Tuesday, April 27, 2010

When Good Bargains Go Bad

I've written before of my love of resale shops. I have no idea what I'll ever do if we move back to Illinois. There is this very special store I frequent called Texas Thrift shop. The awesome deals are worth the strange stank that I must endure while perusing the racks. Plus, I get a chuckle every time I shop there and pause to take in exactly where I'm shopping: beneath my feet is an elevated wood-parquet floor. All around me are floor-to-ceiling mirrors. The entire place has a nightclub feel to it. This place is the song "Let's Get Physical" personified. Yes, it used to be an aerobics studio.

Bitchin!

Anyway, on a recent trip to buy some more clothes for my still-fat post-baby body, I saw some of the options for sale and I wondered, "really? Someone sorted all the donated clothes and actually put this gem on a hangar for sale?" Let me show you a few of my awesome finds:

This one is for your "Red Hat Society" meetings. Can you imagine the luck... finding one of THESE in a resale shop and not having to make your own? Dude, you just saved yourself a trip to Hobby Lobby for rick-rack and puffy fabric paint!


The fabric of these shorts look suspiciously like they used to be curtains. Maria Von Trapp eat your heart out!!!


This shirt just cracks me up on so many levels. 'Nuff said.


This purdy dress if fer goin' out night.



Some folks might not understand why I love to shop at resale shops. It's not that I have a penchant for wearing clothes that other people's sweaty armpits have sweated in. (Wait, is the past tense of sweat... sweat? or sweated? or swite? who cares.) No, it's just that I love to get a good deal. And I guess it's my one way to keep the earth green since I kinda suck at recycling. And, this way, I don't feel so bad when I buy a bunch of clothes that I end up hating in a few months. Plus, these clothes have been road-tested so I don't have to wonder if they're going to shrink in the wash! Either they won't or they already have!!

But, I have to laugh when people talk about frugal living. I don't think that I live frugally, but I guess it's just because this is the way I've always lived and so it's just normal to me. When I listen to financial gurus talk about saving money, I'm always anxious to hear something new. They give advice like, "Get rid of your cell phone" and "get rid of cable tv" and "bring your own lunch to work instead of eating out". Check, Check, and Check. Got something else? "Buy an older car to eliminate a car payment" and "turn your thermostat up a few degrees in the summer" and "buy things generic". Dude, we already DO all these things. I'm still waiting for something new. Two summers ago I hung up a laundry line in the backyard to keep the electricity bill down. That is one thing I haven't really kept up with. Our new laundry machine is HA-YUGE, so just one load of laundry fills two laundry lines. By the time I wash a second load, the first one isn't dry yet. It isn't time effective. And, with 7 people dirtying laundry around here, time is a commodity.

So, if you have some nuggets of wisdom to impart to this bargain shopper, I'm all ears. Or, I guess, all eyes since I'll be reading your response. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go meet up with my bowling team...

10 comments:

June Freaking Cleaver said...

This weekend, I'm introducing our 13-year old granddaughter to the joy of thrift store and consignment store shopping...good thing she's already got a therapist.

Maggie S said...

Okay...is there any chance someone purchased that purple shirt here in TN and took it to TX and donated it? My girls used to be as enthusiastic thrift and consignment shoppers as I...they have just recently decided they won't be seen in there.
Makes me kind of sad, but it's a lot more peaceful now.

A.Marie said...

Maggie, I just know that the purple shirt was purchased here at our little thrifty store in IL, taken to TN and then shipped off to TX! LOL

I love, love, LOVE thrift and consignment stores...that's why I volunteer at one!

Here's a new save-money tidbit: wash and reuse your aluminum foil. I read that in a magazine and went, "HUH? Who has TIME to do THAT?" I'm all for reusing, but this just seems a little much. Anyway, I'm with you: these financial people give all kinds of advice but I have already been doing these things for YEARS! :)

Foursons said...

I have the same problem with financial advice. Except I'm not giving up my cell phone or satellite TV. Forget it.

Sturgmom said...

I love consignment shops, but have a much harder time finding items at thrift stores. Although I did recently pass over a pair of Gap jeans in my size for $4.00. What was I thinking? Still regretting that one...

I'm going to be thinking about the Love Bowlers all day. Was it a play on the words "Love Boaters"? Do they just love bowlers? I'm so curtious, but I doubt the universe will see fit to answer my query.

texasholly said...

You DID get the bowling shirt...didn't ya? Cuz I totally need it.

Jennifer said...

I take a lot of stuff to the consignment shop, but I never seem to be able to find anything there. I think I'm just not good at "thrift" shopping.

Anna See said...

i'm with you. i love wearing second hand clothes! the pictures you sent are priceless! i found 5 tshirt for my college girlfriends that say "Botox, Juvaderm" on them. I'm hoping they'll think that's funny on our next getaway.

Scary Mommy said...

I just discovered the joys of second hand stores last year. It was like finding God.

Melissa said...

I LOVE thrift stores and I miss the ones that were walking distance from my city house, we were there all the time!

Oh and I am so with you on the saving thing. Every article or story I hear I'm like, yeah, so? Been there, doing that, where's the new. I guess when your super penny pincher's like us there is nothing left to pinch...oh wait, I guess I didn't need those cookies at the store :-)