Friday, May 14, 2010

Coming Clean

Okay, I'm going to go ahead and speak out about something I believe in, even though it may be an unpopular opinion or even taboo...

I like McDonalds.

There. I said it (or, I guess, I wrote it). It feels good to just let it out.

Yes, I know that McDonalds is a far cry from what would be considered as "healthy". I use "air quotes" because I think they are "funny". Anyway, I know McDonalds promotes obesity by coupling their yummy, albeit uhealthy, food with toys. I know that the playplace area is just a den of nastiness. I know all the reasons.

Still, I'm lovin it.

Every McDonalds I have ever been to has served me food with very good quality. The buns are fluffy, not flat. The meat or chicken in moist and tasty. The french fries sometimes vary in quality but the diet Coke, oohhhhh the diet Coke. It is nectar from the Gods. The food is all very yummy, and I've also noticed that the quality is very consistent.

McDonalds is not the best way to feed my family. I know that. I try to use the McDonalds plan as backup, rather than a regular meal. But I would never place the responsibility of good nutrition on a restaurant. I don't expect to go in and order hamburger and french fries, then complain because they have too many calories and are making me and my kids fat. People who do that make me really mad. In essence they are saying, "I'm not smart enough to make good choices for me and my family. It never occurred to me that I need to eat vegetables." And, no, ketchup is not a vegetable you moron. I don't need McDonalds to look out for me and my best interests. I am smart enough to make my own choices, or else suffer the consequences of my bad choices - which I can't blame on anyone else. McDonalds never shoved the food into my mouth.

I guess it's just the Republican coming out in me.

17 comments:

anymommy said...

I love their fries. LOVE.

Sturgmom said...

So glad you're feeling better!

There's no better place to get a fountain drink than McDs. I've cut out regular cokes, but when I was drinking them, they definitely taste the best!

Ms. Anthropy said...

Couldn't agree more. I don't need anyone telling me what to put in my mouth, by my own free will.

blessedintexas said...

I love, love, love their cheeseburgers and fries! But shhh...I haven't come out of the closet yet to anyone else :)

Gigi said...

McDonald has THE best fries ever (usually). And their breakfast burrito? Yummy!!

And of course you are right - although Mickey D's isn't the place for a healthy meal - no one is forcing people to eat there.

I could go into a long diatribe here - but I won't - cause now I'm hungry....

Marissa said...

Republican? I LIKE YOU EVEN MORE!!!

Jennifer said...

Well I'm not a republican, but I agree with you. I think it is more about common sense than political affiliation.

And they seriously do have the best diet coke. Heaven.

And we eat there at least once a week. It is right by our house and being two working parents that are always in a rush.... well, we just do. I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees it as a horrible thing.

Shannon said...

I'm with ya! McDs just fits the bill some days. And on the other days, we knoew what a balanced meal is! funny how that works out...Visiting from "Living Life on the Road Less Traveled" by the way :)

Bridgett said...

There is nothing safer than a McDonald's drivethrough on a long distance highway trip. And their fries....

MadewithClaire said...

It's official, we could totally hang out. And I would bring two sweaty Diet Cokes from McDonald's.

Anna See said...

I'm not a Mickey D's fan, but I LOVE ME SOME TACO BELL!

Maggie S said...

YES. THANK YOU.

Emily said...

LOL...I have a friend who feels exactly the same way about McDs!

Leiah said...

I quit drinking cokes but oh my gravy - a large sweet tea from Mickey D's and only a $1 too? I think even Martha would have to say "It's a good thing." lol!

Momlissa said...

I do love McDonalds. The fries are the best in existence. Their breakfast got me through debilitating morning, afternoon and evening sickness when pregnant with my twins. They were each 6 lbs 7 oz when born and I have McDonald's to thank for that. :p

Sugar said...

You're even cooler than I thought. And what's even better these days is that you can get your diet Coke in a STYROFOAM cup!! Yep, 1 step closer to the pearly gates.
(Glad you're feeling better!)

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

It's the crack they put in their fries that I disagree with. It must be crack, because I?? AM ADDICTED!!

KEEP BELIEVING