Wednesday, May 19, 2010

My Kids are Serious Mutha F****** (They Kick A**)

Lately I've been noticing a disturbing trend:


The increased use of bad language in media. For Example:
Inglorious Basterds
Kick Ass
(Just two movies that come to mind)


I just don't know what to type. I can't figure out a really good reason for words that have been deemed as "curse words" to be used as titles for movies. I'm sure if I searched, I could find TV Show titles, book titles, and song titles with colorful language in them too.


Why? WHY WHY WHY? I assure you: I am not a prude. I do, however, have a good set of values. But, even too-permissive parents think their values are good, so I won't use that argument. How about if I say this: I don't want my children to grow up any sooner than they need to. I also want them to appreciate that some activities are reserved for adults. The reward of becoming an adult is that you can do all kinds of cool stuff that you couldn't do as a kid, stuff like... drink, drive, and curse (hopefully not all at the same time).


So, when I take my kids to see "How To Train Your Dragon", while standing at the box office, they see another movie called "Kick Ass". At this point, they probably know that "ass" is a bad word. I'm sure they have witnessed us express disgust when we hear it on T.V. - which, of course, we often do. I'm sure they also know it's taboo because kids get a sense of these things in school when hanging around with other kids.

Why are we, as a society, suddenly so accepting of crude language? Is it our overwhelming desire to exercise our freedom of speech? If I've said it once, I've said it at least 4 times: just because we CAN do something, doesn't mean we SHOULD do it.

Do you think this is ever going to change for the better? Or do you think it's going to get worse? And what is the cause of it?

12 comments:

Anna See said...

Ick! I hate that my kids saw these titles in the newspaper while looking up movies. Not pleased.

Bridgett said...

You know, that doesn't bother me nearly as much as what supermarket tabloids slap on their front covers. Standing there, waiting to check out, and Sophia asks me what orgasm means. Thanks.

Gigi said...

I'm hoping that the pendulum is going to start swinging back soon - parents (such as yourself) are getting sick of their children being exposed to this stuff. And as consumers, your dollars speak very, very loud.

Jennifer said...

First I want to say this post is the perfect example of stating an opinion without passing judgment. Thank you. You'll understand next week I'm writing that. But for real. Thanks.

I agree. I'm a cursor. But I think some words are inappropriate for kids, and I don't want my kids using them. I do my best to not use them at home in front of them. It makes me angry to see these types of things on TV during hours when kids are awake and could be watching TV with their parents. It is like it is shoved down our throats. I'm not sure what to do about it, but I know that I don't like it.

Heather said...

I hear you!!! I do not understand how such language has crept into the mainstream so completely. I find myself blocking my first grader's view of all sorts of things, from the movie theater posters to the check-out line magazines (as someone mentioned above) to even the magazines I get at home. Not that I'm a prude or anything, nor do I get Cosmo - case in point: last week's Entertainment Weekly, which had a huge cover story on SEX and the City. I don't want my first grader asking me what "SEX" is just yet, thankyouverymuch. I want her to be a kid as long as possible, even in a society that seems to think that shouldn't be very long at all. Sigh.

Angie said...

It seems that whenever anyone complains, the entertainment business/media replies with "sex and violence sales." I guess by vulgarly titling movies, etc., they are grabbing our attention at first glance.

I am no prude, and can cuss like a sailor, but there is a time and a place...

Still On The Verge said...

I am with you on this. My girls are all still young and already know all the swears they see. Not to mention really small ones think potty mouth is funny. I wish they would stop this trend.

Lydia

Bear and Bones Mama said...

I hate the potty language that's becoming part of everyday language. I don't even like my kids to say someone is wrong - it's "he was mistaken". Just sounds nicer. Neither of my kids are reading yet - one is on the cusp tho, and then it's all over. I hope this swings back the other way and doesn't get worse.

Emily said...

Yes, it is sad that foul language has become so common place. I had to admit though, for me, this is an area where I struggle. And I hate it. daily.

Jennifer said...

The first thing that came to mind when I read this, was when I was a child, the movie The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas came out. I didn't know the word "whore" or what it meant, but I was talking about the movie and my mom almost had a heart attack that I said that word. And she told me it was a bad word... but I was honestly confused.. I figured if it was in a title, it was okay to use.

Secondly, I don't know if this is in general, or if this is because I moved out of Texas twelve years ago and have since lived overseas and now in New Jersey... BUT... I am appalled at how casually the F word is uttered nowadays. When I was little, it was the mother of all bad words and I didn't hear it often. Kids walking up and down our street are saying it in general conversation and yelling it back and forth to each other and all in front of my six and two-year-old playing innocently outside. Now, I won't say I don't use that word.. I do... and probably more often than I should.. but not around my kids and I don't appreciate others using it in front of them. I'm even more upset over other kids and teenagers, whom my kids look up to, using it.

carina said...

Completely agree. I think it's our job as parents to protect our child's innocence as long as we can. And doesn't society just make that so hard? For me the real clincher are the coffee stands in our area that have turned into BIKINI stands. Girls in lingerie and bikinis making my coffee? Weird, gross, and no thanks. They are rampant, and it's just not something I want my little boys to see. Bikinis at the beach are fine, but aren't you afraid to burn yourself?

Sorry, guess I needed to vent :)

carina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.