Monday, May 3, 2010

My Style... Or Lack Thereof

There are a ton of moms out there who have style. I guess it's not hard. It's not exactly rocket science. But, still, it's just not me.

I'm not a dork. I know how to dress myself and I obey a few basic rules for clothing (ESPECIALLY the one that says, "PRINTS ARE YOUR FRIEND. THEY DON'T SHOW FAT ROLLS QUITE AS MUCH") But really, I don't have a ton of style.

If someone asked me, "what's your style?" Umm.... Saturday-Morning casual? Is that a style? Or, how about, I'm one step fancier than what people typically wear to Wal-Mart at 11pm? And that ain't sayin' much.

I don't own any stillettos. Will it shock anyone if I admit that I don't even want to own them? I think they would hurt my bunion to tell you the truth.

I like wearing ponytails.

My tennis shoes are really comfy and I don't mind wearing them to places other than the gym.

I rarely wear make-up.

I do have a bunch of yoga pants and track pants and leggings.

But, by this definition, I clearly had the "Mom Style" when I was about 17. I have never been a make-up wearer. I've always had a love-hate relationship with waistbands. I think of lipgloss as a big obstacle to drinking my diet coke.

I so WISH I was one of those moms who have that simple elegance. I so WISH I was the woman who didn't look like a mom, but more like a professional. I so WISH I was the lady who was more of a... lady.

But, I guess somebody has to be the friend you can feel comfortable around, right? I'm the one you can tell that you got your shirt at a resale shop (because you know I'm probably wearing at least ONE thing from a resale shop at that very moment!) I'm the friend whose house you can stop by right after the gym, even if you look gross, because you know I won't care. I'm the friend who has toothpaste in her sink and dirty socks on her bathroom floor, so please just close your eyes when you use the guest bathroom. I'm the friend around whom you can feel free to let your hair down and let all your foibles and flaws hang out. Because mine are out there, whether I want them to be or not.

I'm not trying to criticize stylish moms. If anything, I would love to be more like them! But, really, when a stylish mom tells us "frumpsters" that we should just pay attention to our personal sense of style and "buy a few key pieces" to add to our wardrobe, I have to argue that I *AM* paying attention to my sense of style and I don't really have a "wardrobe" as much as I have a hodge-podge of pieces.

So, the next time I gather with a group of girlfriends, and I notice the really "Stylish moms", I'll just smile and know that I saved myself 15 minutes that morning.

11 comments:

GunDiva said...

We are like cyber-twins!

I'm going for my first ever "real" cut and color because I have to sort of start wearing grown up clothes to work. I have to tell you, I'm terrified...what if I can't get my hair into a ponytail when I have actual work to do?

Foursons said...

Your wardrobe sounds EXACTLY like mine. Except throw in a couple of knee-length shorts in there.

Jennifer said...

I wish I had that instinctive knowledge some women have when it comes to what to wear. I'm always worried about "does this look good?" I never know what accessories to put with an outfit so I usually don't do anything. I think more often than not I look an "old woman" because I ten to dress conservatively for work. I need a stylist because unfortunately I don't have the option of not getting dressed. Ugh. Now I'm going to worry about what I'm wearing all day. LOL

Wendy said...

15 minutes? Try two hours. I was going to help a single mom with babysitting while she was trying to return to school... until I found out that part of her stress was the 2 hours she spent getting ready every morning. No time to study! My mascara is smudged!

Bah!

Jenny said...

Sounds like we both have the same "no style" problem, but I'm trying to get a little bit snazzier... maybe break out of the solid color tee rut?

Here from SITS! Have a great day!

Emily said...

I love the way you write!! And I'm a ponytail lover too!

Angie said...

I'll worry about style when my kids are both grown. I do own a pair of stilletos, but only wear them every once in a while to "sit down" events. Ditto on the yoga pants!!

Anna See said...

You and I can hang out anytime. I am a woman who values comfortable shoes. My friend keeps wanting to give me a high heel tutorial. NO THANKS.

myfluffybunnies said...

I have one pair of heels. They're black. I wear them to every special occasion. And, like you, I don't really want to own any more (or practice walking in them!).

PS: So good to "meet" you tonight!

Marissa said...

just found your blog thru mcmommy-you commented on the megathins and we love those too:) and OH MY GOSH, this post is sooo perfect. I am a former P.E. teacher now stay at home mom, so the make-up, dressy clothes, stylish wardrobe is not my cup of tea either! LOVE IT! Love that you were there to set it straight and I'm proud of my so-called wardrobe too-workout, comfy clothes and no make-up is my middle name:) Love your blog by the way, all of the posts I've been reading are great! Oh and a random fact, my birthday is Jan. 21st too-small world!

Angel said...

Wow, okay so You have inspired me to do a style post! Because I have none as well! I totally agree with your style!