Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Project 365 FAIL

So, I've been doing the 365 photo project... you know, where you take a photo every day for 365 days. Maybe in an effort to create more drama in my painfully dull life, I have made the 365 project into a roller-coaster ride of emotions. I have felt like I am going through the 5 stages of grief:

1. Denial: I am going to learn so much! I am going to let out my inner artist! This will be fun!!! Maybe if I improve enough, I can make some money with my camera and get an even better one!!
2. Anger: Why the frack won't my camera focus on what I WANT it to focus on? And, why does my shutter speed slow down all the damn time? How am I supposed to get sharp shots? And DAMN THOSE WOMEN WHO CAN AFFORD THOUSAND-DOLLAR-CAMERAS BECAUSE I WANT ONE TOO!!!!
3. Bargaining: Okay, I know I'm not the greatest photographer, but maybe if I can get some people to tell me my photography is good then I can motivate myself to keep going. If I can just get some help from a professional, everything will be better, and I'll enjoy photography more.
4. Depression: I have run out of things to photograph. I cannot subject myself to one more photoshoot of my mailbox. I might as well face it that I don't have an artistic eye for interesting subject matter so what's the point? Even on my flickr photostream, I have hardly any views and even fewer comments. Proof positive that my photos are the OPPOSITE of what flickr considers "interesting". I give up.
5. Acceptance: I guess photography is fun, no matter what the photographs turn out like. I have the camera, I might as well use it. And if I miss a day or two here and there in the 365 project, who cares? It's not like I'm getting a gold medal or anything for completing it.

So, I guess from here on out, I'm going to just take it as it comes. Some days I might shoot more than one good photo and I'll actually put up TWO or THREE (gasp!) shots in one day. Some days I might take none, in order to avoid subjecting viewers to a picture of my dog or socks, shot out of pure mind-numbing desperation.

If you're in the mood, you can pop on over to my Flickr photostream and check out my 365 project, which I should really call my x project where x is the number of photographs I took and actually felt like posting in one year's time.

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

I tried this. I sucked at it. I just don't need the pressure of doing anything else in my life right now.

LceeL said...

I like your photographs. There are some things you could do better, but I think you're probably limited by the tool you have at your disposal. So. First thing, if I'm to help - tell me what kind of camera you have.

And don't get down on yourself. You are a good photographer. You just may be expecting more than your camera can deliver.

Foursons said...

I didn't join in this because it was just to much pressure. I don't need pressure.

Gigi said...

I just popped over to your Flikr photostream. First, I didn't even know you had one (or what a Flikr photostream was....) and Second, (although I'm no photographer or even a critic) I liked what I saw. I thought your subjects were great. Keep at it. As for any advice, don't ask me. It's all I can do not to get my finger in the picture 50 percent of the time....

blessedintexas said...

The 365 pic a day project sounds cool but it's overrated. Focus on enjoying your kids and take pictures of them when you feel like it. It will mean more to you in the long run. Your pics look awesome. You have a really artistic eye for the world around you. Great work.

Penny@FOSTER2FOREVER said...

I think your pictures are good. I bought Ginny Felch's book on Photographing Children - it's great!

GunDiva said...

I'm impressed as hell that you can do this challenge. I'm a terrible photographer. I like taking pictures, but I don't have an artistic eye. My photo taking abilities are totally WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get). The Ashinator, on the other hand, is amazing.

Wendy said...

Doood. Don't pressure yourself so much. I have an $800 camera, which I built a website to earn for myself, and it is AMAZING. But our $60 snapshot camera is pretty darn good, too. Plus, it actually gets taken places because we're not afraid to break it.

Who wants to carry around a $4k camera (or even an $800 one) just to drop it while you're juggling a kid? Pooo.

anymommy said...

This cracked me up!! That is exactly how I feel about my camera. Let it go, life is too short for these frustrations.