Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Quick Question about Ethics

Okay, so, I have this big set of Pampered Chef pots & pans. They were like $500 retail but I got them for half that because I hosted a big party & earned them. Anyway, they have a lifetime warranty. They are also coated in Teflon. So, anyone who ever uses Teflon pans KNOWS that Teflon is not meant to stay on pans & pots for a lifetime. Because of this, I've ended up replacing all of the pots & pans in my set at least once.

When I say "replaced" what I mean is that I send it back to Pampered Chef and they send me a new one. This is completely on the up-and-up. Normal wear & tear. I hand wash them, I don't use steel wool, I use only plastic or bamboo utensils on them, etc.

But, this last time I sent back my 8" and 10" omelet pans for replacement. They had them almost 2 months, because my replacement request kept getting "stuck in the system". Whatever? Normally their customer service is pretty good but this time, not so much. At all. It ended up coming to blows. And by that, I mean, it ended up with me tweeting about their sucky customer service. If it works for Dooce, maybe it would work for me? Anyway, after numerous strongly-worded phone calls and stating adamantly that YES I would definitly mind being put on hold, connect me to someone NOW, I finally got my pans.

Except, I got an 8" pan and TWO 10" pans.

Should I call them to send it back? I'm sure I'd have to pay shipping for that.

I mean, maybe they sent it to me as a mistake. Maybe they sent it to me out of good faith. Whatever the case is, I'm not sure it's right to keep it. I mean, the value of that one pan is probably over $50.

What do you think I should do?


Texan Mama

13 comments:

Emily said...

Hmmm, that's a toughie. Honestly, I would probably call them and let them know. However, I would make it clear that if they want it back they should sent a box, postage pre-paid and a UPS guy to pick it up at your house. After all, it's their mistake.

Amy O'Connor said...

Emily just gave the best advice IMO. I didn't know that Pampered Chef had lifetime warranty. Now I may have to take look at them!

Jennifer said...

I was going to say exactly what Emily said. Call them and let them know, but if they do want the pan back, it would be HORRIBLE customer service to ask YOU to pay the shipping since it is their mistake. If they want it back, they have to come and get it.. chances are they are just going to tell you it was their mistake and keep it.

GunDiva said...

We're all on the same page as Emily.

Give them a call so that it's on the record that your received one too many and offer to send it back if they are willing to pay postage. Their error, not yours.

Jennifer said...

Emily is dead on.

Foursons said...

Send it to me! I'll take the guilt off your hands. Honestly, I'd keep it and call it an error on their part.

Swizz said...

I agree with Emily. They'll probably just tell you to keep it...I've had that happen with other companies in similar situations.

You could always do a give-away after they tell you to keep it! :o)

Marissa said...

Send to me too...I could surely use a good pan! Ha! I must be awful, because one year for my son's birthday, they sent me double of everything I ordered for the party...whoops! I would normally have sent it back, HOWEVER the shipment got lost in the mail once, then took forever to get here the second time, so I took it as they felt awful for what they had done and I kept it all! It made for a great party...never ran out of plates, napkins, or party favors!

Sugar said...

Honesty is the best policy. Give them a jingle.

Bridgett said...

AGain with the Emily vote. But definitely if it's going to be a hassle, forget it (like, if you have to find the secret fedex drop location and pay for shipping or some nonsense like that). If they wonder where it went, tell them their return is lost in the system.

j/k--I would call and see and not make it a high priority. You didn't walk into a store and steal it. Reporting and and waiting to see is plenty.

texasholly said...

I would call them and tell them you will send them back if they arrange for the pick up. Most likely that will be too much trouble and they will just have you keep them.

Aunt Crazy said...

My gut instinct is to say call them and if they want it back, insist that they pay the shipping, but in all honestly, I'm lazy enough that I would most likely just keep it or give it away to a friend. I love Pampered Chef and am well on my way to stocking my kitchen with their stuff. Good to know that the majority of the time getting warranty items exchanged is easy.

Sturgmom said...

I would just keep it. You went through hell to get it replaced- it was their mistake on both counts.