Tuesday, May 4, 2010

This One Better Be Good

I am married to my polar opposite. Or, maybe, he's exactly like me but I refuse to admit it. Whatever. The point is, he likes what I don't and he hates what I love.

When it's my birthday or Mother's Day, I want to feel pampered. Cherished, even. I want to have my every need met and my every desire attended to. I want to feel like just for these two days out of the year, I am the most important person in the family. He could care less about those holidays. He thinks any holiday celebrated by Hallmark is a big ploy to manipulate consumers into wasting their hard-earned money on pomp and circumstance celebrating a manufactured holiday. Like, administrative assistant's day. Or, Sweetheart's day. I guess he does have a point on those two.

So, how was my birthday, you ask? Well, let me tell you:

January 21st started as any other day. I got the kids up and ready for school. Texan Papa got up and went to work, like usual. A very wonderful friend came over with her beautiful daughter and brought along some McDonald's goodies as a special breakfast treat. We visited and had our playdate, then she left just before lunch. Sally and Violet took their naps. I got dinner started and decided to make myself a birthday cake. I got the mail from the mailbox and found 2 cards for me, one from my mother-in-law and one from my sister with a gift card to Olive Garden! SQUEEEE!!!

At about 4:30, Texan Papa got home from work. I told him about the cake I'd baked, and he mentioned how it looked yummy. He greeted the kids, helped with homework, and sat on the couch. Then he fell asleep for a teensy weensy nap while I finished preparing dinner.

Yes, it's all 100% true. I can't make this shit up.

FINALLY at about 6pm, he is awoken from his nap by the baby. He sees the mail sitting on the coffee table and asks, "Uh, What is today's date?" Of course I answer, "It's the 21st."

him: "Oh.... NO....."

me: "Oh.... YES...."

No presents. No fanfare. No card. Not even a "Happy Birthday" until it was too late. Well, okay, technically my birthday wasn't over yet. But all I can say is this: I have some very serious leverage now that Mother's Day is rolling in. Hubby, get your charge card ready.

11 comments:

Leiah said...

My daddy forgot their 25th wedding anniversary. Mama has a gorgeous diamond and sapphire ring now. They just celebrated their 46th anniversary and he's never missed another one. LOL!

Here's hoping your Mother's day is filled with love, laughter, pampering and laundry done by someone other than you!

Anna See said...

Geez. I sure hope he knows what Sunday is!

Gigi said...

Oh no! Sometimes men are absolutely clueless! Yeah, I'm thinking he'd better get that credit card warmed up big time.

Jen said...

Oh he better get you something good this Mother's Day or I am going to have to share a few words with him on your behalf.

Foursons said...

Forgetting my birthday still wouldn't give me any leverage. My hubby sucks at celebrating me.

Bridgett said...

Wow, that's CLASSIC.

What I wish is that my guy would realize that Mother's Day is, for me, best celebrated without having to be a mother. Take my kids. Go away for the day. But every time I suggest this he thinks I'm kidding.

Jennifer said...

I would not be happy, but I always remind him before it gets close to the big day. I want to make sure that he has no excuse.

Aunt Crazy said...

Awww that's just not right! My hubby isn't good at that stuff either although he did remember to send me flowers for our 15th anniversary last month. I certainly hope he treats you to a GREAT Mother's Day!!!

Mrs. M said...

I think your husband is just being a man, haha. Men never seem to find the same interest in holidays as women. Its really too bad.
Stopping by from SITS!
Emily from kibblendribble.com

Emily said...

Yikes. I would be ticked too. I'm big into being celebrated. ;) My hubs dropped the ball last Mother's Day...so I hope he's planning on making up for it this year! :)

Marissa said...

Now I'm crazy...I've just left you like three comments on diff. posts and I just found your blog like 10min. ago! But had to say, one year for mother's day , I got a container of reeses pieces(my weakness), so I'm hoping for a great Mother's Day this year too!