Sunday, May 16, 2010

Weekly Winners: May 9-15

I'm no photographer, but I love taking pictures. I suck at figuring out what makes a photo artistic. I would really love to have a DSLR camera but I just can't justify the expense in my head or in my wallet. So, for now, I have my point-and-shoot.

Some photos turn out better than others. Some are pretty good, I'd have to admit.

But, I'm kinda getting tired of entering photo contests and losing, especially when I consider the competition I'm up against. Y'know, people with their own photography studio. Folks who make their living from taking pictures. Clearly, I shouldn't win, but still... feels very defeating.

So this week I've decided to participate in Weekly Winners, sponsored by Lotus (a.k.a. Sarcastic Mom). No competition, just here are my best photos from the past week. And I'm proud of them!


I love that we live on a cul-de-sac, and all the kids on the block gathered in our front yard to make water balloons and jump in the sprinkler. This feels so... America.



Little Miss Violet will be 6 months old on Saturday. WAAHHH. Where are the days going???



This moth, and 6 of his identical friends, were perched on the wall outside our front door this morning. I don't know the species but I think it's really pretty!


Go check out the other non-award-winning-but-still-really-great photos over at Weekly Winners.


6 comments:

Amy said...

OMGosh Violet is SO CUTE!

Great shots - welcome to Weekly Winners! (Love your header)

Jennifer said...

I love that sprinkler pic. Very America, and very weekend. Our kids were playing with the slip and slide this weekend.

Anna See said...

LOVE your photos! I so want to take photos that aren't crap, but I know nothing about photography. LOVE the sprinkler pic. It really captures the moment! xo

Denise said...

That first photo made me laugh so hard in delight! Love it!!!

Rachel Cotterill said...

I think they're great pics. Getting a dSLR has been great for me, it means I pay just a little bit more attention to my snaps - but I need to get better at all the manual settings!

Karen said...

I love them all but especially the sprinkler shot! The little boy looks so shocked. Very cool.