Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Oh Snap, I'm 14 In Dog Years

And, I'd say that's an appropriate title right now because that would make me a bitch in heat.

Which I am. It's Texas in the summer y'all. I drove by a bank at 9:30am yesterday and the COMPLETELY ACCURATE temperature sign outside read "92 degrees". Yes, at half past nine in the morning. I don't really mind the heat, though. I'd much rather have it than the cold. But still, the heat makes me wilt a little bit.

So anyway, my 2-year blogoversary came and went. I completely forgot about it. My very first post (aptly titled "My First Blog Post" - gah, I was original, wasn't I?) was all about Sally swallowing a Lego, or so I thought. The mystery remains still today.

The other night, Texan Papa asked me, "Why do you do that?" Referring, of course, to reading blogs. I don't think he gets what the appeal is. I didn't know how to explain... blogging doesn't really seem like a hobby although I guess you could say it is. I just told him that I like it because it's a lot like having female friendships/relationships, without all the danger of getting screwed over. Online relationships are safe. I have lots of people who share a common interest (the internet!) and can relate to me and my point of view. And, there are SO many people online that I can even search out people who have the same views as me: religious, political, parenting, etc. I don't even have to be held back by demographics; I can chat with people in Houston, D.C., Chicago, Ohio, Washington State, Florida, or even England or Australia.

It's weird to think I've been blogging for 2 years now. I have certainly enjoyed it. I don't intend to quit anytime soon. I have a hard time, though, when I ask myself, "How has blogging enriched my life? Made it better? Caused me to grow as a person?"

I don't think my writing has grown very much. If anything, I feel like I have a quickly-dwindling supply of blog-worthy material in my arsenal. I often read other people's blogs, filled with witty repartee and a vocabulary above 3rd grade and I think, "Oh, so THAT'S the word I've been trying to think of! So THAT'S what I was trying to say, only she said it much better!"

It hasn't made me a better housekeeper. Obviously. Anyone who blogs regularly and has more than a dozen feeds in her feed reader probably has let a few jobs slip, in order to read just one more post. Guilty as charged.

I haven't really become a better parent; at least I don't think so. On more than one occasion my toddler has pulled my hands off the keyboard to play with her. (I'm now doing the shameful tucking my tail between my legs thing.)

I guess I've gained a little sanity, though. I know that there are a lot of women out there who want to connect like I do. I know that my parenting choices aren't always bad and I'm not the only one who's ever felt like running away from it all. I've learned that even the most perfect marriages have their skeletons in the closet. I've learned that the saddest, most depressed person in the world might not be able to be saved, no matter how much I try and pray and wish it to be true, because some problems are simply not mine to fix.

I guess reflecting back over 2 years of doing anything consistently is worthwhile. So, how has blogging changed you? Made you better? How?


Texan Mama

12 comments:

Ms. Anthropy said...

I don't think I've cleaned house since I started blogging. The more great blogs I find, the less likely it is to happen, either. There just aren't enough hours in the day to do both, so I choose reading about other peoples lives. Mine isn't very interesting.

Ms. Anthropy said...

Thought you might get a kick out of this... it says in dog years, your blog is 21!

http://www.ehow.com/how_5363910_calculate-dog-years.html

Jennifer said...

Happy blogaversary!

I love blogging and I totally see it as a hobby. The other night David was doing something (stupid) in the yard to the boat and completely unnecessary (in my mind). I was totally frustrated with him and asked, "why do you do that? We have so many things that NEED to be done, why are you wasting time on that?" He just looked at me, pointed to the computer and asked, "why do you do that?" And then I totally got it. It is a way to unwind from the busy day and get my mind off of things that would probably otherwise drive me (to drink) nuts.

Maggie S said...

-Heat, (check){It is so hot I go around panting like a dog, because I really can't breathe in the humidity).
-Housekeeping, (check).
-Family members commenting verbally or otherwise, (check).
-Better for it. WITHOUT A DOUBT MAY HAVE SAVED ONE LITTLE GIRL FROM CERTAIN DEATH OR BEING GROUNDED UNTIL SHE COULD GET A JOB.

...hard to quantify.

nicole said...

Happy Blogoversary! Obviously blogging has improved my repertoire of fake words. :) Honestly, I think blogging and reading blogs has pushed me to try new things and broaden my horizons, to be a bit cliche. But, yes, my housekeeping might be lacking a bit and my kids might think the computer is a member of the family. There's good and bad to it, like most things.

Bridgett said...

I think it has done two things--made me write daily (I've kept several blogs over the past 4 years, many of them daily). The other thing is that it has introduced me to folks I wouldn't know otherwise, even if just online. The world traveler in New Zealand, the goat keeper in Vermont, etc. I've met fellow St. Louis bloggers in person, too. And, so I guess this it the third thing, it makes my brain stretch--I meet and read folks who are not urban white liberal Catholics with kids. Everyone I know in person is at least two (usually at least 3) of those.

Gigi said...

Very good question! Has it made me better? I don't know. It has expanded my horizons. It has opened the world up to me as I meet folks from other countries and states. Heck, I've even met someone who lives in the same area I did for many years. Even if I still lived there our paths would have probably never crossed.

Has it changed me? Yes. It gives me a way to express all these thoughts I have. It gives me something to do. Because, believe it or not, eventually those little ones grow up and you just aren't as essential as you once were (all you are needed for now is a ride and some cash, most of the time). I don't watch much television and even I can only read so much. But yeah, housework it totally suffering.

Happy Blog-o-versary! And many, many more!

Laura @ The Things I Said I'd Never Do said...

Happy 2 year blogoversary. I'm still a new blogger so I can't really quantify how it's changed me other than the occasional guilt that I'm ignoring my kid and hubby. It has, like you helped me find other moms I can identify with. As a brand new mom with new emotions, finding similar moms, especially ones who show me I can survive the first year, has been a sanity saver.

Foursons said...

Can I just say ditto? To all of it?

Swizz said...

Happy Blogaversary!

I agree with you that the heat is suffocating here in Texas right now. These storms are killing me, too, though. Loss of income!

I LOVE blogging. It gives me a chance to share my life with others...it is also a great way to document what is going on.

Too bad I can't even get my own family to read and comment. :o) Not that I REALLY want them to...it is a lot about them!

Keep on bloggin'!

I Wonder Wye said...

Happy Blog-anniversary!

I think the older I get the less appeal summer holds for me -- I don't like extremes and it's HOTHOTHOT. I don't even wanna go outside anymore. And the chiggers and ticks are so bad this year gardening for pleasure is a thing of the past. My next yard will have no grass and a rock garden.

All the comments on why to blog are what comes to mind -- writing, sharing thoughts, insights into different lives, 'meeting' people all over the world...it's all good. It can be a time-suck because it's addictive...there are things that fall by the wayside as I get more involved with blogging...I decided not to feel guilty about not posting every day -- i try for 3-4 times a week, b/c I always check out people who comment on mine.

misssrobin said...

Congratulations on the 2 year mark. I haven't been blogging nearly that long.

It's easy to feel like you are taking away from your kids by blogging, but I think it's the opposite. I think you are giving them a gift. You are teaching them that moms need to take time for themselves, to fill your well. Plus, the guilt you feel when you are done blogging makes you give them a little bit more (which you have now because you took some time for yourself). See how that all works?

Blogging has been therapy for me. It helps me get some of the stuff out of my head. It also give me a way to be productive (I consider blogging productive) when I can't really get out of bed.

Keep blogging for as long as it feeds your soul.