Thursday, July 1, 2010

100-Word Challenge: Blanket

This 100-Word Challenge is for the word, "Blanket". I tossed around the idea of doing something tongue-in-cheek about Michael Jackson's strangely-named children, but then I went another direction.

Here goes:

The trees outside shook and I saw snow crumble as the limbs swayed and smacked against my single-pane windows. The wind was picking up now and the crappy insulation wasn’t doing much to keep the room any warmer. I hurried back into bed after hanging a blanket over the curtain rod.

This was the first time I had experienced cold. I’d lived in Wisconsin for 9 years, but when Mama told me “If you walk out that door, don’t even think about coming back!” I knew I’d be alone for Christmas. No money, no heat, barely enough food. But, freedom.


100-Word Challenge is hosted by Velvet Verbosity (and Lou).

Texan Mama

15 comments:

misssrobin said...

Well told. True?

Gigi said...

Great job! The things you will suffer through for that bit of freedom...

Maggie S said...

Wow!!! I felt freer reading it.

Jennifer said...

I don't like to be cold.

Yes, that was the first comment that popped into my head.

Karen said...

Awesome! You have such a way with words.

Texan Mama @ Who Put Me In Charge said...

Wow, thank you all so much. I'm flattered.

LceeL said...

Well done, Tex. I like this one a lot.

PattiKen said...

Good job. I could feel the cold, the freedom, and the prospect of a cold, lonely, hungry Christmas. I'm not sure I'd have that kind of backbone.

T Opdycke said...

I'm shivering in July! Poignantly said.

Tara R. said...

Very well done. Wonderfully crafted in so few words.

w said...

ok. i liked this. and this challenge sounds way fun! i'm gonna have to check out the hosts and rules!

SassySillySpunky said...

Stopping by from SITS! Have a great weekend!

Lindsey said...

This sounds like a fun challenge. I will have to check it out. I just started including writing challenges on my blog if you want to look.

This was beautiful. I think you did a great job of capturing the imagery. My only suggestion would be to make your verbs a bit more vivid.

anymommy said...

Love it. Nicely done.

Gigi said...

Just stopping by to say "have a nice weekend!" ;-)