Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Gimme Some Advice!


Who loves to give advice? I know I do. You probably do too. It's weaved into our DNA as women to give help to people who need it.

I wanted to share with you a site that I really love called Mamapedia. (It used to be called Mamasource but they've expanded and changed their name.) Mamapedia is a forum for moms to ask questions about anything at all, and get advice from women who have been there, done that. I first joined Mamapedia about 4 years ago, when I lived in Illinois. I was able to find moms in my local area who could help me with everything from finding a good pediatrician or dentist, to the best way to get stains out of my carpet, to figuring out what to do with my kids during the summer months. Mamapedia has been my go-to source for advice for all things parent-related.

When we moved to the DFW Metroplex in 2008, I simply updated my Mamapedia settings to our new ZIP code and voila! Within a week of arriving here I had found a moms group in my neighborhood and the local splash park. The moms who are members of Mamapedia gave me (and will give you) the honest answers to your questions instead of wading through a sea of sponsored opinions or internet searches. Mamapedia offers advice for local moms to find services in their own towns, but it's also a forum for moms nationwide. Some topics don't have demographic boundaries, like what kind of carseat to use on an airplane or When is a kid old enough to enjoy DisneyWorld? When you ask a question, you might get answers from down the street or across the country.

I'm proud to tell you that Mamapedia showcases posts from its contributing bloggers over at Mamapedia Voices (hint, hint, I'm one of them!). You can also search the Mamapedia Lists about everything from what to do about a potty mouth to tips on surviving your first Mother's Day without your mom. The lists will give great ideas and you can contribute your 2 cents as well.

My husband is considering another job move for us, and I've already logged on to Mamapedia in our potential new city. I've gotten information about schools, kid-friendly activities, shopping, safety, real estate, and just general opinions of the area. Mamapedia is definitely a resource I wouldn't ever go without. So go check it out!

P.S. No disclaimer necessary here. I just wanted to spread the word about this site 'cause I love it and I want other women to benefit from Mamapedia like I have.

Texan Mama

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I've posted questions there a couple of times and the response has always been great.

Gigi said...

I often wonder how I (and Man-Child) survived his baby/toddler-hood without the internet. This post reminded me - other moms. And now it's much easier to connect with moms who are going through the exact same issues as you. What a great resource!

Sturgmom said...

I made an account, but I'm still unclear as to how to connect with local moms...