Saturday, July 31, 2010

Is There Such a Thing as "Bad Publicity"?

Have you ever heard the expression: There's No Such Thing as Bad Publicity? Meaning, the light shed on a person or topic, whether that light is positive or negative, is still light. It still garners attention.

Case in point: MTV's The Jersey Shore. Can you think of ONE redeeming quality of any of those characters? They have made themselves into the laughingstock of television. They are the butt of the jokes for Jay, Dave, Jimmy, and all the other late-night hosts. Yet, I saw the cast of "Jersey Shore" on the Today Show earlier this week. The Today Show, for pete's sake!! So, whether they are known for their gel-hair or fake-bake tans, the point is: people know them.

I was thinking about this because I got a DM (direct message) on Twitter the other day from a friend who alerted me that she'd seen another blogger link to me, but not in a positive way. This blogger had written a post about my pictures of my daughters in the bathtub. She thought the picture was inappropriate and could attract perverts online. I was shocked, to say the least, that my picture would be considered inappropriate! But the silver lining is that a large number of her readers clicked through the link she provided (directly to my blog) and visited me for the first time. I was delighted to have new visitors and I hope that my other pictures, as well as my writing content, made them interested enough to hang around.

I ended up commenting on this blogger's main post, saying that I disagreed with her view but that it was her blog, her point of view, her right to express herself. Most of the comments on her blog actually disagreed with her also, which made me feel a smidge better (I didn't think my photo was inappropriate but of course her disapproving remarks made me wonder if I should be censoring myself more.) I'm lucky in that I have not received more than a handful of snarky comments over the 2+ years I've been blogging - not that this blogger was snarky to me. She wasn't. As a matter of fact, I think she explained why she had a problem with my photo in a mature fashion. I consider snark to be immature comments that don't add anything to the dialogue - comments like "You are so stupid" and "Just shut up". I really do believe that it is a person's right to say whatever they want on their own blog, as long as they own their consequences after they hit "publish". I think readers are smart enough to see who is their intellectual equal and who isn't. I've been blessed to be surrounded by the former.

It's hard to keep from getting offended when someone criticizes what we take pride in. Naturally, if we think we do something well, it's painful to hear someone think otherwise. But I've just got to say, when you can find someone you disagree with in a mature, respectful way, it actually feels really nice. Feels like I'm a grown up. A grown up with more visitors to her blog. Boo yah.

Texan Mama

12 comments:

Tammy said...

I agree. It's nice to have a mature and respectful disagreement. Share your point of view and respect the other person's point of view. The post received more attention than I expected. Oh, and I like your blog. I've been coming back and reading your posts, too.

Jennifer said...

:)

But it does feel good to up that visitor number doesn't it. LOL

Jennifer said...

Well, congrats on the increased traffic! Hopefully some of them think you're pretty cool and decided to stick around!

Midwestern Mama Holly said...

I think I was the one that disagreed with her... and yes it is the reason I came here. All in all it was a win for me. Im glad Ive found your blog.

Swizz said...

Oh how I hate controversy! Especially when it starts with an innocent thing like posting pictures of your own children on your own blog.

Sigh.

I am proud of the way you've handled this situation, though! It would probably have caused ME lots of heartache and tears to see a post like that. You took the high road and were very respectful in your responses. Good for you!

And I think the picture is just adorable! Aren't baby bums with lots of squish just too cute!?!

Gigi said...

Oh nice that the differing opinions could be expressed civilly. Unfortunately, there are a few out there who take their relative anonymity as a shield so that they can be ugly and hateful. Isn't it nice to have a mature conversation like a real grownup?

Jen said...

Well, look at you. You know, in the blog world, they say you have made it when you get a negative comment or post written about you. So I guess you have made it. ;)

And for the record I LOVED that photo and thought is was adorable!

misssrobin said...

It is one of those things that has changed with the times. I think every parent took pictures like those of their kids when I was young. Now, people are so skittish that they jump at anything.

I thought the picture was fine. But I knew when I saw it that there would be some who had problems with it.

I'm glad she handled it maturely. And that you got new readers.

Laura @ The Things I Said I'd Never Do said...

Glad it was handled in a mature manner. That's hard to find on the internet! And YAY for new traffic!

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

Hey there new bloggy friend - I just read through your past posts with 'the controversy' and I have to let you know I side with you on this one. Baby butts are cute, and to her comment "How will they feel when they're older?!?" I just have to say, "Um, they'll feel like they were babies." By the time our kids are older the amount of things shared on the internet will probably be MUCH different than it is today. They'll probably be slightly embarrassed, but that's all. But then they'll probably be embarrassed by the fact that they have PARENTS, PERIOD.

So keep taking those cute pictures - and enjoying that new camera!

Becca said...

I'm so glad it was handled maturely. It is cool that you got new readers out of it. I'm a new reader from 31dbbb, and I'm loving your blog design.

Kimberly Gauthier said...

1) I wonder if legit newscasters are offended when they have to interview reality tv jokes.

2) I learned this year that when I put myself out there, I attract the trolls. If someone disagrees with someone I say or do, I would appreciate the bonus of a link and new traffic. Eases the sting a little.