Monday, July 19, 2010

Move Over Rachel Ray...

I really wish I loved to cook. I would be so thrilled if my family ever sat down to the dinner table with a look that said anything except, "Uh, what is this?" Alas, that is the expression looking back at me most nights.

I am afraid of beef, except hamburger. I can cook with boneless, skinless chicken breasts. That's about the level of my expertise. Lots of times my meals end up dry and tough because I'm so concerned about poisoning my family with undercooked food.

I love my crockpot, for the one thing I know how to cook in there: chuck roast. 2 packages of onion soup mix and 6 cups water and a few sliced onions. Check. 8 hours, check.

I don't like cooking because I know I'm not very good at it. If I could make an entire meal of desserts, I'd be happy. I can concoct some awesome cakes, pies, cookies, tarts, etc. But, ask me to roast a chicken and I break into a cold sweat.

Today I went to Half-Price books with my kids and saw this cookbook.


Photo from Amazon


At first, I thought, this would be a good cookbook for my niece, who is 19 and moving into her first apartment this fall. Then I thumbed through the recipes and realized, Yeah, I better keep this cookbook for myself. I'm all about dishes that have 5 ingredients or less, and none of the ingredients can have the word "helper" in its name. My family loves Velveeta, and tater tots, and cooking in the microwave.

Who needs 30-minute meals?

Who needs semi-homemade cooking? I've got College cooking.

Texan Mama

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

That's hilarious (says the girl whose grandmother and mother taught her to cook real down home cookin'). Yesterday we had grilled pork chops (thanks David), cabbage and fresh peas from the garden. Yummmmmm.

Sturgmom said...

You and I must have been cut from the same cooking mold. I don't like it either- because I'm no good at it. But you know what? I swear by Pioneer Womans's recipes. They are pretty simple and foolproof. And that's coming from a girl who catches pans on fire.

Gigi said...

Oh sweets - you are WAY ahead of me in the cooking department (at least you do it!). If it were up to me this family would subsist on microwave popcorn and cereal with a few desserts and appetizers thrown in.....

Gigi said...

Arrrggh! Did it again (hit publish and then had another thought!)

Maybe you should invest in a meat thermometer - Hubby swears by them - and he is one mean cook! The only things that get overcooked is the stuff he puts in the oven and totally forgets about because he's cooking something else.

Anna See said...

let me know how it goes. i HATE cooking.

Jen said...

Hey, any book that helps make dinner is a good book to me.

Pink Party Girl... said...

From one Texan to another....Next to cookin' over an open flame, this cookbook is pretty darn easy! I got it for my college-bound daughter, and she loved it! Thank goodness, 'cause I only had a few of our family recipes to hand out!

Ms. Anthropy said...

I'll stick with the crock pot, if and when I decide to cook. If hubby does retire, he better learn how to do it, because we won't be able to afford to eat out.

Shannon said...

I'm right there with ya! My husband wrinkles his nose at most of what I cook and he wonders why I don't do it more...