Friday, July 23, 2010

My Kids Getting Mauled by a Bobcat Was The Last Thing I thought I'd Have To Worry About In Suburbia

So I was driving my kids to the park.

Hum-de-dum, watch out for the speed bumps... everyone's lawn looks nicer than ours... hey, that's a cute doggy... wait that's not a doggy, but it's too big to be a cat....



HOLY SHIT IT'S A LEOPARD! OH MY GOD A BABY LEOPARD!!! WHAT KIND OF A FREAK HAS A BABY LEOPARD IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD?? SINCE WHEN DO I LIVE ADJACENT TO THE NEVERLAND RANCH???

My next thought was, THANK GOD I BROUGHT MY CAMERA.

I didn't know what to do. I briefly thought that I should try to trap it. That thought flew right out of my head when I got a better look at it...

I know. You are thinking, Uh, that looks like a normal cat. NO. IT. ISN'T. See how huge it is??? Common sense took over (heh, better late than never) and I figured it wasn't a leopard. But I knew that whatever it was, it didn't belong in my neighborhood.

Once it had safely escaped behind a fence, I knocked on the door of the people whose yard that menacing cat was now in. For all I knew there could be a toddler playing back there! No answer. So I drove around to the next block, and I found a house whose backyard backed up to that house. I knocked and a cleaning lady came to the door. I showed her the photos but she was a little skeptical about the cat. 5 seconds later, when the giant cat was in a tree about 20 feet from her head, she was a skeptic no longer.


I called animal control and they were about as helpful as government agencies usually are. The gal on the phone chuckled and said, "Oh honey it's probably just a bobcat."

Wait, What? JUST A BOBCAT???? That's like saying the BP oil spill was just a little snafu.

She continued, "We can't go chasin' a bobcat. They're just faster than us. If we get a whole bunch of reports of sightings in your area, then maybe - MAY-BE - we will put out a trap."

So, in the mean time, it looks like my kids will be staying inside to play or else wearing some protective gear in the backyard.


Image by Ken Danby

Oh, and did I mention that a guy down the street has 5 - yes FIVE - Pit Bulls in his yard? Kinda overkill, don't ya think? Yes, pun absolutely intended.

Texan Mama

23 comments:

Maggie S said...

The stories I could tell...

Remember back when we were kids(a bigger job for me than for you) and we could go around outside. Our parents were probably getting something done while not being constantly vigilant for the sounds of predators of all kinds. Huh.

Amy O'Connor said...

You weren't one of the people calling in saying it was a tiger, were you? LOL! I couldn't believe people thought that a bobcat was a tiger! I came here from West Texas where I had a friend that had a bobcat in her backyard for a pet. Bobcats were our high school mascot, too. I couldn't help but laugh out loud when I heard that the big scary tigers everyone called in about was a 50 lb. bobcat! Still, I would not want a one in my backyard!

Jennifer said...

They come into town here too. Whenever food or water supplies are low they will come into town to try to find something. Also with more and more development encroaching on the area where they live it makes it harder for them. I mean they gotta go somewhere. But I am really surprised that animal control wasn't a little bit more interested in what was going on. And I would definitely be more careful about my kids playing outside.

Nessa said...

Holy cow! I would've freaked out! Life in Texas is never dull!

Happy Friday!

fitfunandfabulous said...

Oh my gosh!!!

Jody said...

I am a huge softy.
My first thought.... maybe it needed water. It looks thirsty. Then I worried someone might hurt it.

I probably would have fed it and gave it water and gotten into trouble for it.

Jen said...

Wow, that is just so unreal.

Carrie said...

i certainly wouldn't want to get too close to it, but it is sooooo pretty

Hot Tub Lizzy said...

I don't really have any viable words, other than that I laughed REALLY hard and your rendition of her accent.

triptofinland said...

Holy cow!
Living in England the scariest we get is foxes, can't tell you what I'd do if I saw one of those chilling in my neighborhood :P
Definitely keep ya kids inside for a while. Hope he leaves soon :)

Sunie said...

Over from SITS! GREAT site! Looks like you put a lot of work into it! Nice Job! Love the pics and stories. Will definetely be checking back frequently!

SunieDawn
Dysfunction In The Heartland
www.sundawn.com

Sunie said...

Seem to be having a typing issue today! Can't Spell My own Name-Let's try again, shall we?

SunieDawn
www.suniedawn.com

Much Better!!

Foursons said...

Oh my gosh, that is just crazy!

Don E. Chute said...

Holy **** Batman err' Catwomen. Did your crack reporting make it to the local news?

Things like this happen in Florida as well. Some(s) moron(s) get these 'exotic pets' when they are cute little babies.

Then they grow up, and the morons say HOLY ****! Little Tabby ain't so cute anymore.

Then the morons, release said 'pets' into the great outdoors.

Possibly the 'Cat' will venture into the yard with the 5 pitbulls, then it's survival of the fittest.

Sorry PETA, not so PC. Good luck to you, and your family.

PLU!

Ms. Anthropy said...

Is this the same one I saw on the news???

Gigi said...

That sounds like animal control all right! They won't do anything unless the animal attacks someone; or you trap it for them! So, what's the point of animal control then??

Good eyes you've got there missy. When I'm driving I never notice anything but the road. I'd have missed the whole thing.

Bridgett said...

Google "savannah cat". I think that's what that is. Your kitty doesn't have bobcat tufts.

Bridgett said...

But it does have the tail....of course either way it's just wrong.

Here in the city, we have a coyote living in our park across Grand from me. But I think more than anything i'd be fearing those pit bulls!!!

Candace @ Candace Creations said...

wow yeah, had no idea it was normal for bobcats to wander or live in neighborhoods! just found you through texas blogging gals!

Selena said...

Wow, it was lucky that you had your camera with you. Is that really a bobcat? It kinda looks bigger than a bobcat to me, plus no beard around the face, but what do I know...

But here, I found a link to the Big Cats of Texas: www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/.../pwd_lf_w7000_0150.pdf Damn girl, it says you have jaguars in Texas.

Here is L.A. we have coyotes, mountain lions and bears that get into neighborhoods near the foothills and mountains. Oh, and maybe the occasional bobcat.

Be safe!

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

Wow, I've never seen one of them. Amazing, and bigger then my dog!

holy cow!

Tracy

The Professional Family Manager said...

Wow--after reading this I feel much better about living in rural upstate NY. We just have bears wandering into our yards. Oh, wait... :-)

Laura @ The Things I Said I'd Never Do said...

I would have crapped my pants. Holy Moly that is terrifying!!