Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Busy Week, and Weekly Winners, July 25-31

Howdy All!


First, an apology to my readers who comment but have noticed my absence in returning a reply - I've been so busy this last week. No excuses, just facts of life. Here's what's going on:


1. I have 5 kids. Thatisall.
2. My parents came in town for a visit on Tues-Thurs.
3. My parents brought us a TON of furniture that they were getting rid of. Y'know, junk like A LEATHER LIVING ROOM SET and SOLID WOOD COFFEE TABLES W/3 END TABLES and 2 LAMPS and THE AWESOMEST HUGE ENTERTAINMENT CENTER EVER. So, basically, I'm happy to take my parents' cast-offs. But, at the same time, I've been like a pinball in a machine, trying to naviagate myself around 2 times as much furniture as we used to have. For now it's all just crammed in our house until we figure out what we want to do with it.
4. I'm doing the ProBlogger "31 Days to Build a Better Blog". This requires daily reading (not coupons or recipe cards or backs of cereal boxes), and also implementing strategies to make my blog better. It's kinda kicking my ass.
5. Oh, I got a little thing called MY NEW DSLR. So, I'm loving it, trying to memorize the manual, taking photos of anything that will sit still and some things that won't.
6. Preparing for a mini-vacation to San Antonio this week. The Texan Family is going for a 3-day stay on the bill of a time-share resort. We go for a few days to a resort, then listen to the spiel about buying a time share, then tell them "no thanks!" and go to the waterpark. We've done this before and had a great time, and it was surprisingly a low-pressure sales pitch. We'll only be there a few days so we're hoping to hit Six Flags Fiesta and also see the RiverWalk. And, we're going to try our hardest not to melt in the horrendous heat.
6. Did I mention that I have 5 kids?


WHEW.

Now, a few pics from this past week. You can see all my photos on my Flickr Photostream.

There was some controversy about my last Weekly Winner's Post. You can read about the hub-bub on my post about "Is There Such a Thing as Bad Publicity?"

Some of these photos were taken with the new camera. Some with my older Canon Powershot. Try to guess which, then look at the photo in Flickr (just click on the photo) and it will tell you which camera was used for the shot.

Spider
Spider

A Quarter Burning a Hole In My Kids' Pockets
Candy at the Mall

8 months
Sally, 8 months old

Burgers & Coke
Burgers at Steank-n-Shake

Linus up in the Tree
Linus in the Tree

Check out the other Weekly Winners over at Sarcastic Mom!



Texan Mama

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ooooh.. have fun! I love San Antonio! When I was in college ( and for a few years after until I left Texas) my friends and i went yearly in February for the Texas Music Educator's Convention. We always had a blast.

Jennifer said...

My brother, SIL and my nephew are going to San Antonio this weekend, to Sea World.

And, OMG, the 31DBBB is totally kicking my butt too. I got this sick this weekend and I wasn't able to the do the editorial calendar or the mall visit (which was planned). I'm going to have to make it up next weekend. Add to that I have no idea what to write about tomorrow.

Heather said...

GREAT shots-- I love the gumball machine one! Thank you for stopping by my blog- I appreciate it :)

Tara R. said...

Wow... Linus is Waay up that tree!

Anna See said...

WOW! I am LOVING your photography. I can't take a picture but would love to learn how. Have a great trip to San Antonio!

niseag03 said...

First, ENJOY San Antonio! I wanna goooooo...

Second, though, the candy machines shot? LOVE. Great eye!

mama hall said...

YUMMY pictures! I know SA will be eye candy for you & your new camera. And have fun!

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

Love that picture of the gumball machines - great color & focus!

Melissa said...

Wow, you do sound busy! As a fellow recipient of parental furniture castoffs, I can honestly say I LOVE it. I got a leather set from them too and put it in my game room. It's so cozy in there now! Thank God for generous parents, huh? :)

Bridgett said...

Big tree! Great photos. Wish I was going to San Anton. One of my fave places.

Melani said...

I love getting stuff from my parents too!

I looked at almost all your pics, I must say, you and I take a lot of the same kind of pics! Cute ones of the kids and then bugs and spiders and the moon in clouds! I love taking different pics from different perspectives, they all are beautiful!

Lady V dZine said...

The spider picture and the gumball had to be done with the new camera, right? Either way, all of them are great!