Monday, August 9, 2010

In Search of the Perfect Popcorn

I loves me some hot buttery popcorn. MMmmmmmMmmMmmMmmmMm....


My food vices aren't very complex; diet Coke. Hershey's kisses. And popcorn. But, sadly, my quest for the Perfect Popcorn has been unfulfilled, to say the least.

I've been on the microwave popcorn bandwagon for a LOOONNNGGG time. But all those dead kernels in the bottom of the bag leave me feeling cheated. All those little kernels never reached their full potential! Yes, it's quick and easy but not very tasty.

Recently I bought an air popper. On the first use, it popped all but 2 kernels of corn! And when I ate the first bite, I remembered why I hated air popped popcorn: it squeaks. It is so completely devoid of any butter or oil or salt or chemicals (you know, all the GOOD stuff) that it tastes like fluffy cardboard. I poured on the butter but no amount of butter could save that popcorn.

I've tried Jiffy Pop. That is a very novel idea and I like it a lot. It's a definite maybe, but it too leaves a lot of kernels in the bottom of the pan.

Finally, I took my big Pampered Chef Dutch Oven and poured in some oil and a little melted butter and popped the popcorn the old-fashioned way: in the pot. It was pretty delish. I added some butter on top and a little salt and it was just as good as when I was a kid, before the invention of microwave popcorn.

Although, the best popcorn, hands down, is the popcorn from the movie theater with the fake butter on top. Have you ever gone to the movie theater just to buy the popcorn, not even see a movie? Like, walk in to buy the popcorn then just leave? Yeah, I've never done that either. Ahem.

So... your thoughts on Popcorn? Hello? Is anyone still reading???

Texan Mama

15 comments:

misssrobin said...

I'm probably going to make you sick, but my favorite popcorn is air popped, plain.

It doesn't taste like cardboard; it's more like styrofoam. Yum. Like plain rice cakes.

I know - strange. Also, kind of good for you. Whole grain without a lot of extra. Good for the munchies without the guilt.

And I have very sensitive taste buds so I get overwhelmed with flavor quite often. Simple is better for me.

But I've done my time with theater popcorn, to be sure.

Gigi said...

I love popcorn! For microwave popcorn, hands down, the best is PopSecret Homestyle.

mama hall said...

Have you tried The Popcorn Stop on Cooper in Arlington? They have REALLY GOOD POPCORN.
That is so funny about the squeak because as soon as I read it I could hear it & feel it in my teeth. Eck! Like eating a rice cake.
My fave is Archer Farms brand Kettle Corn. A little sweet and a little satly and a lot yum.

Jennifer said...

The old fashioned kind really is the best. But I don't even know if I could make it that way it has been so long.

Jennifer said...

I make popcorn in my dutch oven quite a bit.. it really is better that way! Target has some pretty good popcorn when it is fresh.

Kacie said...

Stove popped! In a regular pan. With a few Tb of vege oil and a 1/4 of a cup of kernals out of the cheapest bag we can find at kroger. Salted... no butter.
YUM. My fav.

Sturgmom said...

I like my air popped popcorn, but I think it could be WAY better if I could find movie butter popcorn sold in a store somewhere.

I don't like mine to be too salty, so movie popcorn can even be a let-down for me. But if it's freshly popped with lots of the fake butter, YUM!!!

Kirby said...

Thats funny you wrote a blog about popcorn because as I'm sittin at the computer I saw yours about searching for the right one...Haha, kinda freaky, huh! I actually love Orville Redenbacher's Natural Simply Salted popcorn! It's delish!

Thanks for writing me back on the comment of the perfect Texas waffles you had! Happy Tuesday!

Jen said...

I have to agree that movie theater popcorn is the best but hold the fake butter please, its gross.

Katie said...

Love to make popcorn from the real kernels on the stovetop! So natural and yummy. Movie theater popcorn is sinfully good, though!

Walker Family said...

I used to work at a movie theater and I never got tired of eating popcorn. Although the popcorn at UA theaters never seems to be as good. And yes, I have gone to a theater just to buy popcorn. Great, now I'm hungry. Thanks alot!

lexlocilori said...

I make mine the old fashioned way with coconut oil and add cracked pepper and sea salt. it is divine! I havent bought micropop in years.

nicole said...

We use an air popper too. I just spray butter on it while it is popping and add some popcorn seasoning or salt and pepper. It is not the best ever, but it is way cheap and decent. Kroger popcorn is my favorite microwave brand. I only kind of like movie popcorn. I am weird.

Maggie S said...

Jiffy Pop is TOO expensive. The old fashioned way is just as fast.

dianthe said...

i have gone to the movies just to buy popcorn many times - i've even told the ticket taker, "can i just run in and get some popcorn" and they never bat an eye - so i must not be the only one!

i gave up microwave popcorn about a year ago after reading an article on how bad it is for you - now i use my Stir Crazy popcorn popper - coconut oil, real butter and lots and lots of salt - it's hands down, the best homemade popcorn ever!