Saturday, September 25, 2010

10 Things that Make Me Happy

Ten Things that Make Me Happy
Besides the usual answer - my kids, my faith, etc. Those things always make me happy. I'm talking about the unexpected things that give me an instant pick-me-up that I just can't deny.

1. Being nice to other drivers. Maybe they don't care. But, then again, maybe they do. I like thinking that, after I let someone into the long traffic line, they say to themselves, "Oh that just really made my day!" Makes me hope/believe that they're going to pay it forward. Maybe they won't. But then again, maybe they will.
2. Putting on a coat for the first time in the fall, and finding something good in the pocket. I surprised myself last fall when I pulled out a baby pacifier from the pocket. You wouldn't think that's such a great surprise, but it immediately reminded me how my little baby had gotten so big - just since the last time I'd worn that jacket. Of course, finding a $5 or a $10 is always nice too!
3. Hearing a song on the radio that was one of my favorites in high school.
4. Tom Selleck's smile. Makes me weak in the knees EVERY TIME.
5. People of Wal-Mart. I shouldn't love this site so much but I do. It seems that the only time I can escape the house sans children is after they have gone to bed, but the freaks really DO come out at night at Wal-Mart. Then again, what's that saying about me?
6. Coming home to a clean kitchen. My husband and I are opposites when it comes to cleaning the mess of the kitchen. Oftentimes, he wants to go out to escape the mess. While I can't really argue with that logic, I prefer to clean up before leaving because coming home to counters that are piled high with dishes, junk mail, toys, and other random bits is just so depressing. I just love that feeling when I enter my home and the first thing I see is a sparkling counter top. It screams YOU DON'T HAVE ANY IMMEDIATE WORK TO DO!!!
7. Braids on a little girl. Sure, I like a french braid. And the two skinny braids that come from the temples and are held together in back with a rubberband, crossing over a cascade of straight hair, is also very pretty. But my very most favorite braids are the kind like Half-Pint wears in Little House on the Prairie: starting just behind the ear and weaving down into two thick ropes that lie on her shoulders. Those braids say  I'm not in a hurry to grow up. They say I took the time to comb and fix my hair this morning. They say, aw gee Pa. Tell me what the world is all about...
8. This video (Thanks for the link McMommy!)

9. My child laying his or her head on my shoulder. Maybe because they're tired, maybe because they want to snuggle. Whatever the reason, it melts my heart.
10. The rain, the thunder, the lightning. All of it. I love a rainstorm. It's raining outside right now, and I'm suddenly in a much better mood.

Texan Mama

9 comments:

Gigi said...

I love the things that make you happy! And that video was fabulous!

By the way, when you are nice to other drivers you do make their day and they do pay it forward - well, at least if it's me!

artsy_momma said...

People of Walmart is always a good time :) Stopping by from SITs!

mama hall said...

totally agree w #6. sparkling clean countertops are the way to my heart :)

Foursons said...

People of Walmart definitely makes me happy. And little girls in braids always makes me smile. Then I feel sad because there are no braids in my house.

Jennifer said...

Texas storms are the best. We don't have that piddly rain here.


my little one is sleeping on me right now and that makes me very, very happy.

anymommy said...

A lovely list. Clean kitchens make me ridiculously happy.

Bridgett said...

Good list. Love that video, have shared it all over the place. And number 1? It was my new year's resolution and the only one I've ever kept for this long. Because it DOES make me happy.

McMommy said...

So I was just mosing around in my Reader and loved your title and clicked to read! And then I read #6 and got all excited because I love NOTHING MORE than coming home to a clean kitchen!!! Seriously, the sparkling countertop...it's like you are reading my mind!! I just walked in tonight and saw my glistening countertops and my heart skipped a beat. (don't ever let my sister know I said that. She will never let me live that down.)

Anyway...then I read #8 and squealed with excitement!!! LOVE THAT VIDEO! And so happy you enjoyed it too!

Shannon said...

Is it just me or does that guy in the video look like a fresh-faced Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers?!?
PS love the list!