Thursday, September 9, 2010

8 Things that Make Me Wish I Was 25 Again

I met Texan Papa when I was 25 years old. Eight months later, we got hitched! While I've never regretted a single moment of my married life (fussed and fumed and complained, but I'd do it all over again!) there are times I am quite melancholy about being single and childless and unattached.

When I got married in 1998, two of my bridesmaids were married and three were single. Twelve years later, those three bridesmaids are still single. Never married. Which, frankly, is VERY strange to me because all of these women are fabulous. I guess men must be intimidated by their beauty, intelligence, and just general awesomeness.

Having those friends is good for me. It forces me to remember that part of myself that is not compartmentalized as "MOM" or "HOUSEWIFE" or "HAVING GOOD JUDGMENT". (The last one only applies when sipping margaritas).

8 Things I Love About My Single, Childless Friends
1. They have really flexible schedules. They can travel without having to get prior approval from a husband and without juggling carpool schedules.
2. They usually subscribe to way better magazines than me. When I go to their houses, I never see duplicate copies of Highlights or Parenting. Instead, I see Glamour or Entertainment Weekly.
3. They are good gym buddies. They know how to work out and can motivate me, since they don't have the excuse, "I was up all night with a teething baby!"
4. They drive better cars than me. And by "better" I don't mean more expensive. I mean a car that's free of melted crayons, stale Goldfish crackers, and McDonalds Happy Meal toys.
5. They don't know what BooBah is. And that's a good thing.
6. They can usually fill me in on the deets of my favorite TV shows, since during the hours of 7pm-9pm I am usually preoccupied with wrestling kids into pajamas, forcing their mouths open to shove a toothbrush in there, and telling them no less than 17 times, "you can tell me that in the morning. Now don't get out of bed again. I MEAN IT THIS TIME!!!"
7. My saggy, chewed-up boobs can live vicariously through their perky, toned boobs.
8. I can talk to them on the phone for an entire hour without once having to listen to THEIR kids interrupt THEM. (I wish I could say the same for their end of the phone line. But they are way forgiving to me like that.)

I {heart} you guys - Wilson, Kris, and Nicola. You guys rock!!

This post was a part of MamaKat's Writer's Workshop. Join in the fun & check out some other great posts!
Texan Mama

13 comments:

Elaine A. said...

I love the "nicer" cars one - ha!

I don't really have any single girl friends anymore but two of my good friends just had their first babies, in their mid 30's. So, they are just understanding all of that stuff... ;)

Cute post!

The Mommy Mambo said...

Ya, but they are so bored,life is meaningless and shallow for them...

(shut up; believing this makes me feel better)LOL

Nice post.

Lesley said...

I can totally identify with #4. It's amazing what a child can stuff under the different compartments and cupholders! Chose the same prompt. Love your list!

Julie said...

Glad I'm not the only one with melted crayons and crackers in my car. Stopping by from MamaKat's.

Jennifer said...

Oh my Lord my car.... Let's don't go there.

I have no idea what a Boobah is and I don't want to know.

And here's to a margarita and living it up like we're single come October!!!

Kirby said...

I have so many stale crushed up Goldfish crackers in my backseat it's crazy! I just pretend I dont see them everytime I open the door and hope they magically go away!

Foursons said...

They can go out and paint the town red, not just beige.

Gigi said...

Holy moly! This post has made me realize - I've been married so long I don't even remember what single life was like!!

Emily said...

oh, I love, love, LOVE this post!!!!

Jennifer said...

*I* know what a Boohbah is... my son LOVED them when he was a baby! They creeped me the heck out! I also realized that we have lots in common... aside from the Texas thing ( hey! I know I don't live in Texas now, but a Texan never gives up their residence, right?) we must be about the same age. Because I got married two months before I turned 26 and that was in 1998.

MommyNeedsCake said...

I love number 4 - that's so my car too! Great post - dropping by from MamaKat's

handstowar said...

I'm beginning to compile a list as you have done for myself! It is all true ('cept I'm a dude... so I dont have to worry so much about my boobs getting chewed up)

Nice blog!

Shannon said...

Oh Lord! A friends mom bought a Boobah at a yard sale one time and tried to give it to my daughter. I hid that thing in my MIL's basement before Savannah would realize she missed it. Creepy as hell! Then my MIL found it later and never knew where in the world the thing had come from!