Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Hair Therapy

When it comes to my hair, I'm not kind to myself. Frankly, I'm shocked that my hair hasn't all fallen out at the root by now.

I've been coloring my hair for over 20 years with Nice 'N Easy. Never once have I paid to have my hair colored at a salon. I don't even know how much that costs, but I know it's a lot. And I know that I'd be sitting in the twirly chair with my hair wrapped up in a ball of aluminum foil, and all I'd be thinking about is all the groceries I could be buying with what it cost to color my hair.

Even the barest essential - a simple haircut - I get maybe twice a year. Three times if I'm really on the ball. In between professional haircuts - and by "professional", I mean "Wal-Mart Hair Cuttery stylist" - I just cut my own hair. I go at it with wild abandon and pray for the best.

Today was my breaking point. My hair was looking fuzzy and unmanageable and just... blah! So, I made an appointment at an Aveda salon. I just made the appointment and went. I thought, "I DON'T CARE HOW MUCH IT COSTS!" (but how much DOES it cost???) I felt weird asking about the price when I arrived. I thought, if I really have to pay like $75 just for a haircut, I might have to just be a schmuck and cancel my appointment. Thank goodness it was only $50.

ZOMG WHAT AM I SAYING? "ONLY" 50 DOLLARS?!?!?!

But, like I usually do, I reasoned it all out. If I got a haircut every 6 weeks, or even every 8 weeks, at, say, $25 - plus tip, that would be $30 - then getting one haircut every 12-16 weeks and paying $50 - plus tip, that would be $60 - is the same thing. I can only imagine how much my Grandma-in-law pays to get her hair done weekly. If it's, say, $10 each time, then after 5 weeks that's $50! Plus tip!!

Okay, so, once I successfully didn't feel guilty anymore, I was able to sit back and relax and enjoy my haircut.

Then I got home and Texan Papa said, "I thought you were going to get your hair cut. What happened?" He could NOT even tell. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I mean, I don't exactly want him saying, "EEK! WHAT IS.... THAT???" But it would be nice to know that my $50 didn't just get flushed down the toilet either...

Texan Mama

8 comments:

Wendy said...

Hello! Pictures?

Mama, no wonder we've seen posts that are all, "I HAVE LOST MY EVER LOVING MIND".

I spent several years shaving one leg at a time, once every two weeks, so I do understand. But do something for YOU every now & then! If hair isn't where it's at for you, then pick something!

I thought my home hair coloring was fine till a stylist begged me to let her fix it, with tears in her eyes, and gave me a huge discount because she felt she was doing something for humanity as a whole to repair my hair. WOW. I went au naturale after that rather than do it by myself again. I didn't realize what a difference it made. It's a rule for me now: leave the color to the professionals.

PS - your post reminds me of me when I had long hair. If something didn't look right when I was fixing it, I would just trim it till it did. Then when I got my 2x-yearly "pro" haircut, the girl at Pro Cuts would always always say, "WHO CUT THIS???"

Texan Mama, that was in COLLEGE. Get your hair done properly. Do it for you! Do it for me! Do it for all mankind! Just do it!

Jennifer said...

My Aunt was a hairstylist when I was growing up and I have seen some CRAZY stuff come into her salon that had to be repaired. Now I'm a nut about my hair. I always go to a professional and I get it colored and cut and I get my eyebrows waxed. Totally worth it. I go about every six weeks. But I don't go to a fancy place like Aveda. I bet you could find a small, local shop that would charge a lot less, but do a hell of a lot better job than Walmart.

Maggie S said...

Everyone has a hair story. Like the time(s) I pissed my mom(a licensed cosmetologist) off and she burnt my head with an perm formulated for silver hair. Or the time...never mind. I am now faithful to the beauty college. All three of us can get "did" for $40.

Kirby said...

Dont feel bad I have colored and got my haircut before and my hubbie didnt even notice! Its so irritating!

Jen said...

You do not want to know what I spend on my hair.

And yeah, HELLO? Picture.

Melani said...

Well, I can agree on one hand, you want him to noctice, but then on the other hand, they must have done a rockin' job for him NOT to notice it too much! Just like the last time I went and got my hair "done" and I mean blonde highlights, well at first my hubby didn't notice, it was so subtle and then he says oh yeah it is not so dark, LOL I am waiting for the grays so I can color it all the time...I am so joking!

Gigi said...

I can totally relate to coloring at home - unless you want hilights or to go lighter - then, for all that is good in the world, just don't. I can even go so far as to agree that you can probably cut your own bangs. But cutting the rest of it? No. Especially, if wearing it straight. That is totally worth the money to me. Especially, if you have a guy (or a woman) like I do who makes you feel ultra-gorgeous by the time you leave, then it is worth every penny and more.

And yeah, unless I do something extremely drastic - my husband can never see a difference either.

But I bet we could see how fab this cut is if you'd post a picture!

Bridgett said...

It's the one thing I do. I get my hair cut every 8 weeks and colored 4 times a year. I always do highlights--I like my hair color, I just need to touch up a bit o'gray at my part. Jo knows what she's doing and I trust her. I have terrible hair that thinned with my hashimotos syndrome before I got it under control. I would look like a before photo for hair loss for women treatments if I didn't have Jo.