Monday, September 6, 2010

How to Keep Jerks from Stealing your Blog Content


A long, LONG time ago, not long after I began blogging in 2008, I wrote a post that touched a nerve with one of my readers. She decided to voice her opinion about MY opinion by copying the text of my post and placing it in her own post, then writing her reaction underneath it.

I don't mind someone disagreeing with me (especially when it's done in a respectful manner). After all, every one of us has the responsibility to be true to ourselves and, when the appropriate time presents itself, to share our feelings in a tactful way.

I didn't see this blogger doing that. I didn't see her writing her post as a disagreement. I saw her attacking me. But, more than that, I saw my own words being published in someone else's blog post. And THAT is what really pissed me off.

Being a part of the SITS challenge of 31 Days to Build a Better Blog, I have met some wonderful ladies who have helped me with my internet skillz immensely! One such woman is Marla. She directed me to this post that gives simple directions so that you can keep jerks hackers folks from being able to highlight and copy the contents of your blog.

Go on, try it. Try to highlight some of my blog content. I'll wait...

Did it work? No?

Isn't that cool? Now you go try it too.

I'm sure I'll get someone who comments... "you know, there IS a way around that..." Yes, I'm sure there is. But for now, let me feel happy about trumping the jerks out there. BOO YAH.


Texan Mama

16 comments:

Kirby said...

Well that is pretty cool right there, I'm going to have to check that out and do it to mine too! Thanks for the post and the tip!

Melinda said...

PURE GENIUS! I don't think I write anything worth stealing on my public blog, but my in-laws are forever taking stuff from my private blog (hey, it's private for a reason!). Thanks so much for posting this!

Leiah said...

Just did it - thanks so much for sharing!

Raising Madison said...

that is pretty cool, but if you are reading your post in google reader you can still copy & paste.

simplysandi said...

I hadn't really thought of anyone wanting to "steal" my content. I guess I better protect myself! Thanks for the tip!

Melissa said...

I hate thieves, I had my blog scraped for weeks, my whole post, pictures, everything were being republished on another website.

By the way, I use Chrome and I had no problem highlighting, right clicking and copying your whole post. Just an FYI.

Swizz said...

I guess I would be angry if someone were copying an entire post, but not if they were quoting me and then attributing that quote to me. If they were commenting on an entire post, I don't know how I'd feel. Even if they DIDN'T quote the entire post if it were a negative review of that post I'd still be upset...it probably wouldn't be the quoting but having someone negatively criticize me.

Jennifer said...

I never even thought about that! Thanks for posting a link for how to prevent this!

Gigi said...

That is cool! Thanks for sharing. Eventually, I'll get around to it. I'm also on Chrome and I can't copy it.

Plus Size Barbie said...

Wow that was amazing! Stopping by from SITS to say HI!

E said...

Visiting from SITS.... and you got me I had to try to copy. lol Neat trick will have to read your links :)

The Mommy Mambo said...

Yeehaw for you! I just hope I'm writing something worth copy pasting!
But just in case I am, and one day someone might want to pay me millions...this will be handy!

Following ya! (A FELLOW TEXAS GIRL!)

Melissa (Confessions of a Dr. Mom) said...

Thank you! Great tip, I need to do this. I had a couple of sites copy my whole post and put in on their site. Even though they credited me, I didn't think that was the right thing to do...so I asked them to remove it.

Melani said...

This is double Awesome! I already did it to my blog, so thanks for the heads up! So easy to do!

Not Just Another Jennifer said...

Very cool! I just added it to mine! Thanks!

~SHANNON~ said...

A super awesome idea! Thanks so much for the help- and passing on this link to me! Very, very cool idea!