Thursday, September 16, 2010

Inspired

Simply put, my sister is who I want to be when I grow up. She's got the qualities I wish I posessed. She is, and always has been, an incredible role model for me.

My sister Jan is 13 years older than me. The year I started kindergarten, she started college. I didn't really get to know her before she had to leave home, but that didn't stop me from idolizing her. I thought she was glamorous and a genius and perfect. I still remember a slumber party she had in our living room, and I was crushed when my mom wouldn't let me stay there with all the teenagers.

Putting my sister up on a pedastal wasn't so odd, as I'm sure many younger sisters do of their older sisters. Jan was someone I could look up to. But as I matured, I looked to her as someone who blazed a trail before me that I could follow. Jan was our family's first college graduate, and my parents made sure my two brothers and I knew it. Seeing that pride in their eyes, I wanted to make them proud too, just like my sister had. After she got married and had a child, I saw what a good mother she was, and I wanted to raise children like she did. Her three children have grown into beautiful, intelligent, engaging adults, and I hope that some of her parenting skills rub off on me because if my kids turned out like hers? I'd be relieved.

When she was here visiting last week with my niece, I thought about how she's now working full-time again and I'm staying home. We both joked about how tired we were. I thought about how nice it would be to trade places. Unfortunately I don't have any training as an engineer so I'd be sunk. However, she has already done the stay-at-home mom gig. She knows what's up. She could, and has, done it. And for the first time in a long time, that amazement came back to me. I thought to myself, "Wow, she really CAN do it all. She can bring home the bacon AND fry it up in the pan!!"

But more than what she can do, I'm inspired by who she is. Jan is a reliable friend. She is thoughtful and caring. She makes time for people, especially in this world where time is a precious commodity. She is long on the compliments and short on the criticisms. She has a good grip on when it's best to just say nothing, in order to keep a situation de-escalated. She is generous. She is gentle. She posesses so many qualities that I wish I had. But even if I don't have them, at least I have a great friend who does. I count myself lucky to have her in my life.

This post was part of MamaKat's Writers Workshop. It was inspired by the SITS BackToBlogging event. Thanks to Standards of Excellence, Westar Kitchen and Bath, and Florida Builder Appliances, for the prizes offered during the Back to Blogging event.


Texan Mama

8 comments:

Gigi said...

What lucky, lucky women you both are! I have always wished I had a sister.

mama hall said...

what a wonderful post. i have a sister 10 years younger than me and i pray we can hang out someday as friends and get to know one another as women. Sisters are God-given friends! :)

Jennifer said...

Now I wish I had a big sister. And I bet you are more like her than you could ever imagine.

Kirby said...

That makes me wish I had a sister but instead I have 2 punk brothers! On the upside I'm happy I do have 3 girls of my own that will be able to be close like that, or they will hate each other...I hope not though! :)

Penelope said...

Wow! What a great post! I hope to meet you at bloggy boot camp.

parentingBYdummies said...

Man I wish I had a sister to worship me like this. My little bro did an okay job of it before Dumb Dad came into the picture. Now he's all over that guy. Like he was responsible for making him cool enough for human interaction! That was all me. You'd think the little dork would be a little more grateful. It's not like it was easy.

Your sis is a lucky lady and looks like so are you!

The Laundry Ladies said...

This makes me feel a little weepy! I don't have an older sister, but I have a sister that I am VERY close to - such a treasured relationship.

Anna See said...

she sounds wonderful! what a tribute!