Thursday, September 23, 2010

Jolly Green Giants

I never understood when people would say that their kids were "eating them out of house and home".

What could you possibly mean? Kids don't eat much. A sandwich, a banana, maybe a package of fruit snacks. How could that be a problem?

Oh how stupid I was. How very, very, monumentally stupid. I look back on those days and sigh, saying to myself, "Ignorance WAS bliss. It really was."

I envy you people who have just two children at home to feed. You buy a box of those fruit roll-ups for school lunches and after school snacks... a box of 10 would last me 2 days, 3 days if I can hide them. Basically anthing that has 10 servings or less is gone in two school lunches, plus after school snacks. It's not like I'm shoveling food in my kids faces, either! I give them a lot of healthy options. After school snacks are usually cheese & crackers, a piece of fruit, or a small bowl of chips. Always milk or juice to go along with it. Then at dinner, I love to offer choices. I'm all about the choices. I think it makes kids enjoy dinner more if they feel that they get to pick what they're eating instead of being forced to eat only what I choose to serve. Sometimes those choices include pickles. Sometimes they include cottage cheese or leftover spaghetti or canned peaches. But still, lots of choices.

With kids growing bigger every day, their portion sizes just aren't what they used to be. I can't divide a chicken breast between two kids anymore, I have to give each a whole breast. (Okay, slow down. before you yell at the monitor WTH??? A whole chicken breast??? I never serve whole chicken breasts. When I buy fresh chicken breasts, I divide them before wrapping & freezing them. I always cut them in half, into cutlets, to begin with. So, technically in the past, they'd been receiving 1/4 of a chicken breast and now they're getting 1/2 a breast, i.e. the whole cutlet, which is the same size as Texan Papa and I get too.) And, anything that's pre-packaged with two of something (think Twinkies) used to be split between two kids. Not any more - they get the whole package. Which depletes my food supply twice as fast.

Another thing that I just have a hard time wrapping my brain around is the clothes. In my attic, I have a storehouse of Rubbermaid bins filled with boys and girls clothes. Well, up to about size 6, that is. Because once they hit those school years, I've noticed that they don't grow as fast, so they end up wearing their clothes longer. Plus, they are way harder on their clothes - a brand new pair of pants will get the knees torn out of them after a few games of dodgeball or jumping off the swings at the playground and crashing on the pavement below. Socks sprout holes for toes to poke through. Shirt sleeves and collars become a chewing substitute while they are waiting for their damned fruit roll-up.

There end up being no clothes left to be passed down to the next child. And as far as finding decent clothes at the resale shops for bigger kids, well, those are practically non-existent. A few brands will hold up pretty well, like Oshkosh and Gap, but those clothes don't come cheap even at the resale shop.

So, to review: As my kids get older, they are going to a) eat adult-size portions before puberty, 2) wear clothes that either are more expensive than my own or else have holes in the armpit, and 3) break my heart the further and further they are from their itty bitty baby pictures.

WWWAAAAHHHH!!!!!!




Texan Mama

13 comments:

Foursons said...

Just wait until those boys hit a growth spurt in their teen years. They will eat enough for 3 grown men and then be hungry again an hour later.

Gigi said...

Listen to Julie - it gets worse - at least with the boys. There are days when every time I turn around MC is shoveling something else into his mouth. Then it stops. And you breathe a sigh of relief thinking this growth spurt is over. Until the next morning.....

Jennifer said...

My little Bud already eats a lot. Most days he eats more than Baby Girl and she's three years older than him.

Jennifer said...

How cute those little faces are! I feel ya on the clothes- my son ( 7 year old) came home with holes in two of his brand new shirts already this school year. Both shirts he only wore once. Now they are demoted to "play clothes" and we are low on the supply of shirts he can wear to school. Last year, it was the jeans.... four or five wears ( even the Gymboree and Osh Kosh) and they had a hole in the knee. He is so hard on his clothes!

Emily said...

I was sympathizing with you this whole post...and I TOTALLY related when you mentioned the chewing on the sleeves. WTH is up with that!??!!??

Amy O'Connor said...

I've noticed my 12 year old daughter has been eating more and more. I can't wait till the boy catches up with her.(Just imagine the excitement in my voice) =/

Wym said...

I feel like my two girls snack all day. I never got so many friggin snacks! They never get dessert because they get little sweets here and there and lots of fruit. We are fast food foodies too. I think it is our only family activity in our small town that dosent leave us at risk for being hit by a car (Lots of border traffic). Anyway, I feel your pain! I want to say, "Stop eating!" but the are starving most of the time. After swim practice and hours of playtime...Stupid calorie burn.

misssrobin said...

I have to agree with the teen boy thing. You really have no idea yet. I promise. You will be amazed. Three times an adult portion and hungry an hour later sounds about right.

And if they are physically active, into sports, it's even worse because they are burning all those calories and need to replace them.

Start saving now.

And wait until your little boy leaves his size 12 shoes in the living room. You could lose a small pet in them. Let's not discuss clothing costs.

Diva said...

Wow! My hubby eats us out of house and home, so I can't imagine what it would be like with a couple of more like him...thanks for visiting during my SITS Day.

Bridgett said...

I've just started noticing the food issue here--Maeve started kindergarten and so now it's two school lunches. Why do they seem so much more expensive and elaborate than home lunches (maybe it's the peanut free school...). But the clothes, that's where I'm really feeling the burn. Uniforms help a lot because oftentimes the girls don't change out of them after school, too lazy, don't want to handle the laundry later, etc.

I have my best luck with used clothes the day after the big clearance sale (we have a huge thrift place called Value Village that has a clearance once a month, and then the new stuff comes in). That's when I find osh kosh and gap and hannah andersson and all that jazz.

Melani said...

Well yeah they have to grow up to be young adults, LOL I have a 17 yr old son and a 15 yr old daughter and well they eat as much as me and my hubby do and they require a ton of milk! LOL oh if they could only stay little for a while longer...

Wendy said...

Oh, just wait. Those boys aren't even teenagers yet.

8-)

Walker Family said...

I am seriously laughing out loud, reading through the links to the past posts. My mom made the best ravioli too. And I knew pickles could be a side dish all by themselves!