Friday, October 8, 2010

Dryer Lint. And Kitties. And Barettes.

Know what I love? Dryer lint. It's all soft and fluffy. I love to take it off the dryer screen when the dryer just gets finished, because it's all warm and smells like Bounce. Except, I don't like it when there's hair in the dryer lint. That kinda kills my mojo.

I also like kitties. I found a kitty in my backyard about a month ago. It was to-die-for cute. It looked like it was maybe 4 or 5 weeks old.

I had some tuna in my fridge and I put it in a bowl for the kitty to eat but it would only lick the mayonaise, not even eat the tuna. That made me think that maybe it was too young to drink anything except mother's milk. It was so sad. The cat was really irritable at first and I had trouble getting a hold of her (but I had to because if I didn't my dog would have probably tried to eat her).

Over the day that I had her, though, I was slowly able to put my hand in the box, then put my hand closer, then pet her, and eventually hold her. The poor thing was just COVERED in fleas. The next day I was so sad to take her to the Humane Society but I knew it was what I had to do. If I'd just released her back into our neighborhood where I'd found her, so small and young, I don't think her chances would have been too good.

I also love barettes. If you were alive in the late 70's/early80's, I have to ask: did you ever wear those barettes with the braided ribbon? And with the ribbon tails hanging down with beads on the end of them?

Photo courtesy of familyzip.com

They were totally a status symbol at my elementary school. I'd say, on equal level with leg warmers, jelly bracelets, and Jordache jeans.

If you're asking yourself... WTH is Texan Mama talking about? That's okay. I am too.

Texan Mama

10 comments:

Bridgett said...

Feel like you have to talk about something mundane? (I couldn't believe the number of commenters over at scary mommy, oy, and you kept your head above water too).

Yes to barrettes. I only had one set, though. Misdy had ones for different days of the week. Jennifer had probably a drawer full. Mine matched my uniform (blue and silver). I loved them. Did you have friendship pins on your shoes?

Kitten: those blue eyes, I bet it's a baby baby baby kitty. And baby kitties get adopted because they are cute and sweet and have big blue eyes. Unlike big lug fat tabbies with attitudes.

Dryer lint: As I throw it away every time I wonder if I could be using it for something...

Gigi said...

I remember the barrettes (and the friendship pins on the shoes)! Although - that was middle school for me....damn, I'm aging myself.

Good job over at Scary Mommy. Holy cow - now I understand your tweet earlier!

Wendy said...

Awww, you rescued a kitten, too! I did that on my third day here or something. While I was staying in a hotel, with a hubby who has debilitating cat allergies... talk about panic. Such a good deed. That is one cute kitty!

I had those barrettes. I remember those! Along with my giant bows made of clear plastic, full of confetti.

And matching the school colors... and...

Janet said...

OOOh, I know how to make those barettes! I had them in every color and wore them every day in about sixth grade. I actually made a pair a few years ago for a Halloween costume. Took me a second to get started, but then it all came back.

Eat. Live. Laugh. and sometimes shop! said...

Those barrettes made me squeal! I remember even adding beads to the ends of some! I was tres chic!

Jennifer said...

I remember the barrettes, but I don't remember if I had any. The kitty was probably wild and that's why it acted that way. Hopefully the Humane Society can find it a good home.

Foursons said...

I had tons of those barrettes. I loved them, but I don't think any had beads hanging off the end.

Anna See said...

i am w/ you on the dryer lint and the barrettes, but not the kitties!

btw, it's hard to wear those cool barrettes if your mom made you get a short dorothy hammil haircut. waaah!

anymommy said...

Omigosh I totally wore those barrettes in elementary school. That really dates me doesn't it? Remember friendship pins on your shoes too???

Frogs in my formula said...

I still have some of those barrettes from when I was a kid. They were all the rage. I'd thought just in the Northeast but I see it was nationwide. Hah!