Friday, October 15, 2010

Give Her One More Chance...

Hi Friends. It's Friday!!! I'm excited to tell you that Julie, from Dutch Being Me, has agreed to guest post for me today! She's a wonderful writer and one of the busiest ladies I know. She juggles a lot of jobs but seems to do them all pretty well (I need her to share her secret with me!)

In turn, I'm guest posting for Julie, and also for Katie over at Sassy Silly Spunky Mama. So, read on for some great writing and then head over to those ladies sites for some more!


Julie, Katie, and I have all been participating in the SITS Find Your Tribe event for the last two weeks, where we find other bloggers like ourselves to learn from each other as well as give each other support. Today is our last day and I am so thankful to have been a part of it. I've met some awesome writers who I may have not found otherwise. Thank you SITS ladies!!

Give Me One More Chance
by Julie

Recently a friend of mine sent a note along via Facebook including a wonderful poem about Christians. The poem I read had given credit to Dr. Maya Angelou and it read as if she had written it. However, in the course of wanting to give credit to where she had published this, I found out that she had been given false credit. I’m not sure why some choose to take words from one and give them to another – more famous perhaps – author, but that was the case for the poem you will read below.

As a Christian, I am often labeled in some sort of fashion that put a negative view on what I believe. Most of the time I don’t let it bother me, mainly because I know who I am and what I believe. I know that I can be a hypocrite at times. I know that I am not perfect. I try to be the best person I can in all circumstances.

But I also need to learn, I need to get myself into the Bible each and everyday and strive to be better than who I was the day before. While I will never be perfect — no human being can be — I can still strive to help others, be a friend to those in need and set an example to kids (and maybe even adults) around me.

Here is the original version of the poem…

When I say “I am a Christian”
© 1988 – Carol Wimmer

When I say, “I am a Christian,” I’m not shouting, “I’ve been saved!”
I’m whispering, “I get lost! That’s why I chose this way”

When I say “I am a Christian,” I don’t speak with human pride
I’m confessing that I stumble – needing God to be my guide

When I say “I am a Christian,” I’m not trying to be strong
I’m professing that I’m weak and pray for strength to carry on

When I say “I am a Christian,” I’m not bragging of success
I’m admitting that I’ve failed and cannot ever pay the debt

When I say “I am a Christian,” I don’t think I know it all
I submit to my confusion asking humbly to be taught

When I say “I am a Christian,” I’m not claiming to be perfect
My flaws are far too visible but God believes I’m worth it

When I say “I am a Christian,” I still feel the sting of pain
I have my share of heartache which is why I seek His name

When I say “I am a Christian,” I do not wish to judge
I have no authority — I only know that I’m loved

*today’s lyric title: Carrie Underwood – “Jesus, Take the Wheel”



Texan Mama

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Christians are interpreted that way by many people because that's the way they treat people. It's tiring and ridiculous to think that there's only one religion out there; there are more and frankly, it shouldn't matter what you are - that SHOULD be a private piece of just yourself. Isn't that the point? Instead, Christians seem to be the "race" who thinks they're bigger, better and need to convert, correct and change everyone they see.

Oddly enough, one of the links from this post is "Do as I say, Not as I do" - that sums the religion up perfectly. And even stranger, you already know you're a hypocrite...please stop trying to shove this hypocrisy down the rest of our throats; the attempt at brainwashing doesn't work and instead, has quite the opposite effect.

And before you do it, don't offer to pray for me - I have my own religion for which I don't go around attempting to define myself as.

Really disappointed in the turn your blog is taking these days. Perhaps it is time to turn the keys to it in at the front desk.

Texan Mama @ Who Put Me In Charge said...

Okay..... wellllll....

Shannon, if you don't like my blog, why are you still reading it?

Jennifer said...

Well I can't speak for other people, obviously, but my faith does define who I am, and I have no problem whatsoever letting people know that. I don't judge other people and I don't try to convince them that only my way is right. Yes, there are Christians that do that, and yes they are wrong for it. Maybe one day people will stop lumping people into one big group because of a few other people, and I hope that for EVERYONE, not just Christians.

Julie - Loved it. This was beautiful and good job. I think it was very in line with what you blog about and was exactly about who you say you are.

Which is EXACTLY what a guest post is supposed to do.

misssrobin said...

I think this was a beautiful, heart-felt post. Thank you for sharing.

Texan Mama, it's your blog. It's your world. Make it what you want it to be. Trust your heart.

Others are responsible for their reactions and feelings. Please do not feel like you need to cater to anyone.

I think you are wonderful -- even when I don't agree with you. Keep your head up.

A.Marie said...

Texan Mama, just keep on being true to yourself. That is what God wants you to do. You have an amazing blog and an amazing faith. I truly believe that it isn't your blog that Shannon is reacting to. It is the fact that when she read your blog, she felt that prick of conscience. Perhaps God is trying to get her attention and she is running as hard as she can in the other direction. I don't know. But, what I do know is that what you wrote did not warrant what she commented.

And, if she doesn't like your blog, she doesn't have to read it. But something tells me that she will....

Have a terrific Friday and a wonderful weekend. Keep your chin up! :)

Crystal said...

THis is beautiful...I would love to have it on my wall! Loving your blog lady!! Thanx for all the help in our tribe!

Crystal
http://survivingandthrivinginmom-dom.blogspot.com