Thursday, October 28, 2010

Really, WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE???

As I was typing this post, I decided to do a quick search of my own archives, to see what I'd already said about people who wear obnoxious shirts in public. Apparently, I've already addressed this point. And yet, I can still find more to say.

I'm all for freedom of speech. First amendment and all that. I hate some of the bogus crap that some people spout in the name of freedom of speech, but I get that they can say it and use "freedom of speech" as their umbrella.

But, if I've said it once, I'll continue to say it a hundred times more: Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD do it. Same goes for speaking: just because you CAN say something, doesn't mean you should.

I once wrote about taking my 3 older kids to a children's museum (the Magic House in St. Louis) and saw a twenty-something man there wearing a t-shirt that read "Man Whore".

I love People of Walmart and I see that the "F*** This" apparrel is alive and well.

I am just wondering, who dresses these people? Do they really think they look awesome in a shirt that has an obscenity on it? Of course, I am appalled by this because I try very very hard to keep my children away from bad language (alas, they've already heard it all. Thank you school bus.) Still, though, I just have to ask: why? WHY WHY WHY???

Do you feel that your t-shirt makes a profound political statment? Is it an accurate reflection of your IQ? Are you living out an unfulfilled need for attention from your childhood?

Trust me, I'm not all stick in the mud. I know a good joke and I can - and DO - laugh at myself and my own stupidity. But I am just hoping that these shirts aren't a barometer of how the rest of the world views Americans. I can't think of another culture - ANYWHERE - that proudly displays its lack of intelligence.

(BTW there are a bunch of links here to People Of Wal-Mart. I LOVE the People of Wal-Mart site and don't begrudge them one bit for their photos. If people who shop at Wal-Mart have bad enough judgment about their own clothes, then they deserve to be called out.)

Texan Mama

10 comments:

Bridgett said...

My favorite: "It won't suck itself." On a dad. At the zoo.

I love People of Walmart. It is a total time-sink.

Sturgmom said...

Now that my children can read this kind of stuff REALLY bothers me.

Gigi said...

Stuff like that just goes to show that pure common sense and good judgment are not as prevalent as they should be....

ridgely johnson said...

The best one I've heard in a long time- Moron walking around with shirt with "FU" on it.
Little girl sees moron , says FU- mother collapses (she did not see moron's shirt)

great post

Frugal Vicki said...

I don't know what is worse, the vulgar sayings or the pictures. But that is only because my kids can't read yet so I don't have to worry about the sayings, but it does offend me. Don't you just want to "accidentally" trip them and get a good laugh?

Heather said...

So I bought myself this t-shirt from Disney World that I loved. It has Mr. Potato Head on it and reads "Don't Make Me Put on My Angry Eyes" which any Toy Story fan (like my family and I are) will recognize as a line from the movies.

Well, we got back from our trip and I decided to wear my new shirt out and about while I was running errands - the PO, the butcher, and the cable company (had to exchange one of our cable boxes). I wound up feeling *so* uncomfortable over people reading my shirt (a lot of them aloud) and looking to me, like "Is she really angry?" that I haven't worn it out in public since. I kept saying, apologetically, "I'm not meaning it *at you* or anything, it's just from Toy Story....."

It is now a "jammies" t shirt that I don't wear out in public - and this shirt doesn't even *have* any obscenities on it, just a slightly snarky Mr. Potato Head quote!

LibbyLibbyLibbyLibbyLibby said...

My favorite shirt to wear is my Oscar the Grouch one... no bad words...just a mean look... I'm rarely angry but, the shirt makes me feel tough. :)

Maggie S said...

We avoid Wal-Mart for this reason. We have looked under our State at the website, and cannot be certain some of the photos weren't taken in our nearest location.

I think my girls understand that someone who wears such apparel hasn't had the advantage of care, training and education that other people receive. And are still young enough to believe that I am not aware of any exceptions to this explanation.

Jennifer said...

People are disturbing. And dumb.

Elaine A. said...

Well first, someone thinks it's a good idea to even MAKE those shirts. Lovely.

And yeah, PoW is quite humorous!! :D