Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Underwear Inventory

The other day I went through my underwear pile. I thought it was time to rotate my inventory, so to speak. I was shocked and amazed at what I found:
holes
stains
tears
broken elastic
stretched fabric
and, I tell you shame-facedly, no short supply of Granny Panties.

Then I moved on to the bras. Whoa Nellie. There were underwires that threatened spearing me in the ribs. There was torn lace. And, the all-too-familiar wavy elastic back straps that relented under the heavy strain of supporting my girls.

I have decided that I really need to go get checked for my correct bra size. I have worn everything from 36C to 38C to 36D to 38D. I'd like to say IT'S THE BRA! IT'S NOT ME! But, I think it *is* me. True, my chest has been in various stages of size while nursing and not nursing over the last 3 years. But when I purchase bras it's just on a best-guess of my correct size. As long as the straps don't show too much back fat and I don't get the "second set of boobs" from the cup cutting into my melons, then I consider it a good fit.

Once I was at the grocery store and saw a woman in a fitted sweater. I could NOT see any bra straps or bulges or bumps anywhere. It took all my strength not to walk up to this total stranger and ask her, "Excuse me, could you tell me what kind of bra you are wearing???"

I got some advice from a friend once, who swears she saw this on Oprah: when buying a bra, make sure it fits on the LAST hook. Because over time, the bra will stretch out and you can always move the hook closer. Sounds like good advice, right?

Well, I just have to say that I think it's pretty sad how little I know about my own anatomy. It's just a little bit disturbing that I've been wearing a bra for 25 years and still I can't seem to get the right size.

At least, I think I'm not alone.



Texan Mama

14 comments:

Bridgett said...

I am sometimes a different size, and as I lose baby weight, I do drop cup size with it, but what I do is buy a bra and wear it for a few weeks. If I like it, I cut the tag out and save it for next time I order (in case it would fade in the wash over time). When you're a 36HH, it's important to fit right!! Very happy right now with Fantasie of England. (As an aside, if you have big busted (bigger than D or DD) friends lamenting their choices, send them to english bra stores like Bravissimo, it will give them a new lease on life!!!).

Jamie said...

I'm always the last one to get new underthings. I don't know why. I bought a few new pairs yesterday. I had four nice pairs and about half a dozen that I think are really only hanging on by a thread.

And, like you, I KNOW I'm wearing the wrong bra size. I haven't gone for a fitting because I'm pretty sure I don't want to know what the actual answer is

Gigi said...

Nope, you are definitely not alone in this. They were doing a segment on this topic during the news this morning (somehow relating it to Breast Cancer Awareness). It is suggested that you have yourself fitted once a year - because our bodies change that much! They said that Dillard's is offering free fittings today and will donate money to Breast Cancer Research - but I don't know if that is nationwide or just here. Most places will do free fittings - and it's worth the effort to have a great fitting bra - says the one who has been tugging on hers all morning.....

Emily said...

May I recommend finding a Soma store. They are AWESOME at helping you find the right bra and they have TONS of great styles. They even have a vanishing back bra which eliminates those bulges under fitted sweaters. (No, I don't work for them, but I probably could! LOL!) When I stopped nursing my last baby, I went and got fitted and bought all new bra and panties. Expensive? A little (I did the bi-yearly clearance sale) but SO well worth it.

Aunt Crazy said...

Most any store that sells bras will give you a free bra fitting. Keep in mind though that each bra is made differently, so what you measure at will fit in one style or brand but not in another. I used to be an H cup and I had a reduction to a C cup. I measure a D cup, but these itty bitty titties will not fit into a D cup LOL sometimes they will even fit into a B cup. It all depends on the bra.

Jennifer said...

I like the Gillian O'Malley underwear at Target (I think that is the name brand). I wear the granny panties because I think they are comfortable and they don't give me panty lines.

For bras, I just bought some at Lane Bryant (the go down to a size 36C at least) and I LOVE them. And they can fit you in the store. I also like Dillards to buy bras. They are expensive, but they are nice and they fit properly and the hold up and they can fit you in the store too.

And that advice was right about the last hook.

Jennifer said...

Oh, and one other thing. Try on a lot of different styles. Even in the same size they will all fit differently.

GunDiva said...

Have never been for a bra fitting, but probably should. Especially since I've gained so much weight since I got married. I've been reduced to sports bras, as I don't end up with slut straps slipping down my arms and they keep the girls mostly where they are supposed to be.

What kills me is the price of bras - really? The last time I bought an expensive bra, the dog ate it's strap within three days. It was very difficult not to kill or maim the dog.

Swizz said...

That's okay...I went for the "official fitting" and was promptly told (okay I've done this twice and both times in LARGE nationwide stores) they don't carry my size.

And NOT because they are too big... :O)

Lorie said...

I detest how much lingerie shops charge (like Victoria's Secret), but the fitting is almost worth it!

Elaine A. said...

You are SO NOT alone! I need to go get sized and my husband keeps telling me to but for some reason I'm just not into another woman touching my chesticles. I do desperately need to go though, especially since I've lost weight.

Bear and Bones Mama said...

Ok G, I have no idea what your boobs are like, but I have discovered (via a friends discovery) the MOST COMFORTABLE BRA EVER! Really. and it's CHEAP! go here: http://www.shopcoobie.com/
Coobies for your boobies! I mean, how can you not love saying that? It's all I want to wear anymore - so comfy and it looks great under everything from tshirts to sweaters.

Eat. Live. Laugh. and sometimes shop! said...

Certainly not alone on this one!! I was recently measured and I went done a number size. Let me assure you, nothing about me has gotten smaller with time. Just means I too have been wearing the wrong size forever!!

I love the new bra by Victoria's Secret (it's not crazy Victoria's Secret-ish) called the Incredible. When I was properly fitted it was heaven. Support but not crazy padding. And the straps are "self-adjusting". It is so comfortable! All day long!

Janet said...

You're certainly not alone. I have even been "professionally" measured before at stores, and I don't think they have a clue either.

Stopping by and following from our SITS tribe!