Saturday, October 2, 2010

Working Moms are the Sh*t

I am just about outta gas.

Maybe it's the fact that Violet is crawling. She's into the tupperware, the DVDs, and the dog bowl. You name it, she's had it in her mouth.

Maybe it's because Sally is 3. And for every time I thought to myself, "hmph. Terrible twos aren't too bad with this one..." I'm paying for it now.

Maybe it's because I keep saying "yes" to people when I should really say "no".

Maybe it's because the older kids' homework quota multiplies exponentially, while my available time for helping dwindles just as fast.

Maybe it's because I am trying to start a photography business and can't tell which end is up. I can't figure out if there really is a "right" way to do it all, and if I should follow that model or if I should follow my heart about the way *I* want to run *MY* business. I fear failure but at the same time, how much success will be gained by doing everything the way someone else tells me to do it?

Whatever the reason, I just have to say, working moms totally rock. There is no way I could handle getting up and going to work 5 days a week, 9 hours a day. Then, on top of that, handle kids' homework, scouts, church committees, and the occasional shower. As it is, I am having a hard time keeping up and some days my pajamas see the light of day longer than my "regular clothes" do.

Part of me is hopeful that this is the hard part. That, if I stay the course, it won't be too long before I am reaping the rewards of earning money doing something I really love.

The other part of me is scared that I won't be able to cope with all the stress and I'll end up quitting before I really get started.

I hope I don't. You working moms really inspire me.

*insert mental picture of me bowing to you*


Texan Mama

5 comments:

Gigi said...

Oh sweets! Don't quit! Right now you've got a lot on your plate (and two small ones at trying ages) and I know it seems overwhelming. I know it is stressful, but stay the course and I'm sure you will find the bliss at the end.

BlessedMomof2 said...

You are so right! My bff is a 40 hr/wk WM & I have no idea how she does it! Good luck to you in your photography business. I think your pics are great!

Jennifer said...

You just have to treat it like you don't have another option. Because I don't. That's how I do it. Oh, and I let a LOT of other things go.

Laura @ The Things I Said I'd Never Do said...

I think moms who run a household with 5 kids rock. You work WAAAAY harder than I do!!

Sturgmom said...

Ugh. I had a long comment all typed out and my computer freaked out and now I have to retype it.

Anyway, you know I love your blog and your honesty, so please take my comment in that spirit.

It really bugs the crap out of me when people (regardless how well-meaning) tell me that they could NEVER work outside the home full time like I do.

Because when it comes down to it, like Jennifer said, you do what you have to do. And I have to work.

Working moms simply trade one set of issues for another. To use your examples, if you were at work all day, you wouldn't be at your wit's end from the fit throwing. And you wouldn't be tired of pulling your crawler out of the kitchen cabinets. Instead, you'd be answering endless emails and fielding 101 interruptions while you're in the middle of a project with a deadline of yesterday.

We could debate philosophical choices and always and nevers all day, but ultimately if you had to choose between food/shelter or staying at home, you would work.

I know it's such an emotionally-charged discussion (sort of like breastfeeding v. formula feeding) that it's difficult tackle and still keep everyone happy. And I appreciate the spirit with which the accolades were given, but it's really not that noble.

Also, I don't mean to take something you said and turn it into something you didn't, I just wanted to point out that I'm not so great.

Finally, if I'm hearing the heart of your post, it's less about SAHM v. WOHM and more about the fact that you feel frustrated, overwhelmed and ready to quit before you even get started. Please don't! No mom can do everything, but I firmly believe that we should all spend time doing something we love and if photography is that "thing" for you, then do it!!