Friday, November 26, 2010

Ten Things I'm NOT Going to do Today

First of all people, DON'T FORGET TO WRITE YOUR "MY WEDDING DRESS STORY" to link up on Monday. It's gonna be fun!

Here's my list of 10 things I'm NOT going to be doing today:

1. Wear shorts. Yes, Wednesday it was 82 degrees and I was complaining about it. Today it's dropped into the 50's. Time to get out the jeans, finally. I'm glad for the Indian Summer departure.
2. Playing the Wii. I gave my new Wii Fit Plus a thorough test-run yesterday and I'm totally paying for it today. I never thought I'd say this, but... My body is a wreck from playing a video game.
3. Going shopping. Except to get some baby formula at the grocery store. There's nothing I want badly enough to face the crowds with 5 kids in tow.
4. Puke. 4 of my 5 kids and my husband have now all passed the stomach flu to one another. I, on the other hand, have magic antibodies of iron. I will NOT get the flu. I can probably count on one hand the number of days I missed from school as a child. Plus, Violet got a flu shot at her 1-year-old check-up on Monday. PLUS she's gotten my magic antibodies from the breastfeeding. I think she's good to go.
5. Take any breaks from doing the laundry. (See #4). Puke, pee, mud, and just your run-of-the-mill B.O. have caused my laundry pile to multiply. Not that I'm ever at a loss for laundry in our family of 7. But now I just get to kick it into overdrive people! WOOT!!! .... not.
6. Cook. I did enough of that yesterday. We were supposed to go to a friend's house for T-day, but because of #4 above, we couldn't go there nor could we host anyone to our house. So I braved crowds on Wednesday morning to buy a turkey, potatoes, Ritz crackers, etcetera. And I cooked all day... for people who had no appetites. Good times.
7. Put up Christmas Lights. I have decided that my husband is right - the electric bill that comes in January just isn't worth it for a little extra twinkle. Last year our bill was $500 and the year before it was $600. It kills me to know what I could be spending that extra money on, or who I could be giving it to.
8. Following the Mom rules. I admit it... I'm naughty. My husband is basically the rule-maker in the house. I'm more of the person who just gets frustrated when the rules don't get followed and I lose my shit! But when the kids are home all day and it's so cold outside and all their friends are busy, I let them watch some extra tv. I let them play some extra Wii time. I let them have cereal for dinner. Sometimes it makes me feel like a slacker mom. But sometimes it makes me feel like a fun mom.
9. Mailing out my Christmas cards. They aren't done yet. Not. Even. Close. I used to be one of those ultra-organized women who mailed out her cards on the day after Thanksgiving. Now it's more like mailing them out the day before Christmas.
10. Cleaning off my computer desk. Let's face it... that's been on my to-do list for about 3 weeks. I don't see it happening today either. I am very ambitious with the good intentions but not so much with the follow-through.



Texan Mama

9 comments:

Gigi said...

I'm not doing anything I'm supposed to do today either! Well, except for laundry. Because if you don't have that washing machine going 24/7 the laundry just EXPLODES! And there's only three of us - I can only imagine what yours must look like!

misssrobin said...

Yeah, no shorts for me today either -- it's 28 degrees and not likely to get much warmer.

I'm taking the day off from momming. Turned everything over to dad, staying in my pjs all day, and spending as much time as I want on my laptop without any guilt. I earned it yesterday.

P.S. Please either kill the flu germs or keep them in Texas. I really don't need that.

anymommy said...

The "Not To Do" list. I totally love it. May you evade the flu, my dear, my fingers are crossed for you.

GunDiva said...

I managed to join you in your not to do list. You know, strength in numbers and all that :)

Of course, it's been in the 20s here, so shorts are out of the question. Tomorrow's my big laundry day - found a leak in the laundry room sink this morning, shut off the water and then threw towels on the floor, vowing to wash them tomorrow.

I hate laundry, but it's a necessary evil. One of these days, after I win the powerball, I'm so getting myself a laundress!

Anna See said...

Ugh-- so sorry about all the illness in your house!

I enjoyed this peek into your day and what will or will not be happening! I'm in my pj's hanging out at 10:32 while the kids do something or other... so I'm not sure what will be going on over here today. Will try to come up w/a wedding dress post-- sounds fun!

Wendy said...

Oh, I so hope karma doesn't catch you on the tummy bug after you posted about it. Typically my iron clad immune system gives up after about a week of nursing everyone else to the point of exhaustion. Stay rested up, okay? If you can!

We finally dropped into the 80s at long last, and it feel like HEAVEN. 110 is a real drag.

Jennifer said...

It snowed here Thanksgiving morning. For real. I cried. I miss Texas.

Michelle Saunderson said...

Other than the fact that you have 5 kids and the flu at your house, I could have written this post...lol.

Michelle Saunderson said...

Other than the fact that you have 5 kids and the flu at your house, I could have written this post...lol.