Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Would you Know me if you Saw Me?

This is me.

This is my Gravatar.

You might recognize it. I mean, it's right up there in my header. And every time I make a comment anywhere on the blogosphere, that's what you'll see next to my words.

I like it because it's unique. It's not a teensy headshot that blends into the crowd of all the other headshots. When scanning a huge list of comments, it stands out. People see it, and recognize it, and remember it.

For my entire blogging history, I have kept the same gravatar. I do not want to change it because I look at it like "branding" myself. That's a popular buzzword in the blogging community. Branding. I feel like I'm strengthening something that I've been working really hard at building - my online presence and my relationships with other people.

Lots of brands have memorable logos. They don't even need to display their name because you know who they are from the logo they've chosen. For example:







When you see each of these logos, I'm sure a certain feeling is conjured up in your head, whether it's one of trust or deception, customer care or corporate greed, good publicity or bad publicity. When I see the Target logo, it makes me smile. I remember going to Target with my mom as a very young child, and she'd say, "Here we are, at 'Tar-zshay'." She loved to make it sound all French or something. That logo has remained the same and still communicates the same thing as it always has.

But at the same time, I realize that I am not a corporation. I am a person. I don't know if I should have a "logo" as my gravatar or if I should use my photo. Sometimes I wonder if not having a photo as my gravatar makes me seem less personable to my readers. The whole point of me starting this blog was to meet new people!

So I guess I want to know, do you think this whole Texas-State-Gravatar thing is a good idea? Do you remember unique gravatars or do you think they just blend in with the faces?


 
Texan Mama

14 comments:

Cassie CH said...

I like your Texas-state-gravatar! It is very unique and stands out from others for sure. That being said, it might be a little more personal if it was a picture of yourself, but it may not stand out as much. Hmmm. I'm not much help! Sorry!

Cassie CH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CJ said...

You have a good point - I dont think Ive ever thought about it quite like that before. Its more...subconscious, I think. When people I dont know well change their gravatar Im always confused and have to "refile" their info with the correct picture again :) I tend to think that unique ones stand out against the rest. But thats just me :) Yours is cute too, btw!

Jennifer said...

To me it doesn't matter if it is a person or an image. I just like it to stay the same. :) I'm not a fan of change.

Bridgett said...

I have a photo on blogger; on other venues (facebook, twitter) I have a different name and my photo matches the avatar. It's a bird. So even people who know me on those still refer to me by the bird title because that's what the photo is...

I try to keep my blogger photo the same for a long time. I haven't changed it in 2 1/2 years at least. Now, my blog title, that's another story...

Jaci said...

When I first started blogging, mine was a pic of me screaming. It got me noticed! Then I thought I should probably have a more "normal" headshot like other serious bloggers.

Honestly, I don't think commenting is as important as it was even just a year ago. People don't read the comments looking for familiar bloggers--they have moved on to Twitter. So if you want to change your picture, go for it! It's your blog!

And you're more than a brand. You're a WRITER.

Anna See said...

I like pics and gravatars! I wish I looked more like my cute little gravatar. A former student made if for me and she was being... generous.

GunDiva said...

I love your gravatar. It is easily identifiable and I know immediately who you are. If you changed it, I'd be like "Who's that Texan Mama" again?

Amy said...

I like the avatar. It's distinctive.

misssrobin said...

When I see it I think of you. But even so, you should do what feels right to you. That's the only thing that matters. Others will adjust.

Gigi said...

Your thoughts about branding are true - that's the whole point of logos in the first place.

But I'll tell you - I don't even know if pictures show up next to comments on my blog. And it doesn't matter anyway - since I generally receive them on my phone so I don't see them. When I click over here - I know where I'm going. On Twitter - that is where the headshot might get lost for me-but again, to be truthful, I'm usually on my phone for that as well.

Not much help in the decision making process, as usual. But that's just my take on what I "see" when I'm on the 'net.

But either way - I think of you when I see either one.

Maggie S said...

I like the gravatar. You're beautiful, but you are also smart. The TX is distinctive and stands out from the faces. You are more of a writer than a mommy blogger who is just trying to keep in touch with a second cousin in Maine.

nicole said...

Pretty picture. ;) Could you put a little Texas in the corner maybe, so you get both? I get your point about it standing out though.

Wendy said...

I think of your face when I see your Texas Logo. Totally keep it. It does stand out, and identifies you really fast. I only know the faces of a very few bloggers - the rest blend together. But when I click through to a new blog and I go to comment & I see that big Texas, I immediately think, "Oh, G has already found this blog!"