Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Disappointment

Last night was the Lunar Eclipse. Did you see it? If you live on the East Coast, it would have been a pretty late night for you. For us Texans, it started just after 12:30am.
It makes for a pretty late night, especially when kids wake you up at 6:15 am.

Last night, Texan Papa and I took our 3 older kids to go see a sneak preview of Gulliver's Travels (review coming later).  The movie theater was over in Dallas, so it was about an hour each way. We didn't arrive home until about 10pm, so it was definitely a late night for them. Still, they were excited to see the lunar eclipse too, and all 3 agreed that they wanted to get up to see it.

After putting them all to bed, I stayed awake while working on my Christmas cards.

-As an aside, if I ever tell you that I'm going to hand-stamp our Christmas cards, because it will be so crafty and fun and unique, please just shoot me. I won't mind, I promise. It would really be better than going through this again all in the name of sending out a card that people will probably toss in the trash in about 5 seconds.

As 12:30, TP steps outside and I hear him holler, "It's happening! Come see!" I run outside and see a tiny sliver of the moon just starting to disappear. After staring at it slack-jawed for a few minutes, we both run inside to wake the Peanuts.
Lunar Eclipse 12.21.10 - 1/4

"Get up! It's happening! It's time to go see the eclipse! Here's a blanket to keep you warm! GET UP! Do you want to miss it? You need to sit up! You need to get up if you're going to see it! GET! UP! NOW!!!!"

No dice.

Of course, I stayed awake and watch the whole thing. Intermittently I step inside and stamp, cut, glue, fold, and toss glitter. But the whole time, my kids were fast asleep in the beds (with visions of sugarplums dancing in their heads???)
Lunar Eclipse 12.21.10

This morning, Charlie Brown woke me up at 5am, crying - which is very uncharacteristic of him - to ask if he missed it. "Yes," I tell him. "We tried to wake you up, but you wouldn't get up."

"Why didn't you try harder? Mom, I really wanted to see it! I'm so sad about it, I can't get back to sleep!"

Now, in my brain, I know that was just 5 o'clock speaking. Nothing is clear in the foggy minutes when we first wake up. But my heart was breaking in a zillion pieces, wishing I could rewind the clock 4 hours and force his little body awake. Wishing I could think like a child, full of wonder, knowing that he would want to see this special event no matter the hour. Wishing I could go back to a time when I didn't think like a grown-up, knowing that seeing an eclipse totally trumps sleep ANY DAY.

But I couldn't do that. I had to tell him to just try to get back to sleep. When I woke up later, he told me in his dry sarcasm, "No big deal. There will probably be another one in, like, 9 years or something. Right?"

Nope, only 3 and a half more years. Don't worry, Charlie Brown. You'll get to see it.

*Photos by ME!

Texan Mama

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

ooohh.. great photos! What a great night for viewing it too! We didn't watch... my kids had to go to school today and it was REALLY cold outside!

Rachael said...

That second shot is amazing! We watched it here, but being Washington we had some cloud cover. So, we saw the eclipse, but couldn't see the orange very well through the clouds, just a faint circle outline.

Jennifer said...

Those photos turned out great. I bet they are being copied all over the internet. :)

Jen said...

Well, you did try.

Gorgeous pictures! :)

Life with Kaishon said...

Holy Wow. Your pictures are PERFECT. The best pictures I have seen so far of this. Out of this world spectacular. Love them!

Elizabeth A. said...

I'm so glad I got to see your pictures. It was snowing here so there was no moon to be seen.

Gigi said...

Thanks for sharing the photos - because I, too, was snug in my bed during the eclipse. Poor Charlie Brown - there will be other eclipses for him.

Gigi said...

Oh - and next year remind me to remind you - stamping cards is always a bad idea. It will make you crazy.

BUT, if you sent one to me I'd treasure it forever!