Friday, December 31, 2010

Who Am I Kidding?

I am no stranger to resolutions.

Save money. Keep a cleaner house. Read a book every month. Yell less. Exercise more.

blah blah blah blabbity blah

I can't keep a resolution if I'd win a million dollars. I don't know what's wrong with me - I'm just that kind of a person. Even the teensiest, weensiest little goal has a snowball's chance in hell of seeing itself to fruition. Trust me, I'd love to commit to something and be able to stick with it for a whole year, if for no other reason than to just say I did it. Maybe I could commit to eating a Hershey's kiss every day for a year?

What? who says New Year's Resolutions are supposed to be hard? Is that a rule or something?

Why can't I resolve to buy a new pair of shoes every month for a year? Or to never visit the dentist? Or to only read brainless chick-lit novels, never any non-fiction historical stories? What about resolving to ignoring whether I'm late or I'm on time, as long as my hair is actually fixed and my make-up is actually applied? I mean, THAT would certainly be a departure from my normal routine. 98% of the time I'm flying out of the house with a wet head and some tinted moisturizer in my purse that I hope to remember to apply in the parking lot of wherever I'm going (but of course I never do.)

I guess the responsible thing to do would be to look over my shortcomings and reevaluate where I could stand to do some growing. I should look at how I spend my time, how I spend my money, and how I balance my responsibilities.

But really? My life is one big dogpile of homeworkanddinnerprepandcubscoutsandphotographyanddiaperchangesandcarrepairsandfundraisers. And between all those things there's always recitalsanddatenightsandbirthdaypartiesandbloggingandplaygroupsandtripstotheemergencyroomandholidays. But please don't forget the libraryandgrocerystoreanddrycleanersandpostofficeanddentistandsundayschoolandveterinarianandhardwarestore.

If I had to guess what 2011 is going to be like? I'm guessing it's going to be a lot like 2010, and also a lot like 2009 only without the pregnancy. I think I'll probably spend a lot of time ignoring the bills until the last possible moment, then sweating while I'm on hold to ask the person at Capital One Visa if they will rescind the late charges for missing the payment cutoff time by 3 hours. Most likely I'll make lots of prepared foods for my family because, frankly, once a week I'd rather open a can of Chef Boyardee than beg my children to please please please just eat the chicken, yes it's normal, not it's not different from last time, yes you can use ketchup, no you will not throw up. I deserve the occasional night off, yo. I am also guessing that I'll spend more time complaining about the messy state my house is in than I will actually doing something about the mess. I'll tweet about it or blog it or give status updates on Facebook, but when it comes to sorting through the papers and receipts and school art projects and coupons, I will stare at the growing mountain and sigh, "That looks like it will take too long to go through. Let's see what's on Netflix!"

I'd like to be all inspired and motivated and crap like that but clearly, it hasn't worked so well for me in the past. Telling myself that this year is going to be different is just setting myself up for failure - once again. I have never made a resolution that lasted more than a few months.

So, here's to a year of meeting daily goals, not yearly. I think yearly goals are great for some people and I'm all BOO-YAH to those of you who've made resolutions and kept them, but I'm just not one of those people. Here's to a year of more pot roast and less pizza. Here's to a year of having the sink empty of dishes before I finally go to sleep at 1am. And here's to trying to actually get to sleep before 1am.

Happy New Year.

10 comments:

Gigi said...

I'm so with you on this! I suck at keeping resolutions; possibly because I like to create unattainable ones. I like the idea of daily goals vs yearly ones. I like it A LOT! I can do anything for a day, right?

Lance said...

booyah back

Thanks for reading my blog and Happy New Year Tex

Prairie Mother said...

Hoorah! Yay for daily goals! I'll feel really advanced if I can ever meet a weekly goal. Happy New year!

Prairie Mother said...

Hoorah! Yay for daily goals! I'll feel really advanced if I can ever meet a weekly goal. Happy New year!

Emily said...

I like your theory...take it one day at a time!

Carrie Thompson said...

and there you have it... the truth in a "pea"nut shell!

I know I never keep mine but I sure do WANT to, I mean what would it feel like if you actually kept one of your resolutions for a WHOLE year! I think it would feel wonderful!

Crystal said...

I always love reading your posts...and this one, again, doesn't disappoint. I am not a resolution gal..never have been. I do set small goals...but I'm the kind of person that needs immediate gratification. So a year long goal.....um, doesn't really coincide! Anywho, hope it's a great one for you and your family!! Glad I've "met" you in 2010!

Anna See said...

Yay you!! I can so relate to this post.

Jennifer said...

Word.

Jennifer said...

I resolve to feel mostly like a failure this year, because I can promise you there are going to be several things I suck at and when 2012 rolls around I will be thinking more about those things than the things I did right.