Thursday, January 27, 2011

How Photography has Changed my Life

This post has been coming for a while. Then, Elizabeth Halford announced a contest on her website, asking readers to submit a story about "How Photography Changed My Life". The words were already inside me, and I'm shocked at how easily they spilled out onto the keyboard.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed to win. Keep yours crossed for me too!

xo

I’m guilty of falling into the mundane life of a stay-at-home mother. My daily priorities include things like cleaning spots off the carpet and organizing the towel closet. Having a family has been a dream of mine since I was a little girl; my own mother held our home together with her two hard-working, loving hands and I had every intention of doing exactly the same thing for my own family.

Then marriage and 5 kids and 13 years happens and I realize that I’ve lost myself. What do I even enjoy anymore? Do I have any interests that are solely mine, and don’t involve my husband or my children? When’s the last time I felt passionate for… anything?

When I started blogging I loved writing and I knew that my words could weave an image in people’s minds. I had the power to shape a story with just the right adjective to make it sad or angry or frustrating. Imagery was mine for the molding.

Then one day I stumbled on a blog where the writer had a natural talent for photography. The images I saw evoked a spark in me which I had not felt in such a long time that the emotion was strangely foreign. I knew I loved the photos but, more than that, I wanted to know why I loved them. I wanted to know how she got her photos to dance in my head, long after I’d closed my eyes. I wanted to take photos that were as powerful as hers; they made my puny little blog posts seem trite in comparison.

Everything I didn’t know about photography was blossoming in my soul, only I didn’t know it yet. I went to the library and absorbed every book I could find. I studied the words and taught myself how to shoot – not just take pictures. Without realizing it, my passion was being stirred. I took small odd jobs to earn the money for a new camera. I shot everything from the mailbox to the dog. I screwed up a lot, and I learned a lot. And I think, the best thing about discovering my passion has been rediscovering the passion I have for my family. Shooting makes me linger in the moment longer, to notice the things that pass away too quickly. If tomorrow I put my camera down forever, I’d still be changed for the better because of who I’ve become.


Texan Mama

7 comments:

Gigi said...

Wow! You definitely have found your passion. You have found something that you were meant to do and that is amazing!

Michelle Saunderson said...

Wow, amazing post! I love that you found your passion, and this post is eloquent and stirring. Your writing is as beautiful as your pictures.

Jennifer said...

I think this is great. That you've found something you love and you are actually doing it and that you are good at it.

the Lola Letters said...

This is just beautiful. I love knowing that you are so passionate and excited about photography.

I hope you are able to continue to grow and learn and have fun with it! Life is short so it is good to do things that make the world a better place for others and for ourselves!

Wishing you all the very best on your journey friend! Love, Becky

I am going to show up as Lola because I am still signed in from our communal global post last night. I am too lazy to log out!

Becky from Life with Kaishon

OHmommy said...

Thank you. But I have to admit that I've spent a good amount of time on flickr taking in your beautiful photos. So many have left me breathless. You have talent, my friend.

Cita Online said...

How beautiful!! Hope you win the contest.

Mrs.Mayhem said...

Good luck in the contest. I hope you win!

Your post echoes how I feel about photography and being a stay at home mother. I am a beginner, and I wish I had a better camera. but I love it!