Thursday, February 24, 2011

Bedtime

This is for MamaKat's Writer's Workshop:
4.) Write a poem about something you are looking forward to.

Every evening at quarter past six
I look to see if your carrot sticks
have all been finished, along with your juice
now it's your time to go drop a deuce
and take a bath to remove the stank
that I've come to know, I have to thank
puberty... and body odor... and sweat
for all the lingering scents I get
to fill my house. On laundry day
I wash all of the smells away
until the next time someone pees
in their pants, or throws up, or sees
a candy bar they MUST. HAVE. NOW.
and then I'm stuck with figuring out how
I have so much damn laundry all the time.
And all these singleton socks?!? They're a dime
a dozen so why do I waste
hours matching them in haste
only to find another rogue loner sock.
But being the maid, I find myself between a rock
and a hard place. It's my lot
in life, it's what I've got
It's where I'm at. I'd better find
the joy, not get left behind
waiting for something that's not there.
My life isn't a tragedy or despair
it's just a normal life, where feelings get hurt
and kids play in the dirt
and we have jell-o dessert
and baby sneezes squirt
boogers onto my shirt
I love my chaotic, hectic, crazy
life. But I do like being lazy
after about 9pm, and unwind
to quiet the to-do list in my mind.
The thing I look most forward to
with anticipation ever anew
is bedtime.
Theirs, Mine.



Texan Mama

8 comments:

Swizz said...

Love. It. !!!!!! :o)

Dawn said...

Very cute! Usually by bedtime I can barely stay awake anymore! Stopping by from Mama Kat's.

Crystal said...

Ha!! I love it!!! You did a great job on it...and ANY mom can relate 100%!!!

Jennifer said...

This is super cute. It reminds me of a Shel Silverstein poem.

Gigi said...

That was awesome! I so remember waiting for bedtime!

B said...

Ahhh, bedtime. My favorite time of the day. Heavenly silence.

Anna See said...

THIS IS FABULOUS! I think you should do it as a rap and freak out the kids. :)

ourpiepshow said...

Amen and Amen!!