Friday, February 18, 2011

Now This is the Shit that Gets me all Riled Up

My kids attend a public school but must wear a uniform, of sorts. Solid colored pants and polo-collared shirts. Shirts must be either solid (any color) or striped, no patterns. Also, shirts and pants may not be the same color when worn together.
Those rules seem kinda easy. The last one seems very stupid to me but whatever.

Today my sons had "free jeans" day at school. They received a pass for today because they had no absences or tardies and also received an "E" (like an "A") in Citizenship.

The note came home that, as a reward, they could wear jeans and a spirit shirt today. NOT for spirit day, where everyone can wear jeans BECAUSE they are showing spirit by wearing a spirit shirt, but rather as a reward for their behavior/attendance the last 6 weeks.

Well, lo and behold, at 8:20 this morning, the school calls our house and tells us that we have a problem because our younger son wore jeans to school but instead wore a REGULATION, UNIFORM SHIRT. (Try to control your gasp. I know, what was he thinking, right???) They told us that we would need to - I can't even believe this - COME UP TO SCHOOL TO BRING HIM THE RIGHT SHIRT (a spirit shirt), or BRING HIM SOME UNIFORM PANTS.

Now, really, is THIS the kind of shit a school needs to worry itself about? And do NOT give me the line about, 'we make these rules and expect everyone to comply because if we bend it for one person then we bend it for everyone.' I know that. I get that. This isn't about letting some kid get by with breaking a rule. I mean, from the whole reason he was even allowed to wear jeans, they knew he was a kid who follows rules (remember... the E in Citizenship?)

His shirt wasn't a Calvin & Hobbes t-shirt with Calvin pissing on .... anything. It wasn't a Marlboro t-shirt. It wasn't a t-shirt at all. It wasn't even the ghastly, disallowed polo shirt with a logo bigger than 1.5 inches! IT WAS A UNIFORM SHIRT!!!

This is exactly the kind of thing that makes me not support the damn school when they need my help.

You can bet your ass there's no way I'm selling any shit like wrapping paper or cookie dough for their damn PTA.

Okay, sorry. Rant over. But you can bet I'll be stewing on this all day.

*Oh, and I had to add this: spirit shirts aren't free. You have to purchase one from the school. SO, even if a kid had earned a jeans day but maybe his family couldn't afford to buy a t-shirt, I guess he's just crap outta luck. I mean, that's not our situation - we have spirit shirts here (probably at least $50 worth) - but it's the principle of the thing.  

Texan Mama

26 comments:

nicole said...

Well that is just ridiculous. A uniform shirt is out of code with jeans? Dumb! Rant away, it is deserving of a rant.

Lynette said...

OMG Your so right....small minded people throwing what lil power they have around....makes you wanna squash them like a bug

misssrobin said...

This would make me mad, too. I find it so surprising what people choose to freak out about. It's just stupid.

Michelle Saunderson said...

Please, I can't believe that they have a problem with a uniform shirt. Like they don't have bigger problems to about. I am sure there was a kid that could have used some one on one instruction from the adult that took the time to call you.

leslie@gleaninggrace said...

I am in total agreement with you! Totally ridiculous and how uncool to waste YOUR time going back over to the school!

Maggie S. said...

What mom anywhere has time to get into a pissing contest with those who claim to be about education, but have time to find fault with compliance.

Frogs in my formula said...

I'm speechless. How ABSURD.

Eve said...

That might be the most insane thing I've heard all week! You've just gotta be kidding!!!
Sigh.

RottenMom said...

This is a very understandable rant.
Just think what the administration could do if they put all that brain power towards something more important than being concerned over a great student wearing a nice clean uniform shirt.

Anna See said...

Geez louise! I do not approve.

Gigi said...

Oh my hell - this is something that would piss me off to no end! And would also lead me into writing a letter to the principal, the school board, and the governor.

Bella @ If This is Motherhood said...

Before my son moved out of "Sucky School" they called me on the first day. His red uniform shirt was the wrong shade of red.....WTF???

rach said...

what the hell? isn't the job of the schools to educate your children and not obsess over what shirt they are wearing?? If there is nothing offensive or obsene I dont understand why there is an issue. Everyone needs to take a chill pill it seems!

Crystal said...

I used to be THAT mom. The one on executive boards, given literally thousands of hours every school year to our school.

Then I realized I could make more of an impact for the five kids in my backseat.

And this shirt situation is exactly the sort of thing that makes parents run! Seriously! Like already stated by others, is his shirt really going to effect his learning? Or anyone's for that matter?

Control. It is so much abotu control.

Jennifer said...

I'm so, so glad that I don't live in your school district. Our kids don't even have to wear "uniforms". We have a dress code, but it isn't like that at all.

Danielle said...

Ugh, arbitrary rules are a major pet peeve! My mom had a similar situation in which the people at her office could wear cropped pants to work as long as they weren't denim, and they could wear jeans on Fridays--but they couldn't wear cropped jeans on Friday!

Givinya De Elba said...

That is flat-out the DUMBEST thing I've heard all day! What did you do? I am severely unimpressed with them, and would come right over there and tell them so ... if it wasn't halfway around the world. Hang in there TexanMama.

CJsKidsClub said...

Honestly, that is EXACTLY the kind of stuff that got me hooked on homeschooling. Well, that plus they DID NOT put my son on the bus on a Friday, I worked 42 miles away (we're rural) so I couldn't get to him and everyone from the teacher to the administrator that had assured me he'd be on the bus BLAMED MY SON (who was then 5). Oh the words I'd like to use!

The Lovely One said...

This is crazy to me! I'm in favor of uniforms, but to get in trouble even when you're wearing a uniform shirt is ridiculous!

Kimberly said...

That is seriously the stupidest thing I've heard all week. Really? These people need to get a clue...get a life...get something!

dumb, dumb, dumb.

Rachael said...

What the hell, man? Is this really the best way for a school to spend it's time? And why can't he wear jeans and a uniform shirt anyhow? It's totally bizarre.

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

Just about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I mean it.

Bridgett said...

Ok, we have uniforms at our public (charter) school, but it's well known that we can't enforce it. The community kinda does it on their own. I like uniforms. But that's not the point.

Someone needs to have a talk with your principal or whomever is in charge about perspective. Being out of uniform in a uniform shirt is like a classic Joseph Heller moment.

mama hall said...

GAH! that makes me SO MAD! i have a similar rant. seriously why are the schools spending so much time & energy on things like THIS??!! so. messed. up.

The Frazzled Mom said...

Woo hoo, sister! Makes you want to slap somebody! I agree, people with a little power pushing it around!

beggarsridinghorses said...

Hi there! Dropping by, just blog cruising...

Yep, have to agree with all the previous posters and you. So he's wearing a uni shirt with the jeans - so what? I would think that it'd be a completely acceptable alternative on reward days like this. Stupid, stupid. I'd be raising holy hell on this.

I perhaps can tell you why the shirt and pants can't match (not sure it's an issue in your school) - I taught in a charter school that finally turned to unis, and the reason the uni colors were enforced was because of gang activity/wannabes and showing colors. The move to unis dropped disciplinary actions by 60%. Just a thought.

Thanks for having me! I'll drop by again soon.

Allie