Saturday, February 26, 2011

Weekly Winners! Feb 20-26

Weekly winners! Yay! My favorite day of the week! Hosted by the ever-charming, always beautiful Lotus.


This week I did some JPEG shooting, which was a change for me. I normally shoot in RAW, but I took my P&S to a park, and then applied some of my Presets in Lightroom, and BAM they were awesome. Which led me to ask myself, is shooting in JPEG better?

If you are lost, basically, RAW is another file type used for camera shooting. When you shoot, JPEG is the normal file type. You take the picture and the itty-bitty computer in your camera tweaks the shot as it feels like doing, then delivers the JPEG image. But if you shoot RAW, the camera does NOT make any changes, leaving all the changes up to the photographer. It's good because if you mess something up (like over or under exposure, or funky lighting), you can edit a lot easier in post-processing. The downside is that the colors are kinda flat and the file size is HAH-YUGE. Plus they need to be converted to JPEG before they are usable for anything on the computer (like printing photos, sharing online, etc. You can't do that with RAW files).

And Presets are like one-click fixes that change your photo. In Photoshop they are called "Actions". But in Lightroom they are called "Presets". You can't use presets in Photoshop and you can't use actions in Lightroom.

Okay, moving on... I realized that some of the presets were supposed to be used on JPEG files but I've been using them on RAW files so they didn't look as good as they could have (but I didn't know it). I totally LOVE presets. They're a little bit like cheating - taking a shortcut on the editing - but I don't mind.

Here's my photos and I'll tell you the preset I used. And, by the way, every one of these presets were free. I have bought a few, but the ones I use the most have been my free ones.

Preset: Summer Glow from Pretty Presets

Preset: B&W Creative - Look 3 (free preset included with Lightroom)


Preset: Boost (free, included with Lightroom)

Preset: Summer Glow

On this picture, I used the preset: Sweet Honey by Pretty Presets (on a RAW file, it's intended to be used on JPEG). I felt it needed some more oomph, so after applying the presets, I tweaked a few sliders and got this result, which I really liked:


Preset: Boost



Preset: B&W Filter - Blue High-Contrast Filter (included with Lightroom)


I had so much fun with my camera this week. Learning more behind the lens, as well as in post-processing.

Have a wonderful week y'all!

Texan Mama

17 comments:

Tara R. said...

Wonderful set and a lot of great info.

I've tried shooting in RAW and like jpeg better, just because the images are so big and take up so my memory on my media cards.

Donna said...

Since I discovered actions in Photoshop I use them quite often. So many choices and they really can boost a photo. I use to only shoot jpeg but switched to raw which I prefer now.

Foursons said...

I think your shots this week are the best you've done so far as a group. All of them are excellent.

stacy: the aunt with gum said...

Gorgeous set but the first one is by far my favorite. The angle, the colors, and she looks like she's having a blast!

Sarah said...

I shoot in RAW when I'm shooting with my DSLR, but my p-n-s gets JPEG (or my phone). I LOVE using presets in Photoshop. I have a trial of Lightroom, and I'm not sure I like it, LOL!

Lotus (Sarcastic Mom) said...

Lightroom is awesome! It has seriously streamlined my workflow. And yes, presets are pretty darn fun to play with. I've grabbed a handful of free ones already, also.

Lovely shots! I really dig the black and white and the bridge.

Terrie said...

i love this set! i have yet to try shooting in RAW, for several reasons, huge file size, lack of god editing software, but mostly it's just very intimidating....you've inspired me to go out and try, and if it's an epic fail, i can always rely on the itty-bitty camera computer to do that work for me!

Jennifer said...

I love Lightroom. I just wish I had more time to play around with it. Right now I pick out my favorite photos and then just edit those.

Denise said...

Okay, makin' me want Lightroom even more!! Thanks for all the information about the photos and actions. GREAT set!

Miss Rhei said...

I love the pictures. Ahm, I know jpeg but all the others, nah. Just want to say that the colors are great in the pictures you've posted.

Dropping by from SITS. Have a great day!

April said...

I'm visiting from SITS! I really love your blog! I'm trying hard to gain more knowledge about photography...looks like this is the place to be! I am now a faithful follower! Happy SITS Day!

Tamela said...

These are beautiful photos! I really like the close up black and white shots.

Charlotte said...

Admittedly, I don't know much about photography, but I always appreciate a beautiful photograph. And yours are just that :)

Brandi. said...

Love the pics!
I really need to get some books out and learn how to use my camera. I've always loved photography but never had the money for a "real" camera and am lucky to get a few decent shots. :)

Stopping by from SITS and I am now following!

misssrobin said...

Each and every one of these shots is beautiful.

The Falconer's Wife said...

Hi - I found your site through SITS - love all of your photos!!

thatgirlblogs said...

I have a real addiction to Action sets. As in, my husband will probably leave me one day based on my addiction.

I will take an awesome photo of his car driving away... with an urban action maybe? Hm. Retro? Boost? Unclear.