Tuesday, March 22, 2011

And This is how I waste my money

The other day I posted on Facebook that I was busy doing the job I dread the most, of all the horrendous Cinderelly jobs I do every day (because I totally signed onto this Stay-At-Home-Servant thing but OH HOLY HELL the sheer amount of clutter that 7 people produce makes me break out into a cold sweat): the semi-annual clothing switch-out.

You know what I'm talking about: sweaters for tank tops, boots for flip-flops, jeans for shorts, coats for swimsuits, etc. Funny, though, how there are 5 children in our household and I am responsible for changing out the clothes of all 5. Plus myself. So, 6 tubs of clothes come down from the attic and must be dug through. And 6 more must be brought down from the attic to be filled up with the outgoing clothes. Then I need to figure out, "Wait, this SAYS 4T but is it REALLY 4T? or is it more like 3T? And where are the matching pants for this outfit?" Plus I need at least one empty box to toss all the clothes that my kids have burned through with stains/holes/stretched out/bleached out/worn out to go to the trash or to charity.

This whole process takes at least a week for me. I never have enough energy to do it all at once. Plus, it never fails that I will think I'm all done and then find one or two pairs of shoes or pants or a lone mitten that must be put away. But going up into the attic and digging out the right box for ONE ITEM is such a pain. So that one item gets moved from the kitchen counter to the dryer to the garage and back into the kitchen counter for probably 6 months, until I finally get the boxes down again and then I finally put it away.

Yes, I'm on top of things like that.

What? I have a ton of other WAY more pressing stuff to do. Like blog. You're welcome.

Anyway, it's inevitable that I get the clothes mixed up. Summer into the winter boxes. Girls into the boys boxes. 6T into the 6 months box. They all co-mingle. It's one giant Garanimals mosh pit.

So you can understand my surprise when I went to pull out the clothes for Baby Violet and found only a few stray pieces. I thought, surely she has more than this. Where did all the clothes go from Sally just 2 years ago?

No, I didn't do the logical thing. I didn't dig through the other boxes marked 18-24mos/2T. I mean, WHY WOULD I? I opened the top and the clothes were winter! Nothing would be UNDER the winter clothes, right?

So I bought some stuff at the consignment sale. Not a ton, just a few outfits. Ditto for the resale shop. Just some basics.

Once I got the new (-to-us-but-actually-used) stuff home and into Violet's dresser, the drawer still looked empty. But I wouldn't let it go. I was just SURE there was some other stuff. I climbed up the attic stairs to dig in the boxes.

Well, apparently that winter stuff on the top layer of the attic box? It was covering up all the clothes underneath. In Violet's size. Now, of course, I can't close the drawer in the dresser. Violet has a whole section of just rompers. JUST THOSE ONE-PIECE THINGS. Casual dresses, dressy dresses, shorts, shirts, outfits. Now she even has 5 bathing suits. And a cover up (for her modesty, God forbid she show too much thigh).

Did I mention she's only 16 months old? That child has more clothes than me.

And I'm pretty sure I'll be reading this blog post 6 months from now and realizing I just did it again.

Texan Mama

13 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e) said...

From the looks of most kids I know, they all have more clothes than I do!

I can't imagine the hassle of that job. But I can point out, be glad you're pulling out summer clothes, we're about 2-3 mos. from that here!

(Slap me for being glass half full/Pollyanna, okay?)

Jennifer said...

I've never done this whole switch out of the clothes thing. I guess because growing up where it doesn't get that cold you don't really have too. But I do have tons of clothes I need to go through to take to the resale shop. Tons.

leslie@gleaninggrace said...

Oh, I feel your pain! We have to do this, and soon! There is a kids consignment sale coming up and I need to get everything ready.
My kids actually share a room right now and the whole drawer closing, having enough drawers, is a REALLY big deal.
But listen to me complaining about doing it for 2 when you have to do it for 5!
Sorry ~ here's hoping it goes quickly!

Gigi said...

I don't do the whole switch thing - I just shove everything in the closet and drawers and just live with the insanity of looking for a sweater while sifting through tank tops. I tried it once (long ago) and the mere thought of it made me batty.

Heather said...

My little one always ends up with a ton of clothes because I never do the switch up early enough - I hate it and then end up purchasing things on the fly! And then getting rid of them - oh the pain! I can't stand it!

Jennifer said...

Ugh.. I HATE switching out the clothes! I still have another month or two to dread it before I have to worry about it, though.

Anna See said...

It's hard to keep up with this stuff. I can't imagine what it would be like if I didn't do it. Do our husbands have ANY idea of what we do, at least 2x a year, to sort and toss and clean and organize the clothes? I think not.

Michelle Saunderson said...

We don't have enough winter clothes here to actually do a whole switch out. The kids have to go through their clothes a couple of times a year to clear out the stuff that is too small or stained, etc... Yes, I am spoiled that I don't have to do this for my kids.

Leslie Limon said...

You are a much better SAHM than I am. I feel like I should be separating the clothes by size, and what I'm saving for who and what will still be usable for the child to use next winter. But I am nowhere near that organized. And well, I'm a bit of a procrastinator. (Sshhh! Don't tell anyone my dirty secret!) I end up throwing all of the winter clothes into a HUGE hefty bag and just tossing it into our storage room. :P

Karen said...

I remember it being a big job, keeping up with the seasonal clothes in the box sorting. Just think of the money you donated to help the less fortunate by buying at the thrift shop.

Miss Rhei said...

Tough job indeed! Just imagine all those clothes. We have summer here so we just have to put the jackets and boots away. Other than that pretty much the same outfit. :)

thatgirlblogs said...

I just posted my closet cleaning fiasco. I feel ya"

tz said...

I'm always doing stuff like that....and I too am amazed how much clutter only four of us can accumulate....if I trip over another pair of shoes, you may see me on the news!