Sunday, March 27, 2011

Weekly Winners: Chasing Balloons

Family time is a valuable commodity in our house. It's rare and when it's available, it is never wasted.

Sometimes, we have to carve out family time purposefully. We get very caught up in school and scouts and volunteering and church meetings, etc. I can only speak for myself, but everything that keeps me busy makes me happy. I am not involved in anything that I don't really enjoy.

Still, I know well the saying about "too much of a good thing".

On Saturday, my husband's best friend arrived in town for a visit. As soon as my husband got off work we took all the kids up to the park to play with balloon rockets. In case you haven't seen these things, basically they are long balloons that you pump up, then let go to fly up into the air. We like to let them go & make a race of it. The balloons never travel the same direction: sometimes making a bee line across the field, sometime shooting high up into the air, and sometimes wiggling up and down, left and right, making corkscrew turns and landing in exactly the spot it started. But chasing a deflating balloon is good fun: good for the legs, good for the heart, and good for the soul.

Pumping up the balloons...
balloon chasing 1
balloon chasing 2

The chase begins...
balloon chasing 6
balloon chasing 9
balloon chasing 8

And of course, lots of horseplay ensues...
balloon chasing 4
balloon chasing 3

I haven't seen these legs move like that in a while. Not even for the Wii.
balloon chasing 5

She just tried to keep up, bless her heart.
balloon chasing 7

Texan Mama

13 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e) said...

Did you ever find her shoe?

Great action, great action shots!

(Jealous of you and your warm weather.)

:)

Gigi said...

Those ARE amazing shots! Bless her, she tried so hard she lost a shoe!

Definitely missing Texas weather right about now - we've been plunged right back into winter!

Amy said...

LOVE this! What a great idea!!!

Jennifer said...

Looks like you ran her right out of her shoe!

It is good that Texan Papa was out and moving around. Has he been feeling better?

Tara R. said...

This looks like so much fun!

Donna@My Sweet Things said...

What fun family time. I love you were able to capture those moments and one day be able to look back at them. Terrific!

Sarah said...

Oh these shots are just absolutely GORGEOUS!! Oh wow!!

April said...

Now, that looks like a FUN time to me!!!

Jennifer said...

Great action shots! I LOVE the angle of "the chase begins"

misssrobin said...

It also looks like a great idea to wear the kids out so they'll sleep well. I'm always in favor of those activities.

Denise said...

These just look like SO MUCH FUN!! Great shots of good times!

Lucy @ The Ultimate Gift Guide said...

That looks like fun! My kiddos have a thing for balloons too. Love the legs shot with the sun in the background, it's interesting and fun.

Life with Kaishon said...

Gretchen! These are my favorite pictures I have ever seen of yours. I absolutely feel like you captured the joy and happiness of this outing. It is perfect! You ROCKED it!

I always love seeing you : ) You are a breath of fresh air in this sometimes stagnant blog world.

Wishing you the happiest of weekends! May you chase balloons and hug necks and have much happiness!