Thursday, April 7, 2011

Either I'm committed, or I should be committed

So, here's the thing about blogging.

If you're going to do it, and do it well, you have to focus. Commit yourself. Make a plan for success and NEVER. DEVIATE. FROM. THE. PLAN.

Taking a vacation? You better pack your laptop & pray the hotel has free wi-fi. No rest for the weary.

Laundry piling up? Teach the kids how to fold & knock out another post.

Over the last 3 years I have blogged to my little heart's content and now I wonder, GAH what would I do with all my free time if I quit blogging?

*this is NOT the part of the post where I tell you I'm quitting.*

But seriously, though. Lately I have been pouring more time into photography. Sorry if that's annoying, as I know some of you come for the awesomeness that is my erratic posts filled with mildly witty writing and the occasional helpful hints about what you can do with poo.

I still love that post.

Now my Google Reader is up to 389 unread posts. WHY ISN'T THE REST OF THE WORLD IGNORING THEIR FEED READERS LIKE I AM??? The only way I ever get it cleared is if I "mark all as read". I swear, I do read a LOT of posts, but can't comment on them.

And here's the sucky part: I feel like I am cheating on y'all by doing other things like
  • watching a movie with my husband
  • editing photos that a client will be paying me for
  • studying the bible
  • using the toilet without a laptop on my ... laptop

Sometimes it's just good to step away from the computer, technology, and the media. I'm 100% serious when I wonder, am I addicted to the internet? I can't hardly concentrate on anything if I know a Facebook status update is coming... or if I'm waiting a response to an email.... or if I post a picture on Flickr.... I'm all, refresh - refresh - refresh - refresh - refresh...

So in case you haven't heard from me for a while, don't worry. I'm not gone. And I'm not going to apologize for not being around... I'll be there. Maybe I'll be in the background but I'll be there. When the immediate needs of life are less immediate, I'll probably find my way back here and be oversharing just like the old times!

Now I have to go check that forum to see if anyone's posted on my threads...



Texan Mama

13 comments:

Swizz said...

And we'll be here when you have the time to blog! No pressure from us peanut gallery members. :o)

mwah!

Amy said...

You can blog anytime. Your kids won't be little forever!

Bill said...

Amen.

anymommy said...

I get it.

Gigi said...

What you've written is something that could have easily been my words (only you put them together so much nicer).

J said...

Once again, you pretty much described exactly how I feel!

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e) said...

So is your blog for business or just fun? Make it just fun, and relax a bit. If you're in our readers, we'll still find you when you find time to post!

But, before you hit "mark all as read", read my post today, it's funny (I hope) and all true. (

www.ellieisanewthing.blogspot.com

Jennifer said...

I think you just have to work the blogging around all that other stuff, because that other stuff is actually important. Sometimes hobbies have to take a back seat.

Maggie S. said...

If you'll forgive me, I sometimes skip days...if you do reruns, I am into that. Please promise me you will use the toilet alone. You need some 'me'(meaning you) time.

Elaine A. said...

I feel like I'm a little "addicted" myself lately but I can never seem to step back. And I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because a lot of my friends are through the internet now and I do get a rush from comments and updates and emails. Sad but true.

All that being said I plan to take a break around Easter since we will be traveling then and I need to be with my family WHOLE-HEARTEDLY. They deserve more of me.

I think a break is a good thing and especially since you are focusing on your photography more now. No worries. THIS will still be here...

Jennifer said...

I feel you on not keeping up with the new posts. I feel the same way. I am so behind that I only end up reading the posts of you guys that I "know" well. I am having the same focus and time problem. Except that mine is also coupled with writer's block. I used to always have posts and ideas swirling around in my head and I had to keep notes so when I got time to post, I could pick one. Now, I don't know why, but all of my energy- creative and otherwise has been totally zapped and I got nuttin'. Nada. At least you have an excuse- working on the photography that is actually making you money- I don't even have that. I am not making any money.

jori-o said...

That's exactly why I cooled it on the blogging front. I was getting my own priorities out of order--everything I did, I was creating blog posts in my head (most went unwritten!) and I was never just enjoying my kids, my life. I was always trying to make it a reality episode. There are a lot of people out there who can balance it all and do it well. I'm not one of them :)
And I'm OK with that.

misssrobin said...

Never apologize for living your real life. You made a commitment to your family. You belong to them and they to you. That is your first priority. And it should be.

And don't feel bad about not commenting. I frequently have to read and run. I don't skip many because I hate to miss out. However, I do drop blogs if I am not interested in them anymore.

There are enough big things in life to worry about. I can't worry about this stuff. I just don't have that much emotional room.

Take care of you. Take care of your family. The rest will take care of itself.