Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I {Heart} You

I recently got a cell phone for my business use. You see, until recently I had been on my parents' family talk plan.

What? So I'm 39 and I've never paid a cell phone bill in my life. Don't judge. Can I get a holla for anyone else who's a grown-up and still on their parents' cell phone plan???

*crickets*

Anyway...

This new cell phone (I bought it at Kroger! Did you even know Kroger sells cell phone? It's so cute and pink!) has texting. So, basically, until about 3 months ago when people would say, "I'll send you a text," I would start hunting in my purse for a pen & old receipt to write on because I'd have to admit, "Uh, I don't have texting. You'll need to just write it down.... here...." I'd hand them the pen and crumpled paper and they would look at it like I was telling them to wash their clothes by banging it on a rock down by the river. Like, "Are you serious?"

But now, I. HAVE. TEXTING!!! I feel so grown up. No, I don't have an android phone or iphone. My screen just shows me stuff, it doesn't respond to touch. Still, it's so cool to get that "BLEEP BLEEP" that tells me I have an incoming text. My heart does a little pitter patter.

Texan Papa, of course, thinks I'm all new-fangled. He thinks texting is COMPLETELY unnecessary. Okay, maybe. But lots of things are unnecessary. I just try to keep it all in stride. I still call people more from my home land line and I try to avoid texting unless I really need to, and only when it's not disturbing anyone.

Texan Papa doesn't have texting. Heck, he doesn't even have a cell phone. Well, he kinda does; he inherited my cell phone that's on my parents' family plan. But it doesn't have texting, which is fine with him. He doesn't even carry it except when he's going somewhere that he might need it. Otherwise he likes being able to go out and NOT BE DISTURBED.

Wait, now that I think about it, there is a method to his madness...

When Texan Papa is at work, we often communicate via email. And, I have to say, these are our best conversations. I have NO idea why and I wish I could figure it out. Maybe it's because we can each talk and not get interrupted. Maybe it's because emails don't communicate a "tone" as in "DON'T TAKE THAT TONE WITH ME, I DON'T APPRECIATE IT." Maybe it's because we are both better writers than we are speakers. Who knows.

But whatever the reason, I'm glad he's at least plugged into the internet, and that he hasn't blocked me. Yet.

Texan Mama

11 comments:

Amy said...

Ha! Welcome to "the texting." It is addictive. Glad you went with pink!

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

I do not text. Shame on me eh?

Jennifer said...

People that don't think texting is necessary are the ones that haven't tried it yet. I know because I used to be the same way and now I love it. It is my main form of communication when I need to get in touch with someone. I've always hated talking on the phone, but texting I love.

Maggie S. said...

I hate texting, because I have a phone that wasn't designed for it. It was designed for CALLING.

Everyone says what Jennifer says.

We are trying to upgrade, but can't really spend moron;-) communications services than we already do.

Bridgett said...

My sister is 28 and still on my parents' plan. She thinks that until they notice and tell her to get off, she's not saying anything!

nicole said...

Most of my babysitters prefer communication via text, because they can get unlimited texting cheaper than paying for minutes. Husband and I love texting each other--great platform for flirting and checking in with each other while out with friends without sharing our obnoxiousness with others. ;) Enjoy!

Que said...

Being someone who works with computers and phones and such all of the time... I find this hilarious. And not is this "HAHA you finally made it out of the 80s" laugh. More like a "watching a child learn to walk and seeing them fall on the floor" kinda laugh. Thanks. I needed that. And thanks to Mama Made it Look Easy for making that possible. :)

Gigi said...

Texting - I can can take it or leave it. BUT I can't live without my Blackberry for twitter and email. But texting has become the main line of communication for my son so I had to get a limited package (while he has some ridiculous thing for unlimited texts) but Hubby refuses to text so it sounds like he and Texan Papa would get along just fine.

Next upgrade for you? A Smartphone - your whole life will change.

misssrobin said...

I can't imagine my life without texting. Especially with five kids aged 12-20. It's a life saver!

I hope you can adjust. I think you'll find it a valuable thing.

And my husband and I have some of our best conversations via email, too.

thatgirlblogs said...

so funny - I'm on my hubby's work plan, but I can only use it a certain amount so it's kind of similar to a parent plan.

our "real phone" is broken, so I'm cell-dependent right now and terrible at it. Also the slowest texter in the world...

Carrie said...

omg, we have our own cell phones... {i'm so old they didn't have them when i lived at home with my parents!} but after reading your post i dreamed that i was part of my parent's family plan and the phones were so basic they weren't good for much of anything! just wanted to let you know how your post(s) affect & stayed with me. :) have a great day!