Saturday, May 28, 2011

You Want What??

Have you ever heard of Freecycle? It's a cool site where you can offer items to fellow members for free! The idea is to keep things out of the landfill and maybe provide some usefulness for people who need such things. Members can also request items that they possibly need; for example, teachers needing old magazines for a school project or a person needing firewood, etc. Sometimes members get rid of stuff that still has a lot of use left in it, but they just don't need it or want it anymore.

One person's trash is another person's treasure and all that.

Freecycle is free to join and it's run regionally, so that members are able to pick up items from local areas. It's run through Yahoo Groups, I think. Of course, there are rules that include, you are not to take offered items and then turn around & sell them. That's not the point of Freecycle and you can get booted out of the group for that.

Lately, though, I've noticed that the requests have gotten quite a bit more ... extravagant. In my inbox right now are requests for:
a 12-16 foot trailer
a working computer
an elliptical trainer or a treamill
a car for their child

Um.... really?

Even some of the requested items that aren't big still seem like pie in the sky requests. Stuff like:
a trombone
a twin bed
a camping tent & airbeds

I guess it's the old saying, if you ask for nothing that's what you'll get. But really?

I always get my wire hangars from Freecycle when I do the spring/fall consignment sales. And I've offered up a few of my own items, like a cub scout uniform and iris bulbs. I've taken advantage of some offers like newish kid shoes and roller blades. We even got a mattress from someone, but that was sketchy... I had Texan Papa pick it up since he has more discriminating taste than I do. No stains, no cigarette smell, and no signs of bedbugs. Check, check, and check.

So now I just wonder what's going to be up there next.

8 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

I probably should sign up since I love getting rid of stuff...

Free iris bulbs? Those I'd take!

Foursons said...

I've gotten some great stuff on Freecycle one of them being a genuine Coach purse. It was stuffed under a whole bunch of clothes and when I emailed the woman to make sure she really wanted to give it away she said she did!

I saw someone ask for an IPad the other day. Yeah, wouldn't that be nice!

Don E. Chute said...

Thanks T.M. I had never heard of this before. I will give er' a try.

Have a blessed Memorial!
Aloha From Sunny South Florida...

Gigi said...

I think I signed up for that once - got confused and then deleted it. Information overload, if I recall correctly.

I guess these folks figure it can't hurt to ask.

You want wire hangers? I'll send 'em to you - I hate those things.

Anna See said...

i want to get into freecycle on my next level of paring down.
1)flea market
2) yardsale
3) freecycle

i'll probably just end up w/ an empty house and 4 straight backed chairs left by the time i'm finished. :)

Bridgett said...

I have the same experience you've had. I go there to look for things like firewood or hangers or boy clothes size 2T or things like that. I offer up stuff like an old breadmaker I never used, or three boxes of yarn. Other pass-arounds. But sometimes I'm astonished by the requests as well. Ballsy, really.

Jennifer said...

I haven't checked out Freecycle for our area, but we do have a local website that is like Craigslist and it has a free section. I'm always amazed at the stuff that is on there.

Beth Zimmerman said...

I did FreeCycle for a little while but I don't think anyone was making sure the rules were being followed here. It seemed like an awful lot of stuff was showing up in garage sales the weekend after it was on FreeCycle. The only stuff left was the junk!