Thursday, June 16, 2011

Hobbies, Anyone?

I'm not what you might call a creative person. Oh sure, I can make a scrapbook page that's pretty decent. But honestly, I get my best ideas from seeing what other people can do.

For a while, I was into making stamped cards. You know, the rubber stamps and ink pads and paper punches and ribbons and glue, etc.? Now that I've realized I can buy a package of very cute cards at the dollar store for... well, a DOLLAR... I've kinda lost my motivation to go through all that work for something that will likely get tossed in the trash.

I used to sew a bunch too. When Peppermint Patty was younger, I would make a TON of her clothes. Mostly I made dresses or matchy-matchy outfits. Once I made a cute pair of capri pants out of some orange fabric with butterflies. Then I used some extra fabric to cut out a butterfly & sewed it onto a purple t-shirt and even hand-stitched some dotted lines to show the butterfly flying around in a swirly motion.

I'm almost envious of people who are into reading. I love reading books but I am a S-L-O-W reader. It takes me a full 2 weeks to get through a chick-lit novel. I just don't have good reading speed so reading becomes tedious. Plus, I can barely read all the blogs in my feed reader, let alone a book too. *sigh*

But what have I got now? Well, yes, I have my photography. That's been a lot of fun and is helping me rediscover my creative outlet.

But, I've got Blogging. My main hobby is the computer! What would I do without it? I'm almost afraid to think about it. My mom was here visiting last week and I am pretty sure she went home thinking, "my GOSH that girl is on the computer all day long!!!"

The computer has become like an extension of my hands. Sometimes it's a comfort. Sometimes it's a nuisance. Sometimes it solves problems for me and sometimes it creates new ones.

For as much as I know that I need to strike a better balance with the computer and the other areas of my life, I really do struggle with it.

So, what are your hobbies? Do you ever feel your computer time taking over your life like I do mine?

This post is part of MamaKat's Writers workshop.


Texan Mama

11 comments:

Sarah said...

I also do the scrapbooking and the card making (I fell away from it as of late as well), but I'm in the same boat as you--I much prefer to write on my blog and see what others are writing about! I have a hard time remembering what my life was like before all of this!

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

I am learning how to knit and sew. I hope to learn to crochet too. I've started baking a bit more. And I've taken up running.

If I walked away from the computer, I'd be much farther along in these pursuits...

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

Oh, and I do read books, but not as much as I like. I really do need to limit my screen time. Eep! The cold sweats are starting already, could be the virus I have or it could be fear...

Lex the mom said...

I am so with you about the cards - who can pass up a dollar &, like you, I feel if it's getting tossed...

The clothes you were making - especially the outfit you detailed sounds so cute! I don't have that in me, for sure.

I enjoy photo editing, creating computer graphics, making jewelry, & writing. being a bit of an "other life" voyeur, I love reading other blogs, though I don't always comment, I like the glimpses of other lives one gets from blog reading.

Beth Zimmerman said...

My computer is DEFINITELY my main hobby! I can easily spend 6+ hours a day writing, reading, commenting, etc. I have some pinched nerve issues in my left arm and a problem with my neck. I told hubby the other day that I don't suppose data entry is a great career given my condition. BUT ... if I was home I'd be on the computer anyway so I might as well get paid for it!

BlessedMomof2 said...

I'm a reader! Love books. Generally about a book a week but sometimes I'm slower. But I always have a book going. I used to scrapbook but who has time with little kids?!? My 7 yr old - I have his done to his first bday & my 2 yr ok'd - I bought one of those already done you just fill in the pic kinds. I hope she forgives me!!! I love to cross-stitch but gotta wait til the little one gets another year or two older so she's not into it.

I'd love to learn to sew and get better at knitting - I can only do blankets & scarves!!!

Hohum - once the kids are bigger.... Now my
Main hobbies are laundry and referee!!!

Gigi said...

Hobbies....I keep thinking I need to get me a couple of those. I've tried my hand at a few, but none have caught my interest for long. I'm not really crafty either - anything I do is usually inspired by someone else's creation.

I do read - ALOT. And now that I don't have a small one around can spend hours and hours reading if it's a great book.

I have blogging (and blog-reading) too. So I guess I'm covered in the hobby area; since these are the only two that seem to have "stuck."

GunDiva said...

I read like a starved man at an all-you-can-eat buffet! Have always loved to read, but RCC really kicked my reading into high gear when he got me a nook for our anniversary last year.

I used to scrapbook a lot and have jillions of half-finished books to prove it. I keep thinking I'm going to finish them and be done with it, but it just takes so much time. It easily takes me an hour to just get organized to start working on my scrapbooks, so I have to plan an entire day to do it.

Blogging has pretty much taking the place of scrapbooking - I get to put up some pics when I want and do a little bit of journaling.

Bear and Bones Mama said...

Is paying bills considered a hobby? Sigh.

I like to can, mostly jams and jellys, but also savory stuff. I become a bit obsessed with it in the summer.

I am also trying my first sprint trialthon this July. I don't know if that is considered a hobby...but it sure ain't considered, for me, a competition!

Anna See said...

Hmmm. I do a lot of sitting and magazine reading. Does that count? I am so impressed w/ your photography. I would LOVE to learn but am intimidated.

Jennifer said...

Blogging and reading. Those are my two favorite things to do.