Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Tempura Batter for Chicken Fingers

I know, you're all... what the what? Texan Mama is giving us a recipe???

But... this isn't a cooking blog! you're saying to yourself.

Well, self, you're right. And normally I would spare you from my excellent kitchen catastrophes. I have, in the past, shared my ravioli recipe. Tonight though is a special treat: I bring you into the Texas tradition of deep frying.
8-27-4606

And when I say "Texas Tradition" I'm totally faking it because, did you know I'm not really from Texas? Yes I do live here for another month or so, but I'm not a Texas native. None the less, I have seen many things deep fried down here, from Twinkies to Oreos, butter to Coca Cola. One thing I've always seemed to miss when trying to deep fry my own junk food is a tempura batter recipe. You know what I'm talking about... the kind of crispy coating that comes on the outside of Sweet 'N Sour Chicken from the Chinese food restaurants. Well, I found one and now it's my go-to recipe for artery-clogging goodness.

And because I love y'all, I'm going to share it with you too.

Ingredients: 2 cups flour, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 2 cups water, 3 Tbsp Vinegar, and 1 1/2 tsp baking soda.
8-27-4600

Mix together the flour, salt, and water. In a separate bowl or cup, combine the vinegar & baking soda (it will foam up a bit) and then pour it into the flour mixture. Dip your favorite items in it and deep fry in vegetable oil!
8-27-4603

Voila!! Yummy, crunchy, unhealthy goodness.
8-27-4609

you're welcome.



Texan Mama

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hey there! This looks delicious and I cant wait to try it! Also wanted to let you know I pinned you :) http://pinterest.com/pin/153924338/

Thanks so much!

Leeanna said...

It's always the good stuff that is bad for you. I don't mind clogging my arteries as long as it's good.

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

"Tuscan Garden" vinegar.


giggle.

Gigi said...

That looks really good! So, what time should I stop by for dinner?

Jennifer said...

"Unhealthy goodness" That's my kind of recipe.