Wednesday, September 7, 2011

I {heart} Lungs!

I Love BoobiesIs that the weirdest thing you've ever heard? I can honestly say, I've never seen a bracelet or t-shirt promoting Lung Cancer Awareness with that phrase on it.

Did you know, Lung Cancer is by far the leading cause of cancer death in the United States, according to this 2011 data from the American Cancer Society.

I was thinking about this because of all the popularity of the "I {heart} boobies!" t-shirts and bracelets. What do you think of them? The Keep a Breast Foundation is responsible for this popular trend. The purpose of Keep A Breast's "I Love Boobies" Campaign is to speak to young people in their own voice about a subject that is often scary and taboo, according to Sarah Hardwick from the Foundation's public relations department. (Source) Do you think these t-shirts raise awareness to an otherwise unengaged age bracket?

Some people feel the "I {heart} boobies!" t-shirts and bracelets don't really have a place in schools because they minimize the importance of a very serious subject. What do you think?

I'd just love to know if Lance Armstrong is going to start wearing a t-shirt that reads "I {heart} balls!" If that's too racy maybe he could just wear one that says, "I {heart} nuts."


I also wonder if these bracelets and t-shirts would have gained so much popularity if they had said "I {heart} colons!" or "I {heart} Pancreases!" or even "I {heart} skin!"

I know this was an argument that happened like, forever ago. But it's been rattling around in my brain so I thought I would love to hear what y'all think about it.

Photo Credit, used under Creative Commons license on Flickr.


Texan Mama

9 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

Kids wear them to school. We tell them not to. So far no complaints.

However, one day a girl wore a pair of ALS antenna (deely boppers/headband with bouncy hands on it) to school, and I asked her take them off, and her mom went nuts.

The I <3 boobies thing puts the emphasis on breasts, not on cancer. They are not fooling anyone.

Tara R. said...

The Lance Armstrong thing made me snort.

I do like the bracelets that say 'save the tatas.' Not nearly as 'in your face' as boobies.

mama hall said...

oh my goodness you're cracking me up girlfriend. i want a bracelet that says "i {heart} lymph nodes!"

i agree the bracelets are not appropriate for children to wear in school. if the schoolers must show their support for breast cancer awareness, give them a box of pink Tic Tacs instead!

Jennifer said...

I didn't realize that slogan was aimed at kids/teens, or that they were wearing shirts to school with the slogan. I would think that kids weren't really getting the message behind the slogan and were just doing it to be edgy. Just my opinion of course.

And yes, I would totally wear an I {heart} lungs shirt. Totally.

Gigi said...

I can see were the kids wearing that to school can be distracting; because we all know how childish kids can be.

Bridgett said...

Yeah, not for school.

I know, quite well, two breast cancer survivors (one 20+ years!) and neither of them do the walks or wear anything with pink ribbons and would be mortified by this campaign (they both lost both breasts in the process). I think it's more than a bit insensitive. I do like the breast cancer prevention group whose symbol is a raised clenched fist, however....

That Janie Girl said...

Not for school, I agree.

Denise said...

GREAT argument!! (The Lance Armstrong thing cracked me up.)

Rachael said...

I seriously just cracked up at the idea of Lance Armstrong in an 'I Heart Balls' shirt.

I don't know... I kind of don't get this type of support for things like breast cancer. I don't really think making these shirts or putting pink ribbons on everything is helping anyone all that much.