Thursday, September 29, 2011

Where I'm From

Where I'm From

I am from banana-seat bicycles, from Atari 2600 and Shrinky Dinks.
I am from the sound of my father up at 6am on Saturday morning, fixing up our house or helping our neighbor fix up theirs.
I am from the aloe plant on our windowsill, the cure-all for grabbing a cookie from the cookie sheet too soon.
I am from movie nights with popcorn and chocolate milkshakes and "Oh, just let them be kids!" From Grandma-Mom and Uncle J and Aunt R and more cousins than I could count.
I am from gifts that say I love you but not as much as people who say I love you.
From "Santa bought your presents at Target this year" to "Stop crying or I'll give you some to cry about."
I am from long Catholic roots and mass every Sunday because the only thing worse than making God mad would be making my mom mad. From, don't ask why, just trust the priest, that's the way we do it.
I'm from St. Louis my whole life and Fredericktown at Thanksgiving and Easter, from Velvet Freeze ice cream and Miracle Whip Sandwiches and kaczka (duck blood sausage from the Polish deli - I *think* that's the right spelling).
From idolizing my big sister, wishing I could be her best friend even though I was 13 years younger. From learning years later how much she cherished the letters I mailed to her at college when I was in 1st grade and how much she loved sleeping in the bed with me when she came home for Christmas break.
I am from the same hand-knit Christmas stocking every year for as long as I can remember, and still the same one today. I am from a mother who taught me how to live simply so that others may simply live, and a father who taught me that splurging on myself, in moderation, is good for the soul. I'm from parents who are opposites, yet have fit together perfectly for over 55 years.

I'm Linking Up with MamaKat's Writer's Workshop (even though this is a prompt from last week). I read Jennifer's and loved it so much I had to do it this week!

Texan Mama

9 comments:

Karen Harrington said...

This is so genuine and inspirational! Thanks for sharing it.

Jennifer said...

Beautiful. I love it.

littlelegsmom said...

I cried. My first graders' writings are so dear. With just one sentence you captured that memory so clearly. I could see your sister reading those letters and you sweetly creating those treasures. And the cozy sleeping together when she was home....I am a mess of tears now. Beautiful. Loved it!!

Patty Ann said...

I loved doing it last week too! And I think you did a great job this week!!

Oddyssey said...

Wow, did your post bring back some wonderful memories! I love how you painted such a wonderful picture of not only where you are from, but who you are as a person.

Stopped by from Mama Kat's and glad I did. :o) Thanks for the fond memories.

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

Read this yesterday, and it warmed my heart. Thank you for sharing.

Melani said...

This is a great post! Brought back many memories of my childhood and the way I grew up. I have been not posting for a long time, due to computer issues and then just not wanting to blog for personal reasons I suppose. I love reading your blog!

perfectmamasconfess said...

Loved this post. I did this exercise in a writing class. It was so much fun! My son just did it in his seventh grade English class too!

Self Sagacity said...

pretty cool. it's great to have read about the different ways people live.