Saturday, October 15, 2011

We Made It

Well, we made it up to Wisconsin.

The plane ride wasn't what I would call "fun" or "easy" or even "quiet". The guy in seat 17A might have called it "hell" but whatever. It's not like I could step outside the airplane to keep from disturbing him.

We are all adjusting to the colder weather. I think 60degrees in Texas is a hell of a lot different than 60degrees in Wisconsin, that's all I'm sayin. I looked about one minute shy of crazy when I was walking around yesterday in my shorts & t-shirts, while everyone else had on jeans & sweatshirts. I foolishly thought I could slip on some flip-flops to run to Wal-Mart, but instead I looked around and saw all the other Wisconsinites wearing boots.

I'm having a bit of culture shock, you could say.

And, okay, I'm going to share something with you that might be the tipping point on whether or not I can see myself living here long term. This came as a shock to me, something I NEVER EXPECTED:

Wisconsin is all about the Pepsi.

The only place up here you can get Coke products is McDonalds and the grocery store. WHAT IS UP WITH ALL THE PEPSI LOYALTY, PEOPLE???? It might be a little less painful if they at least also offered Dr. Pepper, since diet Dr. Pepper is a close second to diet Coke, but even DP is not that popular. I don't even know what to do at a restaurant when I ask the waitress, with desperation in my eyes, "Do you have Coke products?" and she sadly answers, "Oh gosh, no. We have Pepsi."

I think I may resort to carrying a flask.

But, to their credit, I haven't yet met a single cranky person. Or impolite. Or anything less than sweet & helpful. These Wisconsin people are totally gold.

I think I might make it here after all.


Texan Mama

17 comments:

Jennifer said...

Carry a Diet Coke in your purse and just ask for a glass of ice. :)

I'm glad y'all made it safely.

Melani said...

I have been out of the loop for a long time, had no idea you moved! Why? I am sure you already posted about that, but I had to ask? You can stay Texan Mama! No one will mind. Wisconsin? Wow what a change. I will pray you can make it home there, you will but it might take some time.

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

Comin' up for sure, ASAP, I love my diet Pepsi.

True no DP most places.

When I was in Wisconsin last, it was a 60 degree morning and people were wearing sundresses and others were wearing jackets. I don't think there are fashion dos and don'ts so much there. Sounds like a good place to live!

Maggie S. said...

Let's hope that is the worst the culture shock lasts. We've been here 5.5 years, and I still think the people here drive too slow.

But I think the drink thing would be worse.

Leiah said...

We were in South Dakota last week and I know exactly what you mean. That Man only drinks Dr Pepper so thank goodness the restaurants at least served sweet tea. One thing I was surprised to see was they had Diet Mountain Dew at the drink fountains at the convenience stores. In fact I got so excited about it That Man told me I should calm down or the people there would think I was one of those crazy Meth heads from the Appalachians. Good luck with move and all the culture shock that's accompanying it!

Gigi said...

Hahahaha! Moving to another state IS a huge culture shock! And the weather anywhere outside of Texas IS different. I swear to you, our 90 degree days here are NOTHING like the 90 degree days in Houston; although you can't tell that to these North Carolinian's. To them hot is hot and they have no real idea of what humidity is....

I'm sorry for the Diet Coke dilemma....yes, there IS a difference between Diet Coke and Pepsi! But no DP? That's inhumane!

I'm so glad you arrived safely. Soon you will be all settled into your new life!

Frogs in my formula said...

Lol. Never would have guessed that about Wisconsin.

Rachael said...

So glad you made it! That is quite an adjustment, I hope it isn't too hard to acclimate!

GunDiva said...

I really hate it when I go some place that does not have my Coke products. I've *learned* to drink Pepsi products if necessary, but ONLY when necessary. I feel for you.

Glad you made it, culture shock and all.

Denise said...

NO DP at restaurants???

Okay, I can officially NEVER LIVE THERE.

In other news, everyone I know who grew up in Wisconsin is incredibly nice. So, yeah, I can totally see everyone being kind.

Bridgett said...

As you know, I'm sort of from Texas, and on his first visit to TX with me, my husband's comment was "I can now say that the best thing about Texas is that there is dr. Pepper everywhere." But the pepsi-focus is new for me. Doesn't seem to be true here either.

Sturgmom said...

Have you tried diet Pepsi? It's my new favorite. I'll never go back to diet coke.

Jennifer said...

Okay here is what is funny- #1- my husband has been in Wisconsin for the past week and a half. Don't ask me where... 'cause I dunno.. **shrugs shoulders**

#2- I have said many things that could possibly get my TExan card yanked, but since leaving Texas, I have found that I.... wait for it.... *GASP* prefer Pepsi. I know, I know....they are striking my name off a residency list in TX somewhere...

nicole said...

Hooray--you made it! Maybe this will be a way to wean yourself off of soda? Not that I'm saying you should--just trying a positive spin! ;)

leslie@gleaninggrace said...

I'm just now catching up, but I am so glad you made it safely!
They should code the US map Red (for Coke) and Blue (for Pepsi) so you "know before you go" - LOL!
They say Pepsi was born in the Carolinas, but I'm a coke girl, all the way!
That said, I agree with Nicole...I gave up sodas of all sorts in the last year..the "real" ones are mostly High Fructose Corn syrup and the diet ones have some not so great artificial sweeteners.
Hope you continue to adapt :-)

Michelle said...

Glad you made it safely!

Amy O'Connor said...

We went up to Wisconsin in April and we were all about the Pepsi scandal. We are a Coke and DP drinking family so we were completely lost. And it was stinkin cold in April! Otherwise, the people were lovely and the sights beautiful.