Monday, November 14, 2011

leggings

Fashion victim. Guilty as charged. Well, not so much "fashion" as you might say "comfort".

So, against my better judgment, I bought two pairs of leggings last year. I really loved the comfort! Felt like sweatpants, only acceptable in public.

Except for one problem.... hmm, how do I put this? Well, I just don't think anyone wants to see that part of my anatomy with such snug material. Everytime I put them on, I remember in high school when I first learned what the term "camel toe" means.

yes, I said it.

SO, the solution? I guess? wear super long shirts to cover it up. Except, I can't ever find shirts long enough to cover ... the area. I could maybe wear maternity shirts, except then I look like I'm pregnant. Which makes sense since IT'S A MATERNITY SHIRT.

I've tried the tunic look but those shirts are just a smidge too short. I am fighting the camel toe tooth and nail.

My daughter loves to wear leggings with boots and a shorter denim skirt. It looks so cute! I toyed around with the idea of wearing that, until I thought it made me look a little desperate - an almost-40-year-old, trying to look 20 years younger or something. Really, I am not afraid to look my age! I just want to look discreet.

So, internet peeps, any suggestions? Links to a possible solution? I'd really like the leggings thing to work since I'm in WI now and the leggings will help me stay warm. BRRR!!!



Texan Mama

12 comments:

Elaine A. said...

Have you tried a shorter dress with them? That's actually what I have on today. I know you are taller than me so maybe a "regular" length dress?

Anyway, I'm wearing a knit "kimono" style dress from Target and black leggings right now and it's one of my favorite and most comfy outfits and the dress covers all the parts no one needs to see in leggings. ;)

Jessica said...

I live in leggings. H&M, Old Navy, Urban Outfitters, usually have longer shirts to cover.

Jennifer said...

I am zero help on this issue. I haven't worn leggings in years.

rach said...

I hate hate HATE when people wear tights as pants- they are sooo not pants!! I have the same problem as you- the long shirt never ever seems long enough for me. I'm a big fan of casual dress with leggings.....here is a google image of one i thought was cute

http://images1.chictopia.com/photos/heck/9098893063/blue-tights-silver-dress-white-grandmas-single-pearl-necklace_400.jpg

nicole said...

I just bought my first leggings. But I bought them to wear with a specific top. Just keep looking, you'll find tunics and longer shirts. Dresses are good too.

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

Is your husband taller than you? Borrow his shirts...

Jennifer said...

I'm short so I can't help you here... shirts are all long on me.

I bought this dress this season http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?searchCID=68131&vid=1&pid=871189&scid=871189002

and I wear it with leggings and boots. It looks really cute

nicole said...

I bought this top (it is long, like past mid-thigh on me) and it is so comfortable and cute with leggings.

http://www.target.com/p/Mossimo-Women-s-Wide-Neck-Sweatshirt-Assorted-Colors/-/A-13690902

Gigi said...

Came back to tell you that I saw the perfect sweater dress for you at Belk's today. Then noticed my previous comment never showed up! :-(

But seriously, get to Belk (if you have one. If not something similar) and look for one.

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

So, do tell, what did you do?

Texan Mama @ Who Put Me In Charge said...

ah, well, I went to Old Navy online & bought 3 dresses - one definitely is going back, one I'm on the fence about, and one I'm keeping. I also found, by chance, a dress at Target on sale. I guess I'd not considered dresses - I kept looking for long shirts. That was my problem.

I also bought another pair of leggings. :)

Anonymous said...

Dee from Tennessee

I bought a dress that's waaaaaaaaaay too young for me - but I don't care. But.....I am going to wear it as a top over leggings...it reminds me of my college days DECADES ago-- buhahah!! And I am a S.E.N.I.O.R. CITIIZEN!!! Just not wearing purple yet....lol