Thursday, January 19, 2012

Breakfast


My day starts way before breakfast. I am usually awoken around 5am, when either Violet or Sally poke me to move over so they can slide into the bed next to me. No matter how many times I point to the pile of blankets on the ground and explain, "there's no room up here! Sleep down there by the comfy pillow," they don't care. They'd prefer 6 inches of mattress next to mama over 2 feet of space on the floor.

Once one of them (or, sometimes both) climb in the bed, the kicking and fidgeting and whispering and giggling starts. It's not the worst way to wake up in the morning, but since I usually don't get to bed before midnight that snuggle party just comes too early in the morning.

At 6am the alarms finally go off, one after another in various bedrooms. Someone hits snooze, someone else gets up and hits the shower. I look at the red numbers on the clock and make deals with myself about how quickly I can get up and get the kids off to school. If I really push the envelope, I get up at 6:30 and check who's doing what. I find someone still sleeping, someone else still in the shower, and someone on the couch, awake and wrapped up in a blanket, making no movement toward getting ready for the day. I think, for a moment, they are trying to hide in plain sight under cover of a blue fleece blanket.

I start right in. Get your shoes on! Eat your breakfast! Brush your teeth and put on deodorant! Where's your hat and gloves? Is your backpack by the front door? Do you need this math book for school today? Where is your lunchbag from yesterday? MOVE! FASTER!!!!

By now I'm cursing myself for sleeping too late. I'm counting the minutes until the bus will show up at the end of our driveway. I'm telling myself that tomorrow will be better. Tomorrow will be easier. Tomorrow I will have all my shit together. But wait, isn't today just a repeat of yesterday and the day before? My mornings seem to be on a continuous loop.

What do you want for breakfast? One wants toast with peanut butter. One wants sugared cereal. one doesn't want anything ... until 2 minutes before walking out the door. By that time I'm ready to poke myself in they eye. I'm wondering, Why didn't I buy that box of Pop-Tarts? Sure, they're filled with sugar and a terrible excuse for nourishment, but HELLO? Breakfast in 10 seconds, max. Sometimes I need that. No one wants the same thing. No one ever wants something easy.

Then it's on to making lunches. No mustard on one. No bread on another. Find an alternative for granola bars, since one person hates them and life is only fair if there are the EXACT SAME NUMBER OF ITEMS in each lunch box. Purple drink for one person, Red drink for another, Blue for the third. These are the facts that fill the capacity of my brain - not literature or history or current events; I know who likes ham and who like Cheetos.

Finally, everyone is bundled and backpacked and booted. Wait, there's 3 minutes until the bus comes. Can we watch TV? HELL NO YOU CAN'T - JUST SIT THERE AND WAIT FOR THE DAMN BUS.

On the one hand, I can't blame them for trying. On the other, they better learn fast which buttons of mine not to push. If momma ain't happy...

This Post is part of Mamakat's Writers Workshop
Mama’s Losin’ It


Texan Mama

12 comments:

Dumb Mom said...

You should quit your spying on my house! Well before 2012. I've given up morning yelling and now I only do it when they really, really want me to! :)

Jennifer said...

If there is a mom somewhere that doesn't have these issues in the morning I don't want to know her. Our house is a den of insanity every morning between 6:30 and 6:50.

Melinda Ott said...

My children are not yet old enough for school, but I believe you just gave me a glimpse into my future!

SUPAHMAMA! said...

My kids don't like anything alike either. I feel like I'm not so much in charge of them as they are of me all of a sudden.

Jennifer said...

The is the ONLY reason Zoe's school placement debacle this year was good. Zoe's bus comes an hour and 20 minutes after Noah's. So, I wake Noah up and corral him out the door, and THEN I wake Zoe up and can corral her. Not that there isn't still rushing around,frustration, hurrying and ridiculous requests- it is just that it is one at a time instead of times 2.

Gigi said...

Well, on the bright side, your kids get themselves up and going (for the most part) - usually, I have to go wake mine up. Usually about two or three times.

Bridgett said...

Den of insanity indeed. Middle girl is lazy, but lunch for the oldest is what drives me right over the edge--nothing "dry" can touch anything "wet" and we use bento boxes, so everything touches something; nothing mushy unless it is hot and mushy in a thermos; no granola bars, no fruit anything except real, raw, fruit; and her classroom is peanut free.

nicole said...

Wow. My mornings seem downright calm now. Maybe because my kids are younger? I make one thing for breakfast. I'm mean. I make lunches the same, just remembering what kind of chips one likes and what kind of fruit one won't eat. I am not a morning person at all and I think my kids have learned to just go along. Or maybe this will all change as they get older.

Beau's Mom said...

Must go hug my Maltese now. Empty nest is not a syndrome: it's a celebration.

The Bipolar Diva said...

oh that brought back so many memories. my youngest is 13 now and the only one still in school, besides the ones in middle school. Luckily after about the 4th kid or so I trained them to do it themselves. But morning bed snuggles are great. there are days when I wake up to find one of my twenty nine year old daughters in my bed....and they're both MARRIED and live 15 minutes away!

Aunt Crazy said...

Would it be possible for some of them to make their own lunches at night and some to make their own breakfasts?

I hated mornings with my kids when they were younger. Now, one is gone to college and the other in is high school and gets herself up and is ready to go when I'm ready to go. It DOES get easier!!!

Melani said...

I have missed you so much! I don't get on the computer near as much as I would like to.

Wow and I thought I had rough mornings just trying to get one out the door in 45 minutes. and then another one an hour later!

It will get easier when they are older, I swear! then they can make their own lunches, the night before!