Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Mom Jeans

I'm 40 now. Did you know that?

I think my "about me" page says that I'm 38 and I guess I will just let that slide for a while. I could use a few extra years. I've been moisturizing, after all. Maybe no one will notice.

Turning 30 was no big deal for me. I didn't feel OLD or anything like that. Some of my friends bemoaned turning 30 - OH it's the end of being YOUNG! pshaw. I finished being young when I realized that I had developed a love of waking up early and a 3-wine-cooler limit.

When I turned 30, I had a 2-year-old and an 8-month old. (two months later I'd be prego again but I'm just talking about when I had my 30th birthday. My birthday, by the way, was back in January so I guess this self-reflection is about 5 months late.) I felt young enough to tackle the challenge of two young toddlers and loved playing the part of the vibrant, enthusiastic, young-but-not-too-young mom.

Now I am 40 and again, I have a 2-year-old. I'm not so vibrant anymore. As a matter of fact, I would describe my appearance most days to a wilted flower - you can see there was beauty and life there once but it just hasn't received enough love, attention, or sustenance to keep it going. I still can recognize basic clothing trends and I'm smart enough to wear clothes that fit. I like to blend with the general public, as much as possible.

But, like I said, I'm moisturizing. Baby steps, people.

I had knee surgery two weeks ago. I was hanging up a tree swing for my 2 young girls, Sally and Violet, and when I jumped out of the tree (!!!) I twisted my knee, then as a matter of consequence I landed on said twisted knee and yelped out some expletives, which (sadly) my toddlers have grown accustomed to. I told them, "I'm going to vomit." I didn't, but I did have to explain what "vomit" means to a toddler.

After an MRI and some physical therapy, it was determined that my knee had no ACL left, and that I had a moderate tear of my lateral and medial meniscus. So, basically, my knee is unstable and pops a lot and not desirable for being a Rockette. The doc made surgery sound like a stroll through a beautiful meadow. Actually, I do think "a walk in the park" was an actual phrase used by him. I'm now 2 weeks post-op and still having trouble bending my knee, walking, and I'm getting all up in my family's grill because the pain feels like someone sticking bamboo shoots underneath my kneecap. If Vicodin didn't make me vomit, I'd be all over it.

While in the doctor's office today for my post-op checkup, I saw a sight that has made me realize, I am very passionate about this one opinion: women should not wear a t-shirt tucked into jeans. It just ain't right. T-shirt and jeans means "casual". Tucked in means "I want to look nice". Those two just don't go together. Add to it, if the jeans are "mom jeans" and the t-shirt is a Walt Disney World t-shirt and you're wearing the jeans with a belt, well then, I have no sympathy for you when people stare and snicker. I am not the fashion police. I'm not even going to claim to be a great dresser. But I DO know what I thought of, as a fresh-outta-college grad, about women who morphed into moms who lost any shell of their former selves. I thought, I don't know what I'm going to look like, but I know what I'm NOT going to look like. And.... I'm not going to tuck my Magic Kingdom t-shirt into a pair of Mom Jeans and put on a belt, then pair it with a pair of Reebok walk-fit sneakers. nuh-uh.

So, in case you've been wondering what I've been up to, that's about it. Surgery, kids' end-of-school-year activities, and taking pictures. I'd say I'm going to try to keep up more but I don't want to give you false hope, in case I get super busy.

After all, I'll be busy moisturizing.


Texan Mama

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

I hear ya! I stepped out of our camper wrong the other day and rolled my ankle. I hobbled around swearing, trying to still look cool, because others were watching and finally got to where I could put weight on it. I knew then I didn't break it or anything. So, later that evening, while examining and swelling ankle that was turning lovely shades of blue and green, I informed my husband that I would just walk it off and be back to normal by Zumba on Thursday. He looked at me like I was nuts. He said.. "It is still going to hurt on Thursday you know? It will probably be sore for a few weeks." I stared at him like he was dumb and said, " No! I used to twist my ankle all the time when I was twirling. It has to do with my high arches and how I step on my foot. It always hurt the first day and within two days was all better." He just continued to stare like I had two heads and finally said, "Well... you were SIXTEEN then... you are THIRTY NINE now..... it is going to take a bit." And right then I realized, getting old sucks. I don't want to have injuries and limp around.... and you know what? He was right.. It's been three days since I stepped out of the camper and it still hurts pretty bad. I hate him.

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

Um, I'm 51, and I sometimes wear my jeans with my shirt tucked in and a belt. And my jeans aren't mom jeans (hello, a few years ago I worked at Gap part-time and it was my mission to get women out of mom jeans and into something hip.)

I also own no Reebooks or Mouse shirts. The "mom" look that slays me? The capri jean with running shoes. Uh-uh, do NOT go there.

However, if you ever do come to Chicago, I think I know what to wear...jean capris with a belt, a tucked in shirt and running shoes!

Sexy!

kristi said...

I work with women who wear capris and heels....that is tacky. Sandals and capris or flip flops and capris are okay...but heels No! And I will be 39 this month and do not feel old.

Gigi said...

YAY - so glad to "see" you! Boo - for the knee! (What in Sam's Hill were you thinking?! Don't you KNOW after 39 you can't just go jumping out of trees!)

While I'm not America's Next Top Model - I do have VERY firm ideas about what people should and shouldn't wear. And what you described is a definite "DON'T."

Hope your knee mends soon!

GunDiva said...

Bummer about the knee :(

And for the record, I only tuck in my t-shirt when it gets in the way of my gun belt. So I broke your fashion rule on Sunday and, yes, I know it looked like crap, but I could reach my gun and all of my magazines at the match. As soon as the match was over, I untucked the t-shirt AND took off the belt. SWEAR!

Jennifer said...

Doctors always make things sound easier than they will be. Next time? Ask the nurse.

Kayla said...

Ran across your blog a few weeks ago. I absolutely LOVE it. My friend and I laugh ALL THE TIME about "Mom jeans" so I had to comment and say this was awesome and I emailed it to her immediately!

Thanks for blogging- your honesty is awesome and verbalizes so much of what happens in my own heart, life, mind, experience, etc.

Swizz said...

Tee hee! Mom jeans! Love it...

And you and I must have had surgery almost on the same day. Except mine was on my shoulder. And although the drugs help the pain they make you irr-it-able!

And sleep? Forget about it!

Here's to the both of us 40/almost 40 year olds getting better and kicking some younger hiney!

Oh, and moisturizing! :o)

nicole said...

So sorry about the knee! I hope it is getting better now (I'm a little behind). My husband had surgery on his meniscus almost two years ago--sadly, it didn't really help. :( Hope your outcome is better.