Monday, July 16, 2012

get out of my head

Sometimes I just gotta get out of my head.

(It's easier said than done though. Right?)

Lately I've been waking up early and I can't fall back to sleep because I start to roll things around in my head that I've done, or things that I still need to do, or things I did but did wrong, or things I could have done better....

And sensibly I KNOW that these things aren't a huge deal. Like buying a book for $40 for my kid, thinking he'd love it, and then he says, "Mom, why did you think I'd like this?" *sigh* okay. But there's $40 I can't get back.So, not that huge of a deal. We all make purchases that we look back on and think, "Well, next time I'll know better." But for me it makes me lose sleep.

I worry about bills we haven't even gotten yet. I worry about problems that haven't arisen yet. I worry about issues that are smaller than I make them out to be.

I think typing it all out helps a little bit.

Texan Mama

6 comments:

Debbie said...

Me, too. My question is when you think these things out loud, do the rest of your family roll their eyes and make exasperating sounds? Please say yes. I don't want to be the only one standing out in left field because I'll worry about that, too.

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

Okay, I have to ask, what book?

And...why can't you return it?

Jennifer said...

I used to do this all the time. My doctor gave me drugs. Now I sleep.

Gigi said...

Depending on how often these things keep you up at night you might want to talk to a doctor. Now, with that being said; I've heard that if you write down all your to-do's, worries, etc. then your brain will realize that you've put them in a safe place for recalling later and will let you shut down and sleep. That's the option I'd go with first.

As for the book - why can't you return it? And if you can't; is it possible that another one of your children might like it when they are old enough?

Tara R. said...

I wake up early too worrying about things that haven't happened yet. I bring trouble that almost never come about. Sometimes just writing it out, like you did here, brings me back to ground.

kristi said...

I worry a lot too. I haven't been sleeping too well...I so understand this post!