Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Resale Therapy

I L.O.V.E. shopping at resale shops. Really, there is no happier place for me.

Maybe at one time, shopping second-hand stores was a sign of desperation, a tell-tale mark of a family who has been hit by hard times or struggling to get by.

Not so much in my case. I just love it and here are some of the reasons:

1. The variety. Oh My Goodness, the variety. I am never at a loss looking for clothing at my local Goodwill store. (I have a pretty decent Goodwill. I've been to some that are disorganized and in those cases, I actually DON'T like shopping there.) Everything is sorted by clothing type, then by size, then further sorted by color. So, all the ladies, large, green shirts are right there together. Then yellow, then pink, then black, then white, etc. Short sleeve, long sleeve, sleeveless, etc. Super easy to look and find what I want.

2. The price. I can't believe I didn't put this one first, but it's right at the top of the list. Last night I went to the Resale shop and I bought two skirts and 4 shirts for $4 each. That's only $24 for all those outfits. At the mall, $24 could barely buy a pair of jeans - ONE pair. And $4 per piece of clothes absolutely isn't cheap for resale but still it's a great price. I've gone to St. Vincent de Paul and gotten clothes for 99 cents many times. I've shopped local thrift shops and gotten stuff-a-bag of clothes for $5. It's... addictive.

3. Name brand quality. Okay, that might sound odd but really - I've bought everything from Ann Taylor to Talbots to Gap to Banana Republic. I've gotten my kids tons of American Eagle t-shirts. I've bought Levis and Old Navy and Polo. And if something is built to last, it will last. I can tell by looking at a shirt or coat or pair of pants, even if I'm not the first owner, how much life it has left in it.

4. Feeling Good. I love knowing that my purchase is helping not-for-profit agencies. This doesn't make me turn away from for-profit thrift stores, but I love buying things from our local pregnancy support resale shop because I know where the money is going. I love telling them to add a dollar or two to my bill to make my support just a tiny bit more significant. I feel like, how can one person make any difference at all in the growing needs of the poor, the under-served, the needy? I don't know if my purchase makes a difference but I like to think that it does.


Texan Mama

8 comments:

Ellen Stewart (aka Ellie/El/e/Mrs. Seaman) said...

I need to start shopping Goodwill. The one time I went there for myself, I did find brand names and was quite pleased.

It's so green, no matter what the color!

Tara R. said...

I love thrift stores! If you're willing to spend some time hunting, you can find some wonderful deals.

Amy said...

I LOVE thrift store shopping. Why? Because I can buy all sorts of brands and styles in one location. I also have certain "needs" in my clothing. I'm busty, but still (at this point) have a waist. I'm 5'6". I need to know how and if something is going to shrink. Will the pants give me a muffin top after being washed and dried? Will a shirt become wide and short, or is my backfat going to be exposed in all its glory by shrinking a different way? Buying something retail that doesn't fit after washing and drying it once is depressing.

Jennifer said...

5. It's green. It really is a form of recycling when you think about it. I wish I could get into it. I've tried, but the times I've gone I just didn't find anything and it was discouraging.

Texan Mama @ Who Put Me In Charge said...

Yes! I forgot that one of my favorite things about resale shopping is that I already know what the clothes will look like after I wash them - they come TRULY pre-shrunk!

Plus, if my clothes get stained or ruined by one of the kids (which oftentimes happens) or if I get tired of some fashion, I don't feel too guilty since I didn't break the bank to buy it in the first place!

Gigi said...

I keep trying but with limited success. I need to keep trying. Although, I did find a fabulous wool coat last year.

Nicole said...

I so agree with you! I'm possibly addicted. Goodwill, Value Village, etc. I love the treasure hunt, and 1/2 off tags. :)

Bridgett said...

You have to go often--sometimes I walk out with nothing--and it helps to have measurements with you of the people you're shopping for because sizes don't always mean anything. I find great stuff thrifting and I never worry about where or who might have made something (like sweatshops, etc) because I'm not buying it retail--I'm saving it from the landfill. Here we have a goodwill buy-by-the-pound that I have avoided because I fear what I will bring home on a cheap whim. But I'll go and hunt at a salvation army/goodwill/st vincents/value village/disabled vets place...all our "big wheels" have been $2 purchases from resale; kids sleeping bags, clothes, school uniforms, coffee tables, kitchen stools, gah, crazy amounts of stuff not new in my house...